Reviews for At The End of The World
Beautiful. An absolute masterpiece. I'll never watch this episode the same way again. Bravo bravo bravo!
K I was gonna wait and review at the end of the story but this chapter was just so beautiful and sweet and heartfelt. It reduced me to a puddle of tears. Flawlessly done. Bravo.
Persadiala chapter 10 . 7/15/2015
Hello, me again. It's been three years since I first reviewed this story, but... I just wanted to tell you that I come back and read this every year, because it is still my favourite, and it still makes me laugh and cry. I maintain that you should write a book. But... Thank you. Thank you for writing this, really.

(You won't recognise my pen name; I've changed it three times since I wrote those reviews... I was MAryAnnGilligan then)
Anon189 chapter 11 . 6/10/2014
This has got to be one of my favourite fics. Thank you!
Mary Rose chapter 11 . 3/28/2014
Very good story. You wove it into the episode seamlessly IMO.
Persadiala chapter 11 . 7/22/2012
I know I already reviewed this wonderful story, but I just realized something: out of every Gilligan's Island story I've ever read, this one is my favorite. I love how it was woven into the actual episode, and how 'in character' the characters are, and the flying... I feel almost as if I was on that vine, the way you described it! How vividly you described everything! Makes me believe, just for a moment, that I am there. And I wish I was, too.
Persadiala chapter 1 . 7/15/2012
You should write a book. Anyone who can make me that emotional over a little fanfiction, must be an amazing writer. And you are. :) This story made me laugh many times, and made me cry just as much. I loved it!
xaenon chapter 1 . 12/1/2011
I know this isn't really a critique. It's just praise. Lots and lots of praise.

You are an extremely talented writer. I am in awe that you can take characters and plot from an ages-old (and frequently maligned) situation comedy and create such a vivid, in-depth, and HUMAN story. You obviously spent a lot of time on this and did the necessary research (that, or you're just as big a fan of the show as I am!). It's doubly impressive that you can do so much with characters that were so cartoonish, like the Skipper, the Howells, and of course Gilligan.

Like many other guys my age, I always did have a crush on Mary Ann. And your story made me love her just that much more.

Thank you for writing and posting this. I wish there were adequate words to describe how much I enjoyed it. I look forward to reading your other works.
Maudlin Mush chapter 11 . 6/2/2011
Kindof like flying. Boy, I love Gilligan! Wonderful story! I love all that you've added to the original.
peterpan chapter 11 . 5/28/2011
hey, you finished this story after all! this is incredibly beautiful, and the perfect ending. it sounds weird to actually acknowledge it, but i got a huge sense of catharsis from this story. i didn't used to support this pairing, but your stories have converted me entirely! i hope you write many many more! thank you!
Lilly chapter 11 . 5/26/2011
This is by far my favorite story from you! Great job! So glad Mary Ann didn't have to suffer from a broken heart too long.
callensensei chapter 11 . 5/26/2011
Great title! And thanks for the shout out: I think that failure to pan left is one of the epic directorial failures of all time!

But this is just the wide angle I could envision, let alone a lingering on the scene. I could well believe Mary Ann would have to be physically held back from chasing after the missile, and that the Skipper would be too grief-stricken to even lead the castaways back to camp. (I really liked Mr. Howell taking charge here. He really could step up when the occasion called for it.) Mary Ann’s finding Gilligan’s marble was tender and heartbreaking.

And then that cathartic reunion! I’d say the Professor’s rugby tackle was one of the other five cutest moments in the series, let alone Gilligan’s tip of his soggy hat. (I love Mrs. Howell sounding surprised that he’s wet! She did sound surprised!) And once again you widen the angle to let us see Mary Ann’s reaction. Since it was their story, not to mention that she’s the smallest and would have had to fight her way through that throng, it’s fitting to have her be the last to hug Gilligan, and I love that he’s practically wearing her! Her joy is as overwhelming as the grief you’ve built all through this gripping story.

And we end with that beautiful motif of flying. You’ve definitely taken us flying with this story. Congratulations on your first epic. It’s...it’s epic!
callensensei chapter 10 . 5/26/2011
The humourous opening to this chapter lulls us into a sense of false security, only to slowly and subtly chill us with its truly haunting imagery of ghosts. We are pulled from the normal cheerfulness of Gilligan’s Isle to the terror of this moment.

Your description of this scene faithfully notes the details we remember and augments each, so that the scene is at once familiar and new. The Skipper letting Ginger cling to his arm (as she was), the Professor looking at the sky (as he was) the Howells offering one another mutual support (as they were), and that poignant, silent exchange between Mary Ann and Gilligan are all underscored by a brilliant imagining of what each castaway was feeling. I loved every one of these, but I think the Howells especially, who are thinking of the next generation and how they will carry on.

My other favourite was the lyrical imagery describing Mary Ann’s feeling. The weight of Gilligan’s hands feeling like twenty pounds: what power! And her thoughts of all the miraculous things they had done, especially the recurring motif of flying – that’s what I would want to be thinking about in that situation!

It’s amazing to think that you trained as a comedy writer. To misquote the Professor, when you write something serious, it’s beautiful.
Teobi chapter 11 . 5/26/2011
Awwwww- the two saddest words in the history of anything. The End. But what a finish! It was good to include this final chapter, epilogue if you will. It's kind of closure for everyone. *We* know they didn't die, but now *they* know they didn't die. We can leave them, happy and elated that the bomb didn't go off and that Gilligan returned safely from his ordeal and was swamped with love and affection.

I loved how Mary Ann almost went after him and had to be held back by the Professor. The poor girl- they all survive a near-nuclear holocaust only for Gilligan to be swept out to sea. And then she finds the marble he had in his pocket to give to Skinny, and Mrs. Howell starts looking for rainbows. Too precious for words.

Then there's the guilt at the table. Mary Ann points out she's smaller than Gilligan and she should have gone inside the bomb. (She wouldn't have been a strong enough swimmer to make it back, though, so it's probably a good job she didn't go. In any case, the men wouldn't have allowed it.)

Then it segues into the episode until Gilligan returns, with his "Gee, it all sounds so wonderful, I think I'll go back and drown myself!"

The castaways are all thrilled to see him again but Mary Ann's delight at seeing her boy is wonderful, I could totally feel her joy at seeing him home safe and sound.

And the whole theme of the story is summed up by his final line that swimming back from the unexploded missile was "kinda like flying."

This was such a beautiful story, and I'm sorry to see it come to an end. Time seems to have gone so fast- I remember when it was just a series of ideas zinging back and forth via email. And now look at it- fully formed and complete.

I loved it. The kiss in the butterfly cavern will stay with me forever- not to mention poor flustered Gilligan glimpsing Mary Ann putting her shorts on through the tent. _

Now we just need a Skinny Mulligan epic, haha.

T x
Rockport268 chapter 11 . 5/26/2011
Awww! So sweet! Best ending EVER! LOVED IT SO MUCH!

And I also, of course, LOVED this entire story! It was so sweet! It was amazing and I'm sad it's over...but all good things have to come to an end, don't they? Anyways, I can't wait until I get the chance to read whatever you're going to post next!
59 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »