Reviews for Can't Be
illuminiios chapter 1 . 8/9/2012
I may not like Merrill's antics and decisions sometimes, but I still like the depth of this story. Well done.
Psyche Sinclair chapter 1 . 3/10/2012
I like your take on Merrill, and how she can be so childlike without being innocent or stupid. And when Marethari let herself be possessed, I was like- WHAT.
Rexnos chapter 1 . 12/3/2011
I really loved Dragon Age II, but I really dislike Merrill and Anders.

Merrill is insanely headstrong. It can actually be a little hard to notice at first since she's so sweet and detached from reality, but pay attention to her when she's being serious. People tell her blood magic is dangerous (and it IS no two ways about it) and she dismisses them out of hand. This includes the one who taught her magic, a grey warden with years of experience and sometimes another mage who she respects greatly (Hawke).

I just can't stand how ARROGANT that is. Does she honestly think her meager experience is enough to discredit YEARS of magical theory banning blood magic? I can understand mages who turn because they don't know any better or they're desperate, but a mage who had been raised by an experienced master? Shouldn't there have been a little flag that went up when she realized she couldn't fix the eluvian without it?

All in all, it really was her decision to make and Marethari DID act irresponsibly. Still, it's always maddening to play back through the game and watch Merrill ignore the advice of others more experienced in magic than herself.

Of course, Anders is worse. The only way I can accept him as a character is to blame his momentary LOSS OF SANITY on Justice's continued influence. I can understand wanting to start a rebellion, but killing an innocent party to start it all? Does he known nothing about the court of public opinion? The mages would instantly lose the battle for the people, and without them it's just mages versus templars, a breed of warriors who were SPECIFICALLY TRAINED to kill them.

And on top of that, after committing this heinous murder, he gives up. HE GIVES UP. He's willing to live or die, whatever Hawke chooses. Where did his strength of purpose go? Where did his desire to free the mages whatever the cost go? Has Justice's presence made him bi-polar or something?

It frustrates me really. I love magic in all the worlds my mind has ever traveled to. However, Dragon Age's world seems to be the only one in which magic is inherently EVIL. I mean it. The mages are seen as the victims since they're virtually enslaved, but look at what they DO. Every time Hawke gives a group of mages a bit of leeway, they turn to blood magic, demons, or some variation of the two which results in more dead. As much as I love magic and freedom, it really seems the circle is a good thing.

That, or I've taken too much of a liking to Fenris. He can be a bit overly emo, but can you blame him when he was subjected to every downside that magic has?

Anyway, now that my rant is over, nice story. I like how you tied it into the Dragon Age: Origins storyline. I'm not sure if that's where Merrill got the Eluvian, but I could see it happening.

In the end, while I may not like Merrill, I can understand her grief at Marethari's death. While the keeper may have disagreed with her, it always should have been her risk to take. You can try to shelter a child from all the evils of the world, but what will that teach? Nothing. In order to learn, you have to be allowed your own mistakes, even if that means letting a pride demon take over your body and go on a merry little rampage.

See why the templars seem right?

Later,

Rex
the stone tiger chapter 1 . 8/7/2011
it's gotta be said, that was a great one-shot

your view on Merril her perspective on all this is very good to say the least.

I also really like your writing style in this story; dark, but not overly so.

great job, and keep writing
mutive chapter 1 . 4/25/2011
I rather like this background on Merrill. It's fun to see where she came from and what she's done. I love, too, the observation that Hawke may be more dangerous than a demon. (She probably is.)
iamnuff chapter 1 . 4/25/2011
i read this in merrill's voice,
The Flying Frog chapter 1 . 4/24/2011
You have just personified my thoughts on the whole Merrill situation. Well done!

I always thought that Merethari wasn't a good keeper for the reasons mentioned by Merrill in this fic. She doesn't respect what Merrill is trying to do, (although it is dangerous, Merrill did take precautions so only she would be at risk and no one else)the Eluvian CAN offer a great deal of knowledge to the elves. I mean, Morrigan and maybe the Warden go through one! (I wonder what Merrill would do if she had that Eluvian in front of her. Uncorrupted, and functional)Would Merethari forbid research into that one?

I don't know, she seemed keen to study it in the Dalish Origin but changes her mind after talking with Duncan.
malko050987 chapter 1 . 4/24/2011
This might actually make me let her keep the fancy repairy fixy thingie in Act 2 in my next playthrough... I always wished there was more to say to the idiot Keeper than what we get in-game (though the purple option is brlliant :D)

A lovely story, as always. Thank you.