Reviews for Ennui
squishboots chapter 1 . 1/24/2014
you're probably not still considering the companion piece with eustace, but i'd love that, as i'm sure many others would.

please do;
constantlearner chapter 1 . 6/26/2013
Rather nice.
A Mistake chapter 1 . 5/10/2011
I noticed that not much plot actually went on in the story, but I found myself not minding that too much. You've actually managed to paint a very comfortable picture of an English summer! I didn't know I could miss cricket (the game, not the insect) that much, even if it's just to see other people play it. I caught the feel of the lengthening days and the busy sound of insects at their maximum hum around people picnicking and unwinding in a park. Reading the story triggered all sorts of things I didn't think I still remember, and they came as easily as if it was only yesterday.

I rather enjoy Jill's thoughts; about her friends, about Eustace and the Pevensies. They're illuminating but not excessively so, and never too roundabout that it bores to death. It had a nice narrative balance so far, actually. Of course, it would be a lot more lovely if some plot was going to show up somewhere soon enough.
Calyn chapter 1 . 4/25/2011
This fic has been added to my community. I like to notify people of this, since FF doesn't.
Rosa Cotton chapter 1 . 4/21/2011
How wonderful to see you visit the Narnia fandom again. This was brillent, in my opinion. (Made me suddenly wish the semester is over and summer already here.) I liked the pace, mood of this. And Jill's thoughts... Her confusion at missing Eustace I found very believable. Her recalling past interactions between them in such great detail made me smile.

Oh! And it is a pleasure encountering another Wilkie Collins fan! *shakes Estella by the hand* "The Moonstone" and "The Woman in White" are among my favorite books. And I have to agree with Jill concerning the love story element. The heroine could cut a romantic figure if he wanted.

Thank you for sharing this! Job well done.
fledge chapter 1 . 4/19/2011
A charming little piece indeed, excellently written as always. I do love your exquisite vocabulary - lackadaisically stretching sky - how do you find such ideas? Why The Woman in White? Why not something more revolutionary for that time, like D.H. Lawrence or Virginia Wolfe, for example? Not that I don't like WiW, don't get me wrong, just wondering.

A wonderful description of the way boys would behave towards a girl they fancied without admitting it to themselves (look at Ron/Hermione!), and especially half a century ago.

Of course you realise what you absolutely have to do now? You don't? Write a counterpiece about Eustace musing in a similar way!

Hope you do, and thanks for a fine read.
reneerose chapter 1 . 4/18/2011
During a spot of ennui today was glad to see this NEW Jill and Eustace story! Lovely lovely lovely! I love your stories, all written very descriptively and natural in tone. I want to read the Eustace companion piece! (please?) and maybe more chapters? LOL at "sarcasm-free summer"! If the world hadn't ended they'd for sure have turned romantic! I always thought Jill very literature minded as well. :-)