Reviews for No Going Back
Dear Eru. This is maybe the most precious and well written and believable story about his failed repentment. I loved flashbacks, way you described his thoughts, his conversation with Eonwe... Everything! I would write more for this fanfiction deserves it, but I feel somehow speechless. So, shortly, thanks fo reading it. I is perfect and Mairon-like.
Nimue - Lady of the Lake chapter 1 . 1/13
A really amazing piece of work! You interpreted all Sauron's feelings and thoughts in such a realistic and true to the story way. In fact Sauron is a very interesting character and I think your story brilliantly shows different sides of this character
Osireia chapter 1 . 4/15/2014
Very powerful. Poor Sauron...poor Eonwe :(
fantasydancer chapter 1 . 2/1/2014
This story was so beautifully crafted. I loved your portrayal of characters, especially Sauron and his thoughts. This story literally took my breath away, and the ending near brought me to tears.
Dimrilla chapter 1 . 10/25/2013
Although I have some objections as to Sauron seemingly being bound to his body (and we know, that he - contrary to Morgoth - wasn't), I'm generally very impressed. The detailed musings of Saurons, his memories from the time in Aman, and later when he was Morgoth's servant. You pictured it excellent. But the best part was his meeting with Eonwe. It was immesurably sad, with Sauron indeed being marred beyond the point of going back. I liked your portrayal of Eonwe: fierce warrior, able to see through Saurons'a deception, but still ready to see hope for him. In this respect he is in fact very similar to his Vala, Manwe. He is just, uses righteous anger when needefd, but first and foremost is merciful.
In short: great story!
SentinelSpockNimoy chapter 1 . 10/13/2011
Wow, so detailed and dramatic! This story did a wonderful job of displaying Sauron's emotional dilemmas and his feeling about his life in general.

This also brought to mind something I think someone should write, if the haven't already. Someone should write an alternate ending for this event where, instead of running, Sauron listens to Eonwe and goes back to the Valar. I think it would be interesting to see how that would've turned out.
anonymous chapter 1 . 8/19/2011
This is a very good exploration of Sauron's feelings about his past, his choices and his relationship with the Valar and Maia.

thoughtful and very detailed
Mirach chapter 1 . 6/27/2011
A wonderful story! It was a fascinating reading, and understanding Sauron. The memories of the times when he was Aulendil were very poignant, as all his reminiscences in the mad flight, and then return. But the deepest impression of all left the conversation with Eonwe, how the herold of Manwe saw through Sauron's act, and yet he had hope for him, hope that Sauron himself didn't have, for he realized the truth of his heart. You captured both characters perfectly, and I'm very glad to see a story featuring my both favourite Maiar!
CrackinAndProudOfIt chapter 1 . 5/3/2011
Wow this is amazing! I love the language, I love the imagery, I love the portrayal! You actually had me feeling really really sorry for Sauron and yes-even pitying him! It was pretty long and took me three days to read but it's so worth it! Awesome! *favourites*
Almedias chapter 1 . 4/30/2011
Very good job, I feel sorry for him! And for Eonwë too, who couldn't save him. I think the problem of Sauron is that he doesn't understand, himself, the Valar. I believe in this story Aulë etc never stopped loving him and weeping for him. But he's right, it would have been difficult to go back to his first life.

Now, I wonder what he felt at the end of the Third Age, when he was destroyed... Was he the same, or had he become as cold as Morgoth? Big question...
Aria Breuer chapter 1 . 4/30/2011
Even after critiquing your one-shot story the first time, I still caught a few grammatical mistakes. The second "Luthien" needs to have this at the top of the letter 'u'. Also, I am still confused about the word "Maian", and whether it's supposed to be spelt "Maiar" or "Maia". I caught a few of these halfway through and towards the end of the story.

As for imagery, the details you put in are superb, as I said when I critiqued this one-shot. Usually in first person, it is hard to stay out of using the word "I" a lot. It's tricky, but you did it in a decent way in this story.

Also, when it comes to long one-shots, such as this one, and good, detailed stories, I tend to take longer reading the story because of the detailed descriptions. It is a lot to take in, in such a short amount of reading material.

Good work.

-Aria Breuer
Lord Lestrange chapter 1 . 4/30/2011
Nice one-shot! I like how you describe Sauron's dilemna after the fall of his master. I don't think I ever read something like this :) Anyway, good job :)