Reviews for Pirates of Ivalice
Guest chapter 21 . 4/26/2014
That was an awesome story!
Raicheru chapter 21 . 3/13/2013
This was quite possibly the best story I have ever read. And I mean that in the most since way possible. You've said this was a labor of love and I truly believe that because it shows. Professional quality surely. And to have portrayed the characters so deeply and completely is really amazing. I admit I'm a bit humbled by this and excited at the same time. Very few stories here have captured my imagination quite so completely. And I laughed out loud more than once.

There's nothing quite so lovely as an irritable, mouthy Balthier. He was brilliantly written here. And his relationship with Fran was well balanced and made much more sense than most of the other more romantically themed pair ups I've read. I loved her insight on how he'd changed since the Bahamut and her reaction to his moods.

My favorite scene was when Balthier and Fran smuggled themselves back into Arcadia with the will. Cecliana's reaction to the difference between the foppish courtier and Balthier's true pirating self was great. And the purred "It's Balthier" rolled right off the screen and into my ears with the memory of his first introduction to Vaan down in the waterways during the game.

Best. Story. Ever.
Iris Sweetheart chapter 21 . 12/8/2012
An enjoyable read of pirating adventures. Just the type of FFXII story I was looking for that didn't get too bogged down in romance. Despite sentences occasionally running a little too long for my taste it was still a good read.
Keritiger chapter 14 . 10/22/2012
Hahaha! Thanks! I really like your story. Penelo's distraction was funny and I like the depth of the "recovering from Bahamut" bit.
eratoqwerty chapter 21 . 8/28/2012
Wow! Thanks for the fun read. Wish you make a cross over between Jack Sparrow and Balthier. It would be nice to see them fighting with their wit to trick each other.
eratoqwerty chapter 7 . 8/28/2012
This fanfic is old and i just want to praise it as a work well done.

"You know, friend, have you ever considered you may be colorblind?" this single line has managed me to waste my afternoon tea on my laptop screen as I spurt them in an attempt of holding my laugh.
rosefiligree chapter 21 . 8/10/2012
i'm kind of sad that it's over! But it was incredible, seriously! I'm sorry I haven't reviewed for the last few chapters, i was super busy, but I gotta leave a review on the last one!
I love everything about this story! Your characterization is superb throughout the entire story, the plot is amazing and the ending is fantastic, not unsatisfactory but not completely closed cornered either! You did an incredible job on this, well done.
Ahh excited for this e-book!
keep up the amazing work!
meatballs in the impala chapter 21 . 8/5/2012
I so love how both Vaan and Penelo can outdrink Balthier with ease. "I can't even taste the alcohol in it." So freaking awesome.

So, the duo of sky pirates have made amends with everyone at last. I wasn't in the least surprised that they blackmailed Basch in order to delete their names off the list. And I could totally see Ashe forgiving (albeit temporarily) Balthier when he sent her the ring. They really can go from close friends to antagonising adversaries and back with only the slightest effort, can't they? I particularly liked the ending line. It suits Balthier's pirating nature very much. A pirate must be greedy, before all, and he has proved as much in the little time we've been allowed in his presence.

Anyway, to wrap it all up, the only negative point of this story is that it was so superior that from now on I'm afraid I'll use it as a measurement for the other stories I'll read in the future. You've set my expectations very high, and I fear I won't be satisfied with anything lesser from now on! Maybe I'll even be motivated myself to improve my writing. I'd also like to thank you for replying to these reviews and answering all of my queries. I've never followed a story so passionately as this one, but I'm glad that I did.

Anyways, congratulations on your fantastic work. There were a few grammar mistakes here and there, but the great plot and writing style made me overlook them. I would love to see more of this fandom from you, especially another story revolving around (or including) Balthier, given that you write him so bloody well. So, thumbs up and keep it up. I'm finally signing off.
meatballs in the impala chapter 20 . 8/5/2012
So, Vayne Solidor has stocked on Dalmascan white gold, which I presume he stole from the palace in Rabanastre during his stay there as Consul? Impossible. At last, Balthier and Fran regain their status as the most notorious duo of sky pirates to ever fly the skies of Ivalice! It's only fair that they do, considering all that they've been through in the past few... well, however long this fic lasted. "Pride of Balfonheim", heh. If you've got the money, then you sure as hell get respect, too. Our world sure works in mysterious ways. Or, opportunistic might be a better way to put it.

Though, as glad as I am that we're nearing the end of this impossible adventure, I must say that the story kind of... deflated towards the end. I don't know, I was waiting for a much stronger finale. I mean, Vayne's treasure being only Dalmascan gold and papers (albeit of great significance)? I was sort of waiting for something bigger, though I haven't exactly pinpointed what. Oh, well. I believe the phrase is "be satisfied with what you've got".
meatballs in the impala chapter 19 . 8/5/2012
Well, as you so nicely put it, life does enjoy beating the crap out of Balthier. His hysteria when the chest didn't open and when Basch walked in was hilarious. Uh, not to go against our favorite pirate, but he might wanna slow down there. Calling the fates "harpies" ain't gonna do much for his already long record of impossibly bad luck. I hope they'll find this treasure soon enough (which quite possibly will be in the aforementioned chest), 'cause I'm starting to get curious about its contents. On the other hand, I also like to think that there won't be a treasure waiting at the end of this tunnel. Hm, two more chapters to go, so I won't be at a loss for much longer!

Yay, Basch is back! Didn't that just make my day? When I wished for a comeback of our Judge, I never thought he actually would make one. So damn glad he did!
meatballs in the impala chapter 18 . 8/4/2012
I so totally knew it had to be The Vase! Though as I was reading this, I thought Balthier would almost certainly keep the vase instead of smashing it against Larsa's head. He wouldn't be able to sell the pieces, no? Then again, knowing Balthier, I wouldn't be surprised. Also, freaked out/inexperienced soldier FTW. "There seems to be a breach in the security...maybe." Haha, priceless!
meatballs in the impala chapter 17 . 8/4/2012
Planning on having words with Lady Destiny? Well, I, for one, wouldn't be surprised if he managed to win her over with his charm as well. So, I'm trusting this was the end of Cecliana? I can remorselessly say that I'm glad? To be honest, this chapter kind of tired me. I hope the plot will pick up again. I'd hate for this incredible story to lose its touch when it's nearing its end.
meatballs in the impala chapter 15 . 8/4/2012
You know, the one thing that bothers me in this fic is Vaan's attitude and how it seems that he's an antagonist of Balthier. As we've seen in the game, Vaan was pretty much Balthier's apprentice (even though he'd never admit to taking up an acolyte) and Balthier was someone he swooned over, for the sole reason that he was a sky pirate. I was kind of troubled by his sudden change in attitude. He used to look up to Balthier, right? I mean, I get that he's somehow doing favours for Ashe, whose relationship with Balthier we've previously established, but I'd think that, among the people in the FFXII party, Balthier was the one Vaan would never go up against. Hm, perhaps I've overlooked something? Surely, Vaan's silliness could be a factor of his "betrayal". Duh, I'm outta thoughts here.

The birds return. Oh, my. Ashe'll be thrilled. Until, you know, she finds that they've been sold to another pirate, that is. I'm hoping to see more Basch, for some reason.
meatballs in the impala chapter 14 . 8/2/2012
Ah, Balthier's love for his ship has me melting in my boots. There's a devoted man, at last! Hehe.
meatballs in the impala chapter 13 . 8/2/2012
You met Gideon Emery and didn't pass out? That's gotta count for something. Was he disgustingly as awesome as his voice when impersonating Balthier? I sure hope so!

Vaan tied up. This day ain't getting any better.