Reviews for For My Brother
littlebirds chapter 1 . 7/27/2014
Oooh. Molly at the end. So good.

I think- I hope- it's enough for Charlie that Bill would follow through on his word. It's a horrible thing to ask of someone who loves you.

Present tense was the perfect tool, here, and you wielded it masterfully. The end seemed inevitable, until it wasn't.

Really nice work. Thanks for sharing.
Snarky64 chapter 1 . 7/19/2014
This has a quiet and tragic inevitabilty about it. When I realised where it was going, I wondered whether it would be Molly. Of course, it would. How could anyone doubt it? Brave subject matter, intense but sensitive execution.
Guest chapter 1 . 5/6/2013
Beautifully done.
Molly was the right choice...she is protecting both of her children plus her grandchildren...very appropriate.
We forget that suicide is not really a "sin" in non-Christian based moral systems.
Japan, Rome both saw it as a legitimate choice.
Lymania chapter 1 . 9/27/2012
that was intens. to be honest, it took me a moment to think about it, before i could write this review. first of all, my deepest respect, for choosing this subject. i know, this is beeing handled very differently in every country, so i think its great to touch it, with such a different range of readers. second, i think your choice of pairing is ust perfect. i love charlie, and i think, seeing that charlie, who is the one whe needs his freedom and independence, whe can't be caged in his body, really brings out the urgendcy and importance of this desicion. i ecpecially liked the part, in which you wrote that everyone came and talked to him (i think it was harry) and told him things that needed to be kept a secret. Charlie had to listen to all of this, without a chance of disclaiming. he had to listen to all of it, but noone to talk to in return. You showed very well, that not only bill was suffering (you created a great bill, the conversation with georg deserved an oscar!) but charlie as well. and not only as well, but even more. because he is the one living with dragons, searing the danger, needing the thrill of live like air to breath. and not the one lying in a hospitalbed, beeing held prision in his one body, beeing pettied by everyone.
and than molly. amazing. i think, she really would make that disicion. and she would do it by herself. not only to spare bill, but because she feels like it has to be her. she is loving mother and such a strong woman. and she knows her son and knows, that thats how it has to be. and i agree with her in every way. and i think, she can be proud of her, that bill came to the (in my opinion, of course!) right disicion as well and was willing to do it, and take the consequences.
a brilliant story, which i hope brought a lot ouf readers to think about live and death and right and wrong. the world isn't black and white.
I hope you could understand what i was trying to say, since english is only my third language.
and if you didn't, i was just trying to say, that i loved your story and im really glad i read it!
FamousNoOne chapter 1 . 9/16/2012
:'(
JustPuttingThatOutThere chapter 1 . 4/2/2012
So incredibly touching. I kind of stared at the ending before hurrying to press the review button. I think she did kill him... Her last line for me made that click!

Well done wonderful story!
ReillyJade chapter 1 . 2/15/2012
Oh my...this was tragically beautiful, and I positively loved it.

First, I must give you due credit for being brave enough to tackle such a sensitive topic. I mean, there are certain sensitive topics that are written about in fan fiction all the time (murder, self-harm, sex abuse, etc.) but it's rare to find a story about assisted suicide and how it affects the living party. I can't imagine going through what all of the Weasleys, especially Bill, had to go through in this story, and I pray I'll never have to. I'm a strong person, but...I just couldn't do it. I couldn't.

Bill is not only my favorite Weasley, but my favorite character, so I'm hard to please when it comes to stories about him. I love that you didn't go the stereotypical route with him; far too often, Bill is painted as overly-feminine and somewhat arrogant, and I honestly believe he isn't like that at all. I think he's exactly how you characterized him in this piece. He's smart but doesn't allow intelligence to rule his life. He believes in following the rules but understands that there are some instances when you have to break them to do what's right. He often puts on his brave face, but he's just as vulnerable as everyone else. To me, this is the true Bill – not the equivalent of a wizard hippie as I so often see.

One thing I really admired about this story was Bill's conversation with George. All throughout the books, we were showed time after time how close Fred and George were and how deep their connection was. I've always imagined the relationship between Bill and Charlie to be quite similar to theirs – albeit less comical, perhaps, but they're also older ones. I like how you made a subtle comparison between these two brotherly relationships by having Bill tell George that he'd do the same for Fred in the same situation. In a way, it seemed as if Bill was trying to convey the message that he can have an extremely deep bond with a brother, too, even if said brother isn't a twin. Furthermore, us readers already know the pain George felt at the time of Fred's death, so this comparison made it easier to connect with Bill, I think. It measured it to an extreme pain we've already seen, so it deepens our understanding for just how hard this is for Bill.

I am, however, interested in why you've selected a Siren as Bill's boggart (unless it's mentioned in canon somewhere and I completely missed it?) I think boggarts tell a lot about a person's character, so I'm curious as to why you think a Siren is appropriate for Bill. I'm not just saying this, by the way – I actually do want to know! :) I've always been fascinated with Bill and I love hearing others' takes on his character.

This is a fantastic piece and is going into my favorites for sure. Thank you so much for sharing it with us in the Showcase! :)
Someone aka Me chapter 1 . 1/31/2012
Dang.

Well, first off, I applaud your audacity. Too often we avoid topics like this just because they are, in fact, topics like this, but you didn't do that, and I'm glad you didn't. You didn't skirt around the edges, you cut straight to the heart of it, and that's what really makes this very powerful.

Aside from the topic, though, this is really well written and fantastically done. The conversation with George was great, and the fact that Charlie and Bill's initial discussion came about for a reason – the dementor – and not just out of the blue made it more realistic.

The ending, too, is great! Though, I'll admit, I was mildly confused by it. Was Charlie dead at the very end, then? Because that's how I initially read it, but I wasn't quite sure.

Other than that, though, this is really great.

(*_*)
KeepCalmAndWriteSomething chapter 1 . 1/30/2012
Hello.

That was utterly beautiful. It almost brought tears to my eyes. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to make a decision like that. And the ending definitely surprised me, as I expected Molly to be completely opposed to the idea.

Fantastic job. Keep writing!
lowi chapter 1 . 1/22/2012
Oh my gosh. This was absolutely stunning—I'm so close to crying now.

This is extremely wellwritten, so dark and sad and beautiful. You write the entire family-feeling so well, the bonds are so vividly displayed through the little things that are said and done.

But, wow. The plotline in this is simply stunning. It's so frightening, and it's so believable. This is a rather dark, in many cases taboo'ed theme (with death help -I don't know the English term, sorry- being debated in today's society) and you wrote it fantastically.

The end was nothing but wonderful.

I loved this story, amazing work!
lella7 chapter 1 . 1/16/2012
This is very well written and you've dealt with a sensitive issue very well in my opinion. I thought it was particularly heartbreaking when Bill tells George he'd have done the same for Fred. I loved the ending - you got it just right. Also, that's an interesting choice of Boggart for Bill. It seems a little strange for someone married to a part Veela to be so afraid of Sirens, but I suppose there's quite a lot you can read into that.
R.G.B.The.Duckie chapter 1 . 1/13/2012
This was certainly a very deep piece, and I do think you have done quite a good job with it. The issue of Euthanasia is generally a very emotional one, and although people may say it is inhumane, when in Bill’s situation you can see it from a whole new light. I do think you have been able to capture the emotion very well in this story.

As far as spelling and grammar goes, I think you did quite well. You had a couple of little mistakes and I thought a times sentences or paragraphs didn’t flow quite right, and you could look over this. However, this is me being a bit picky. I think that you had such a great idea, and executed it so well, that I didn’t really notice these things until reading it over again. Really, there was no mistake that really popped out and annoyed me while I was reading it.

You did a good job with characterisations of your characters. I also liked how you showed all the different relationships between the characters, especially the one between Charlie and Bill.

I really liked the little conversation’s Bill had with both Hermione and George about what he was going to do. I also liked when Bill points out to George that he would have done exactly the same thing had it been Fred.

Overall I think you have done a very good job with this. I think you captured the emotion beautifully, especially Bill’s internal battle over what to do. This was a very good, although quite sad, story. Well done and good luck for your future stories :)
HeadlessHuntsman chapter 1 . 1/8/2012
I liked the story. I really liked the way you handled the sensitive material. I am not sure if Bill was entirely in character but I think that is just due to different preferences among authors. Overall it was good. Thanks for sharing.
Selenehekate chapter 1 . 1/7/2012
Ooh, does Molly kill Charlie? I can see her doing that to protect Bill... but I find it a little hard to believe that Bill left without arguing. Though I do really respect the way that you ended this fic. Sometimes a cliffhanger can be better than an actual ending! I liked the scene with Hermione - it was a short exploration of the consequences of killing his brother. Great fic! I really enjoyed this work, and I can see why it's one of your favorites!
MissingMommy chapter 1 . 1/6/2012
You just can't leave it there! That's cruel and unusual punishment. Did Molly kill Charlie?

I felt so bad for Bill to have to make a decision like that. It was unfair of Charlie to ask him to do that.

But it was well written and I throughly enjoyed it.
46 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »