Reviews for Rise and Fall
Starbuck0322 chapter 1 . 4/23/2011
Wow! Once again your beautiful imagery has me lost for words. I was saddened by the night part, by Cal's point of view, until "That mistakes can be washed away, regrets can be buried just a little deeper, and by the time the sun sets again tomorrow, the whole world could have changed" where I found a bit of hope. I like the idea that Cal keeps trying to start over with each new day. And there's hope in that as much as in Gillian's happiness in seeing the sun creep into the night's sky.
divakat chapter 1 . 4/22/2011
And this right here is why I put you up on a little pedestal. I can't write in metaphor like this. It's such a completly different gift.

It's astounding how well this imagery captures who they are and works so well. I read this through 3 times and at first i found it saddened me. On further reads though, I find hope in it.
fhestia chapter 1 . 4/22/2011
Can't really give you a in-depth, thoughtful commentary on this. I can just say that like Cal, I prefer the sunset. I tend to approach new days with a pessimistic air, always thinking "Oh, what the hell is going to happen TODAY?" By evening, whatever's going to happen has usually happened, and what the night doesn't smooth over, a good sleep will take care of. Does it speak to wanting to control other people and situations, or of being distrusting at heart? Is it a need for the dark and the shadows to hide yourself in? Regardless, this was a gorgeous, thoughtful story.
Rugbygirrl chapter 1 . 4/19/2011
I love how opposite the opinions are and yet Lightman's wasn't as pessimistic as I thought it would be. It's kind of like he's looking forward to a clean slate for tomorrow (probably to ask for forgiveness for all the trouble he gets into the night before!) While Foster, and all of her optimism can't wait for a bright, sunny day ahead of her.
VEEBS8 chapter 1 . 4/19/2011
This made me think of how perfect they are for each other although they are so different; yin yang!

Beautifully written. Your stories and gift for writting never cease to amaze me! :D
HughSoSexy chapter 1 . 4/18/2011
This says to me that they couldn't be any more different. She looks for beginnings, he looks for ends. She revels in the light, and he in the darkness. They find their solitude in different places. And yet, amidst all that, they are incredibly the same. Perfect opposites almost. Very yin and yang. They complement each other perfectly, and together make a perfect whole.

So, what were you thinking?
csiAngel chapter 1 . 4/18/2011
Aww, absolutely beautiful descriptions. I like how what they like seems totally opposite, but is essentially very similar; the way the two sentiments go together. And, as your summary said, how you can't have one without the other. And I like that these are such good representations of the characters. Sunrise is very Gillian, and sunset very Cal. This is a very clever piece :)
UseYourWords chapter 1 . 4/18/2011
Gillian likes the sunrise...something you and I are soon going to be awake for. Okay, neither of us will be awake quite ~that~ early, but closer to it. :)

I think it makes sense for her to like the sunrise because she's so happy and bright while Cal likes the sunset because he's much darker and sort of has more to hide. I really liked it.
Lil.Miss.JoJo.33 chapter 1 . 4/18/2011
I loved this! LOVED!

Favorite:::

The good things can last until tomorrow, if you carry them with you, but the bad you can try to let go of, knowing that tomorrow will be another day where you can do things differently.
CharlieBravo chapter 1 . 4/18/2011
I need to know your thought processes behind this one please! At first I didn't know what to make of it. I read it four times after that lol. What I get from it in terms of the Cal/Gillian dynamic is:

They are as different as day and night. Yet day cannot exist without night. The presence of one is dependent on the other - interweaving an intricate and eternal symbiosis that no man can do away with.

The comfort in the consistency, the reassurance that no matter what, the sun will still rise and thus set, is akin to the comfort they find in each other. Gillian knows Cal will always be there for her and vice versa.

Okay, my brain hurts now:p I could be taking this a bit too far actually. Anyway! It's a beautifully written piece. Easy to read and great imagery!
tinlizzie82 chapter 1 . 4/18/2011
interesting. I will be back to write a proper review once I have had the time to chew on it a little.
nikkidog chapter 1 . 4/18/2011
I could probably read this 10 times and come away with 10 different perspectives. Right now I'm seeing that she looks for the good in a fresh start and he looks for the good in closure. Not really opposites, just a different way a viewing life's challenges. Her : "the many possibilities that this new day could bring" Him: "knowing that tomorrow will be another day where you can do things differently."

Once again, excellent writing. Thanks!
lietomebaby chapter 1 . 4/18/2011
Well written. Poetic, but not my thing. Sorry if I put it so bluntly, but you know I'm your fan!