Reviews for Shine Down on Me
Kampilan is not Anonymous chapter 1 . 5/31/2011
I did promise to review this MONTHS AGO but as always, sh*t happened so I'm terribly sorry for the delay. Moving on to the review, I think this is just all honesty, I never imagined Nao pairing up with anyone (not even with Fujino. srsly).

Of course, that was before I read this work of yours. You've made the pairing so convincing. I like how you portrayed Mikoto's maturity in this fanfic. Thank god she isn't just some drooling, gluttonous boob-groping little twerp. And Nao is smart and not overly obnoxious for a change. All in all, lovely lovely piece of work you've got here. Never put the pen down.
ethicsforsale chapter 2 . 5/10/2011
Ahh Mad, I'd been meaning to read this story for ages, and today I finally did. I'm usually a little bit wary of stories that put Mikoto in romantic situations, but as always, your mastery of that unique brand of cleverness and subtlety did not disappoint.

Both are tiptoeing at the precipice of sexuality - yes, both. Despite Nao's keen, snarky wit, you've still managed to make her come across as very much of an innocent. I don't think any other writer I've seen has written her that way, but I love it. They are as different as night and day, but similar in ways I've never really noticed before. They remind me of young cheetahs. Inexperienced, with an undeniable cute factor, but with teeth no less sharp and dangerous.

Very, very well done. :)
E.M.PRAETORIAN chapter 2 . 4/24/2011
I am so glad I waited to enjoy this fully. You have given me an Easter treat of such delightful reading. It is nice to see another author showing love to this pairing, there are so few good NaoKoto stories to read. Thanks for telling this tale and making me smile, the frustration of creation was not in vain. _~

elder master
No Make Girl chapter 2 . 4/24/2011
An utterly strange pairing, but absolutely brilliant and, dare I say it, even cute. I totally enjoyed it.
manekinekotan chapter 2 . 4/23/2011
Very enjoyable way to bring together Nao and Mikoto.

Seeing this side of Mikoto is both surprising and refreshing. The predator mentality puts the former cat-girl on common ground as Nao. And while that feral, untamed nature still is strong within her, Mikoto shows herself to be very astute in judging Nao's expressions, moods, and intentions. And despite being so laconic, she's also pretty good at teasing the fiery red head - strategically pitting her own blunt sincerity against Nao's natural sarcasm.

When I went back to "Rain Down on Me", I noticed that you really did a great job at balancing Nao and Mikoto out that way. Nao is cynical and sarcastic, jaded beyond her years, skilled at cutting down egos with hurtful words, and distrustful of change. On the other hand, Mikoto is open, sincere, optimistic, and forward-looking. And yet both have dark pasts which were hurtful, and both see a lot more than others give them credit for. Their differences, and their commonalities, make the pairing here work.

Great work!
DezoPenguin chapter 2 . 4/23/2011
Ahh, shiny! _- Seriously, it's good to see this fic continue; I like seeing the two of them together (though it would also be enjoyable to see them in a longer story where their characters could be more developed, though I suppose you've got plenty of your own plotbunnies trying to get out of the hutch where you don't need to start taking requests!). Mikoto is interesting here because she comes off as very Mikoto, but also clearly as being a more knowing and mature version of herself; while she still has trouble expressing what she is feeling she definitely doesn't have trouble understanding what those feelings are, in contrast to her issues throughout the series.

Nao is cute, and snarky ("You suck at flattery" ... "Wander the town realizing how much it sucks not to have money?") and Mikoto's simple and direct compliments ("Nao's food is best"; "I like looking at you.") make a nice contrast to that. I can also see how that would entertainingly disconcert, but also have a very strong appeal to Nao, because while Mikoto might or might not love her forever, she'd always be someone that Nao could trust rather than having to watch her back all the time with (as I cannot see Nao as someone who would love easily or comfortably, given her past).

So, thank you for giving us more of this unusual pairing!
oncoming-traffic chapter 2 . 4/22/2011
I'm going to say just one thing: I'm fulfilled. *dissolves into green sparkles*

(Okay, maybe not just one...) I didn't expect less, thanks for writing the second part of the story. I was looking forward to it and you surely didn't disappoint me. The conclusion was sweet and light, but at the same time it gave off a sense of content (ooor something like that, because surely there is a better word to describe it out there).
Crosswood chapter 2 . 4/22/2011
AHAHAHA! Woot! Sorry - great celebration here at this second part of your wonderful story. I'll confess to re-reading the draft a couple of times after I got to see it because... ooo boy, this is a cracker of a thing.

Nao and Mikoto... in anyone else's hands this would be crack, but nope - here they are mellow and sweet, they are desperate and lonely, they are harsh but truthful, which is a very weird type of kindness.

I especially like the references to both Mikoto and Nao being hunters, of types - and wild animals as well. Then who is the hunter that is pursuing the prey in this story? And who is the quarry? XD

No, this is an fabulous thing - this is the transformation of Mikoto from child to adult, of growth, and of growth for Nao because she is able to see that. Thank you so much for these three stories - they are excellent.
DezoPenguin chapter 1 . 4/19/2011
Ah! So you wrote it after all! This was a nice little "time passes" short, more of a long vignette, really, showing Mikoto's transitioning from "feral kid with stunted emotional maturity" into someone who might be able to carry her own end in a romantic story. I like the idea that Mikoto is so far behind the learning curve on most things that she learns better from those who don't know them and have to struggle to learn (because she not only has to learn, she has to learn how TO learn) than from those who are skilled.

Looking forward to more of this little mini-series. Nao always seems to be hanging off the ShizuNatsu side of the cast (who are two and three years older than her...) while Mikoto of course ends up with Mai and Mai's friends and family, so it's interesting to see them "cross over," so to speak, even though it's natural for them to do so since they're the same age...
manekinekotan chapter 1 . 4/18/2011
I really enjoyed how you've given Mikoto real character growth. Really ties in well with Nao's side of the story.

The little vignettes of the other MaiHime characters touching Mikoto's life fit well, from Mai's mothering to Tate recruiting her for the kendo club. Akira tutoring her in kanji was a nice touch. And the scene with Natsuki using food as a key point to explain the importance of school (I'm with Mai - oh the irony) had me snickering, because it really was a Mikoto thing.

Looking forward to the next part! (_)
Crosswood chapter 1 . 4/18/2011
It's a real pleasure to get to see these little stories first; 'Rain Down on Me' is one of my favourite things, and it filled me with intense amounts of squee to get a follow-up story as well. And soon we'll all get another! **Dances** This equals pure gold.

Mikoto's point of view isn't often tackled - still less her as a quiet, introspective, intelligent young woman. Her character growth in these stories is some of the best depictions of her around; it's rather excellent to get to read.

Thank you very much for posting these up, and I can't wait for the next one.
oncoming-traffic chapter 1 . 4/18/2011
Need I mention that making a Mikoto PoV story with Mikoto actually revealing she has some thought-process going inside her little cute head is brilliant? Now you've made me curious what Nao's side will be like. *pouts* That was your motive all along, right? Making poor readers wonder... .
Yuri-hime chapter 1 . 4/18/2011
Beautiful. Stunningly beautiful~

Mikoto was always one of my fave characters in the series, only slightly behind Shizuru

Very introspective and deep. You give Mikoto a true voice that she lacked in the series proper. Looking forward to the true sequel of this fic series 3

Keep up the excellent writing~