Reviews for They Have Been There From the Start
greieve chapter 1 . 2/15/2013
So very rarely do I see stories from this point of view. I'm not sure how much I like it in comparison to third-person, but you do an excellent job of portraying it. Great story, though I feel so very bad for River :(
KiraSparrow chapter 1 . 5/4/2011
The relationship between the Doctor and the Master always struck me as being both tragic and compelling. And now that we've gotten to see more, the relationship between River and the Doctor is tragic too, but even more so it's poetic. The way you've combined these elements in this story is just breath-taking.
Indigo1100 chapter 1 . 4/27/2011
I love this story. Wow, and so so much. So fascinating, and extremely enjoyable. The beginning- no, I don't think there are pretty much *any* relationships more complicated and difficult than this one. But the way you write and capture it is, as always, amazing.

I like the metaphor with cuts and cultivating and pruning- yes, that fits.

I like the perspective, the second-person - I think it works very well (though, just a note, there are a few third person pronouns in the first paragraph- I'm not sure if that was intentional or not, but just in case).

I like the mention of Rory and Amy- both their necessity (I very recently read an incredibly disturbing story describing exactly the scenario of 'feeding on each other into madness' (the phrase fits *very* well), and now have a rather new appreciation for that. Also, reading that story was even more fascinating with your universe in mind, so than you for that too) and the fact that they could never do what River does (which is definitely the case, btw. Eeek.)

Yay for catch-words - spoilers indeed. Powerful words on trust and an interesting glimpse at the Doctor's sexuality- I can see that too, him babbling, her calming him like that.

The scene part is described so well, enough physical to capture, and such a thorough focus on the mental- the dynamic, and the way River feels about it, that it, as noted, breaks her, but she knows it for necessary, which, I think, is presented in a way that I can understand it very much. The way the description of his actions and the voice captured with punctuation and such again shows the emotional set (like mindset, only emotions). "When timidly asked". That phrase catches at my mind.

River as "Good Cop". I like that analogy, that way of looking at it, and I can see it in the dynamic, and her in it.

And the end- not happy, but needed, and so enough. That, I think, fits what we've seen of River very much.

And just, I love the overall idea of it- like you said, the idea of where River fits in. I think she fits here very well, it works so well, I can see it and it's lovely.

And, as a sidenote, because I think I forgot to say this last story- I like the name you gave this series. (And am very encouraged, because from my reader perspective a name more likelihood for more stories. Which is awesome, because this is definitely one of my favorite AU's, if not just my favorite.)

Thanks!

Oh, and could you by any chance enlighten me, because I think I missed a reference- what crime are you referring to?

Thank you again.