Reviews for The Changeling
BigPB75 chapter 1 . 9/28
Found this yesterday and just finished it today, couldn't stop reading it. This was great work, can't wait for the next chapter. I love Ginny in this. Again, great work!
birdandthebell chapter 5 . 9/28
This is absolutely amazing. Ginny has so much substance to her and your story flows so well!
MidnightRain143 chapter 5 . 9/16
This story is amazing. Seriously, you've given such depth to Ginny's character. Her life in Slytherin is both melancholy and fiercely triumphant. I love watching her deal with separation from her family and all the things that would not have been an issue, had she been in Gryffindor. I also love that Tom is always at the back of her mind- making her question herself but causing her to grow and making her stronger overall. The addition of the Parlor was really nice too. I'm glad Ginny's found acceptance in her house, family, and most importantly with herself.

Your writing is truly incredible- one of the best fics I've come across. Can't wait to see what you do with Year Six!
cztelnik chapter 5 . 9/6
This made me think, the way you wrote emotions and divided the Houses by their philosophy. Gryffindor being partly Kantian and Hufflepuff part Utilitarian but I'm still deciding how much is pathos and what part is analysis. I Feel everything so strongly, Ginny is so familiar... but my instinct tells me not to trust my feelings. "d
TLTL chapter 5 . 8/29
This story is just, wow. Its amazing(I'm pretty sure there's another word that's more suitable but I can't really think of anything). Thank you for writing this, now I just want to read stories with Ginny being a Slytherin though I think yours will still be the best, for me. I look forward to your future updates.
OhMyKai chapter 5 . 8/19
So awesome! This story is clearly not getting enough attention. Hope to see another chapter.
Lineape chapter 5 . 8/19
Excellent, excellent story.

This is a character driven story, where effectively nothing of the canon plot has been changed, and this works because the characters you’ve created are complex and fully fleshed out (including Ginny, who was never really given much of a character in the books). Every single original character, down to the minor ones like Reiko have unique qualities that make them feel alive.

I specially enjoy every scene with Antonia and hope to see more of her in the future.

I look forward to your next update.
Strange how few reviews there are, yet it's very popular outside of . I guess this proves my point that the majority of people in this site are idiots. All you have to is include Snape or Malfoy as one of the main characters are people flock to those stories. Anyways, as for the story itself, I loved your characterisation of Ginny, and the relative lack of cliches. I'm disappointed you don't update faster, but I guess you're trying to create one update for each year. That being said, good work.
Some people nitpick... but focusing on what's bad in a story can get me on an endless diatribe on every single author's faults (from JKR to Wilde), so instead, I'll focus on the one thing that makes this story great. This is the greatest Ginny story, hands down. She's still very much herself, but instead of glossing over her character development like JKR did (the transformation from a timid and excitable girl to a strong, assertive, and very much in control woman), you make it happen organically.

This is the best characterization of the Ginny I have ever read. This is also one of the greatest examples of how to get Slytherin right (far more than JKR ever did). You dropped the fanon BS, and created a rich and intelligent interpretation of the world.

propensity chapter 5 . 8/16
Brilliant story. Eagerly awaiting the next chapter!
Lynn D. Mariza chapter 5 . 8/16
This is most definitely the best characterisation of Ginny I've read, and not just Ginny...the subtle details and everything is all quite amazing :)
Das Legio chapter 2 . 8/15
I almost thought they were about to do something else, but a tattoo is pretty mild compared to Date Rape, which seems to be a Wizarding Past Time.
Karinta chapter 5 . 8/14
Wow. What a story so far. Please, please, I beg you, finish it. It's an amazing work; even though it could be counted among the "canon rehashes" out there, it feels exactly like reading Harry Potter for the first time again, because the perfectly crafted new perspective works so damn well in context.

Slytherin!Ginny is now something I can officially say I like.
joelwilliamson chapter 5 . 8/11
This is beautifully written. Ginny feels very real and her development has gone at just the right pace.
Newcomb chapter 5 . 8/9
Posted this review on DLP:

What's great about this fanfic is that it's got some huge "filters" - like, if you're not into Ginny, Quidditch, or canon rehash, you can just skip it.

If you do, you're missing out, though. It's quite well written, and there's some pretty stellar characterization.

So, negatives -

Ginny's OC friends (Tobias and Smita) are pretty cookie-cutter. They follow familiar paths, and while those paths are well-executed, they aren't exactly breaking any new ground.

The plot is extreme canon rehash. I can't think of a single time Ginny being in Slytherin actually had an impact on the canon plotline. Not that it's a bad thing, necessarily - it's more of a stylistic choice, and I appreciate the attention to detail - but some parts I just found myself skimming because there was no tension, because I knew what was going to happen.

Slytherin OC Antonia is kiiiiiinda over the top awesome. She's literally never not the mysterious older girl with all the answers. I mean, I totally ship Ginny/Antonia after the kiss, but she's still a less fleshed-out version of Ophilia Karait.

Harry gets thrown under the bus a bit. You always understand where Ginny's coming from, but after a while it starts to feel like a little much.

Action scenes (Quidditch / fighting) are pretty bleh. You get the feeling the author just kinda wants them to be over with. They're never straight-out bad, but some of them are quite rushed.

And the positives:

A few characters that appear only a few times are done really, really well. A characterization of Fleur. Snape came off well, too (by that I mean the canon voice felt real.) Luna was like a B. Fred and George, very solid.

The writing's extremely clean. I don't think I saw a single typo, which is remarkable. Beyond just being free of errors, though, it's smooth and flows well and has all the pace/structure elements of a good story. Like, Quidditch isn't just tacked on. It's a big part of Ginny's character, it informs a huge arc, it matters.

Ginny feels believably "Ginny" as well as believably Slytherin. Which, when you think about it, is a pretty high bar to clear. She feels like her canon self - the good, and the bad. All that fanon!Ginny nonsense - not even a whiff of it, which is great.

So yeah, overall, if you get the urge for something very JKR-like, very close to the original series, but focusing on different characters, give it a shot.

Echoing Pers, it's only gotten stronger, and Year 7 could be quite special indeed.