Reviews for In Blood and Shadows
kimbo19 chapter 2 . 8/31/2011
This is so wonderful,I love HOTU and your doing it so well. Your OC is so similar to a druid i played through with, it's so entertaining XD.
Crimson Rogue chapter 8 . 8/31/2011
Things are really heating up. I really enjoyed the interactions between Jaraxle and Alasse in this chapter, and how you capture Viconia's utter bitchiness.

I got the games a few days after my last review, and while my stupid PC refuses to allow me to play the first game I have gone through SoA and ToB several times by now. And I must say it was worth the wait and more. And playing the games has given me a new appreciation for how you're characterizing the BG characters. All of them are pretty much spot on.
Mad Hatt chapter 8 . 8/31/2011
Your party in BG sounds...difficult. And fun, granted. Explains a lot about Alasse.

I'll send a reply with what I've written. I sort of had to make her a draegloth descendent because I would imagine it's awfully hard to make Dark Pacts in the swamp. And with Daeghun as a father. Very hard to lie to that man... I imagine the Bluff skill would have been through the roof if it wouldn't have unbalanced the game.

The chapter was great. I was amused at how Deekin was the only one she wanted to keep alive. As for Jarlaxle, he is my favourite drow. Well, him and Kimmuriel, for totally different reasons. He was very in-character and very amusing. Curious about his motivations, though. Will we be seeing more of him?

Also you had a very similar idea to getting rid of the ilithid as I had. Well, when facing ilithid, it is best to have giths around. It was a great read, nonetheless. Beholders next?
ScarletSecrets1234 chapter 7 . 7/29/2011
Great story. You are a talented writer :)
Crimson Rogue chapter 7 . 7/25/2011
I both love and hate you right now.

Love because you're taking one of my favorite games of all time and giving it the proper justice that far too people are willing to give it - and yes I include fixing the plot holes like the friendly drow in that assessment. And hate because you're making me ache to have the Baldur's Gate Compilation I ordered last week get here faster. Only four more days and I can finally see why everyone loves it so much. Though given from what you've written here, I can start to see why that might be.

All in all, I've enjoyed this story immensely so far and I simply cannot wait to see the next installment.
Nedy Rahn chapter 7 . 7/22/2011
You've done great with the end of the elder brain. In one of my games dealing with the brain I managed to get the brain to go along with the deal to be neutral without surrendering the mirror or resorting to killing it. Yet in another play of that situation I would up killing it with my character Silke Rahn, Nedylene Rahn's half-Drow sister and at that time played as a Ranger-Rogue-Shadow Dancer.
Mad Hatt chapter 7 . 7/22/2011
Angelo? THE Angelo? Well, I didn't know about that mod and it definitely came as a surprise. I wonder how it went with Sarevok now...And having a step-daughter like Shar-Teel. Man, she scared me.

I love the way you portray Valen. I always thought he was so mushy despite the whole manly man appearance and yet he was much more amusing to play with for that reason and I always tried to make him blush. His 'I am tainted' routine did get a bit annoying after a while though seeing as he wasn't even a cambion but just a tiefling. The twins in Icewind Dale 2 never had that problem (I liked those two and thought they deserved to win) and neither did Neeshka or Planescape's Annah, but I suppose he does need a gimmick.

Jarlaxle was a perfect fit in the story as was Viconia. And the ilithid wouldn't even bother them much with Kimmuriel around.

My paladin fell too. Then I made him a blackguard. It seemed appropriate.

I can show you some stuff I wrote for my fic, if you want. Be forewarned that it is not beta-read and I am not a native English speaker. I want to add Deekin but his not calling her Boss makes me wonder what her nickname would be and how the interaction would work on top of all the other issues. My drow is very violent/volatile too. And she loves spiders and her grandfather was a draegoloth. I think I bit off a tad more than I could chew while developing her since she always gets out of my control.

I don't think Soulafein was OOC. We only see a glimpse of his real personality in game, most being just an act and while I like the mod that developed him, I also thought it a bit ...different than what I imagined him as. Possibly because I don't like Elistraee much and find excessive poetry and song not practical enough for a Drow Weaponmaster Male. I prefer Lolth or Vhaerun, anyway.

Can't wait for the Sarevok bits then. He's always been my favourite character (I blame the wicked voice). Keep up with the awesome work.
Raieyana chapter 6 . 7/16/2011
I found this story late last night (early this morning?) during a bout with insomnia and too much caffeine, and I ended up reading it, on an iPod, into the wee hours of the morning before I finally passed out and finishing it first thing upon dragging myself out of bed. Love it so far! I have always dabbled with the idea of my BG character in the HoTU story and it's nice to find one to read )

Alasse is a very interesting character, and she keeps me guessing. Just when I think I have her figured out, she turns around and does something totally different, lol. I like neutral characters for just that reason; they are a lot harder to predict. I also enjoy the cameos that former characters make. Aerie really surprised me; I wasn't expecting that at all. And Solaufein! *fans self* - He was the first mod I added to the game and therefore, he's got a special place in my heart for saving me from an eternity with Anomen XD

I don't normally review stories (though I should, it sucks to write and get nothing .) but I wanted to poke my head out and say that I am enjoying the story and that I am looking forward to updates. I also wanted to throw in my guess. I'm not sure that I have enough info to go on, but I'm guessing Angelo? I only played that mod once and honestly don't remember it well (I never did the romance, it kinda creeped me out, but I read it with the IE Explorer), but it popped to the forefront and won't go away )
Anon chapter 1 . 7/13/2011
You know, I love your take on the underdark. It seems much more...sinister than it was in hotu. The drow politics are actually making sense here. Keep up the good work and my only criticism is that I have to wait for the next chapter!
Mad Hatt chapter 1 . 7/6/2011
Finally found my account.

The reason I don't ever play paladins is because some choices were terribly stupid. At least NWN doesn't change alignment that much. Playing MotB as an evil coward is nearly impossible.

During the ilithid city quest, I refused to hand over the helm the first time and ended up in a whole city battle. And the reinforcements they provide for the final battle? Two ilithid and two bugbears? Really? Don't overstress yourself, guys. Of course, Valen was the one who pretty much destroyed all the forces of the Valsharess on his own, making me shout "Why the hell am I even here?". Honestly, he could have levelled the whole of Underdark on his own.

I also expected Zessyr to betray me. You didn't even have any evidence that Matron Myrune was going to sell out the Seer. It was just a filler quest and it could have been so much better.

About my NWN2 char...well it's difficult, but not impossible. I was thinking of having the SoU hero killed. And with Valen...well it depends if the characters will completely get out of my control. They might. But I did want a hostile/friendly but at least respectful relationship. Now that I'm looking at HotU from NWN2 char's point of view, he reminds me of Okku. I'm having more trouble with the Waterdeep parts of it and the fact that in order to be a warlock I had to tweak her race a bit. Dark pacts would be quite hard to do in West Harbour. I like your suggestions...I like discussing the story because it gives me ideas. I don't want to put it online and then forget about it because I'm stuck.

I'm ecstatic that you added Soulafein. Can't wait for Sarevok then...and to finally know who Alasse's husband was. And whatever happened to Imoen, anyway? So many questions...

I'll be eagerly waiting for the next chapter.
Dak chapter 5 . 6/30/2011
Glad you allow the anonymous reviews. Gotta admit, I like this so far. Hope to see more.
Me chapter 5 . 6/19/2011
I really need to start an account.

I always tried to do a work around the whole morality issue. My character in BG was a half elf who started out Lawful Good, turned Neutral Evil by ToB and ended up Chaotic Neutral. It seemed a bit bi-polar but it fit with the events. Same with the characters in NWN, although it was much easier to keep the alignment shifting then.

I am excited and interested to know that you will change the ilithid city. It was just ...too easy. Go in, have an odd scene with some dude/gal that you didn't know who said he/she was your lover, get out and that's it. And squid-faces were threatening why? Especially since they were such a pain in Icewind Dale or BG.

And thank you for driving sense into the whole drow murder issue. Zesyyr would have had to be insane to trust the surfacer with killing her mother like that. The Underdark was supposed to be dark and yet ...you're right. They were all too good. No petty cruelty or morality issues and hard choices. In BG you saw slaves being blown up for amusement, a town wiped out just because and random attacks here and there. The worst thing in NWN is a couple of drow forcing a svirfneblin to drink and some argument between themselves.

I never actually stopped working on the NWN 2 hero in NWN story, but it has a lot of details I'm not sure how to approach. What happened to the hero of SoU, why did Deekin not recognize her, how would Waterdeep react to a non-hostile drow and also...will Valen murder her? She was a warlock with the Infernal Heritage feat so they might really clash considering her favourite pastime (summoning demons and devils). And she might end up being the only one acting like a drow in the whole city. She also hates all gods and their faithful...

I have it drafted out but I'm not sure how some things will turn out. If I do write more, I might post it.

I'm not sure I've mentioned this but I love your writing style. It's both concise and evocative and I've no idea how you do it. I'm also checking and rechecking this story habitually to see if you've updated. Yeah, I really need that account.
Nedy Rahn chapter 5 . 6/18/2011
Silver, I think Alasse would fit right in with our world. She is in fact an anti-hero. She really doesn't care about good or evil just as Nedy doesn't actually care about Law or Chaos. Only in Alasse's case it seems that in spite of herself she still does what's right while doing what needs to be done in order to surive. She would have made a great wife for the Outlaw Jose Wales.
Noxae chapter 4 . 6/13/2011
I added this story to my favorites a while ago, and upon coming back to read it again, I realized I forgot to leave a review. Silly me.

I usually shy away from Crossover, but I have to admit the idea of the Bhaal spawn in Neverwinter nights is appealing, and you've managed to pull it off quite remarkably. I'm not a big fan of the Underdark campaign either, but your writing really sells the thing. You really nailed the voice of Deekin in particular. (Loved the joke about Undrentide ) I was also pleasantly surprised to see Aerie make an appearance.

All in all, a very good job. Keep writing, I'm looking forward to the next chapter.
Me chapter 4 . 5/28/2011
Considering I always play with a Neutral something, be it good or Chaotic, Alasse is very interesting. And I always like it when companions hear about the awesome things the PC did in other games

I had once tried to write my NWN 2 drow into the NWN plot (I actually had a good explanation for it at the time) just for that reason. There are a lot of repeated of deja-vu scenes in between all the D&D games like drow, golems, demons...and they're all somewhat unique and interesting enough to make it different.

I agree that a lot of heroes are good and it seems odd considering what they all face. I would at least be cynical.

I love the fact that you add more subplots to the whole affair. It seemed like the game ended a bit too soon with the ally gathering and the enemies were too easy. Can't wait to see what you're writing about next.

While not knowing all the romances BG can have (I was a Sarevok fan if only for his voice) I'll make an attempt...Soulafein or Tsujatha?
38 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 Next »