Reviews for The Changeling
Anonymous A chapter 5 . 7/25
Genius. Ginny always seems to be such a hard character to write in a realistic and human way. And yet you have done both. I loved reading as she matured and found her strength, and I loved the unobtrusive weaving of feminism into the story. I think one of the greatest merits of this story is it's subtlety and character building.

It's truly a shame that this story is not as recognized as it should be, but I sincerely hope you continue to write nonetheless. I look forward to more great work.
Stanley69 chapter 5 . 7/8
Great story. Excellent character development for Ginny, brilliant writing and good portrayal of Slytherin House. I do have a few complaints however :

1. I get that this is mostly a character driven story, but the complete lack of action is annoying at times. I didn't like how the entire DoM stuff was left out completely. More importantly, the latest fight was very meh. Despite having had her doze of Felix Felicis, Ginny does absolutely nothing of significance in the battle. I appreciate your trying for realism, but really, your Protagonist should have some sort of role to play in the important battles. Couldn't we have had a scene where Ginny saves Bill from Greyback or something?

I hope you include the final battle in the story, and have Ginny play some important role in it. Leaving the most important battle out would be a mistake, I think.

2. The latest chapter wasn't very good. I loved chapter 4, but after that chapter 5 was a letdown for many reasons. For one, I expected more moral ambiguity and tough decisions (Could you kill, if you have to?), but we got nothing of the sort. I also expected Voldemort to have more of an impact on Slytherin house in general, and Ginny too. None of Ginny's friends are affected by Voldemort much at all, and life seems to go on pretty much the same way as pre-Voldemort.

3. I'm not sure why does this have to be Harry/Ginny. I really like the Harry/Ginny interactions in your story, but if Ginny ends up marrying the same person and working in the same profession as canon, then the impact of this being an AU is reduced. Surely Slytherin should have more of an effect on Ginny?

4. Unnecessary rehash. A lot of the previous chapter was that. Ginny reacts exactly the same way to Harry after Dumbledore's death that she does in canon. The Percy scene too. A lot of it is canon from Ginny's POV, while this is supposed a major AU.

That's all, I think. I really did like the story, even if I did have some problems with it. Year 4 was the best, whereas year 5 was something of a disappointment. I hope you do work on year 6 though - that is the most important year, one where I hope the Slytherin dynamics and moral ambiguity come into play more. An important battle too. Good luck.

P.S. I would also recommend reading On the way to Greatness by Mira Mirth and Applied Cultural Anthropology by JacobK, which are the best Slytherin!Harry and Slytherin!Hermione respectively. Both of them keep to the major canon plotline, while having enough differences to make things interesting, and great portrayal of Slytherin House too.
philippii chapter 5 . 6/1
I really liked it. The way you described House Slytherin, the parlor, the way Ginny sees Harry... It was awesome. But year three, four and five could have been done in more chapters. They were way too long...
PhilosophersStoner chapter 5 . 4/25
Ahhh! Only just noticed this had been updated! Absolutely fucking amazing as per usual... You are insanely brilliant at writing!
I absolutely love this story and this chapter is perfect.
I particularly liked the Fleur and Ginny friendship which is completely non-canon but, just fits really well into this fic as Ginny knows exactly what it's like to be an outsider and to be lonely in a place that a lot of people call home.
I do kind of wish that you had explored the kiss between Antonia and Ginny more because I think they could have a really interesting relationship. However, I do completely understand if that isn't the way you want this fic to go.
Anyway, this update was awesome, you're awesome and I can't wait for Year Six.
TacoMang chapter 5 . 4/20
Wow. This is amazing! I love how detailed Ginny's character is and how it's never quite clear how's she's going to do something. Also long chapters good :P
Hayden Avery chapter 5 . 4/20
Really brilliant
Ginipig chapter 5 . 4/19
AH! I am so glad you updated! These chapters must take you ages to write, but they're so, so worth the wait. The characterization is just brilliant. Some of my favorite parts:

Fred and George rooting for Gryffindor and Slytherin. Tear-jerking.

Ginny and Smita making up, and then at the end when Ginny realizes they're going different ways. More tears. We've all been there, and it's painful to finally learn that friendships don't last forever.

I *totally* called Ginny and Thompson! Haha! I think they were cute, but she was right, of course. She needs someone who gets her. But their relationship was very nicely (and realistically) done.

It took me until the twins talking about Ginny being totally oblivious, but I called that Antonia would be one of the kisses, too. I loved it! And I really love her. She's such a mystery. It's tempting for authors (myself included) to tell readers EVERYTHING about our characters, but mysteries are just so much more fun :D

"There's a difference between not having power, and choosing not to use it." This is an incredibly powerful quote, and both times it made me get teary. More so with Draco. I'm writing that one down. You used it wonderfully both times.

I really enjoy Ginny and Snape's relationship. I love that he respects her the way he does, and his DADA classes being great was a nice touch. So in character for them both :)

Weasley is Our Queen. Brilliant. It was at that point that I wished Rowling had written Ginny to be as awesome as she is here - and I *love* Ginny in the books. You write her so well, and everyone is so wonderfully realistic and in character. Trust me when I tell you that that (and tears, so two points to you!) is the highest compliment I can give a piece of writing. She is just so damned kick-ass in this story, and her relationship with Harry is so well done. It's not romantic, and I'm not sure it will ever be (and I can't begin to tell you how much I love being surprised by stories, because it doesn't happen too often for me anymore), and I like it. Ginny is not, nor does she need to be, defined by any of the men in her life.

Which brings me to the most amazing part: The Parlor. This is the most beautiful invention of your AU (and your AU is so realistic that I often forget it's AU and that Ginny *wasn't* sorted into Slytherin!). "The world isn't kind to girls with strange ambitions." As a female engineer, I can absolutely relate. Rowling's books, as much as I love them, are often lacking in strong female characters, and I love that you've helped to rectify that - not just by writing Ginny so well, but by showing so many complex women and calling out Slytherin women in particular :)

Just... AH. I can't wait for the next chapter! (And will there be a year seven, after the events of Deathly Hallows?) I admit it's been *years* since I read the HP books, but this story makes me want to reread them. Especially Half-Blood Prince, which was always one of my faves (it went 3, 6, 7 for me), with this as my own personal head-canon! :D Wonderfully done!
DigiEmissary chapter 5 . 4/18
The character work in this chapter was beautiful. Well done.
Duellist chapter 5 . 4/17
This is an amazing, complex, deep look at Ginny. Love it. KUTGW.
I'm so, so happy you posted. This was a great chapter, I stayed up way too late last night reading it, and I have no regrets at all. :)
nienerz chapter 5 . 4/17
I feel like all my ships have happened, yet none at all.
This was beautiful. And exciting, and so realistic. How do you do this?
Well, thank you for this chapter. Have a good one.
Rs223 chapter 5 . 4/17
Wonderful story! Thank you for updating it this morning. You writing is concise and beautiful. My favorite part is the scene between Ron and Ginny during the end of Year two.
LoreleiZabini chapter 5 . 4/17
This is one of my favourite Ginny/Harry pairings. The characterisation is marvellous
Flotsam And Jetsam chapter 5 . 4/17
Really great chapter
baybelletrist chapter 5 . 4/17
This continues to be brilliant. Thank you.