Reviews for Continuing the Cycle
WhiteElfElder chapter 10 . 1/5
Did Voldemort fold all of his remaining horcruxi into Harry?
ShadowPillow chapter 19 . 12/30/2021
Realized this was last updated in 2016, but I'll still drop in my thoughts.

Harry's slow slide between insanity and a loose semblance is very tangible throughout the fic, as he progresses through different stages in this world and the writing rightly hovers between different levels of detail. You can feel the impact of the immense trauma, the many forms of it, and how he's dealing with it, or not dealing with it. I think it is pretty common irl to not fully understand a trauma or parts of it, and to kind of be haunted by uncertainty or not understanding it... And I also think that stories do their part by exaggerating irl effects to make them more clear and understandable; thusly, though this story is obviously very extreme and angsty I like how it is a constant attempt at trying to understand things, half-forgotten nonsenses and nonsensical actions because the main character doesn't have a clue either. Whenever Harry assesses his own mental state – as being "completely insane" or later "damaged but not completely unhinged" – I find myself loosely agreeing with it, other than the time when he desperately clung to the idea that he was "fixed" after his soul merge was more completed by the magic working in the background. In reality, he just got a break from his human problems by hanging out with the snake bros – as soon as he actually went back to human town he just went a bit crazy again in a different way, all his triggers being pulled in rapid succession – in reality, the merge stuff is still /very unresolved/. (Like, he wants to be okay with it quickly, but still Harry, so he strongly asserts in his mind "hey I'm this cool not insane dude anymore since my magic stuff worked it all out now, I'm okay, and I'm gonna still be Harry but it's okay if I'm a little crazy like Voldemort too, I'm just going to make the most of it and be a unified person" – unfortunately, trying to force such a quick acceptance doesn't /really/ make things work out.) But slowly but surely he is getting more rational and thinking things through, explicitly and accurately acknowledging his situation in his more lucid moments, and these missteps are pretty normal when recovering from deep shit. Though of course Harry's trauma here is multidinous and exaggerated compared to most traumas in real life, the journey is similar even if most of us don't go batshit insane or have the power to accidentally kill people with our eyes or tamper with the minds of others, etc., etc.

So I find it pretty interesting and fascinating to see how Harry is progressing – not at all in a straight line, but in a whirling, crazy path full of missteps yet desperately trying not to cross the line – and this strikes me as a pretty realistic response to trauma, dissociation, depression, prolongued listlessness/lifelessness/fatigue, and on and on. It's a well written story. The level of detail in each scene well reflects Harry's POV and draws on a lot of subtext to explain it.

The Naruto world was also very well done and integrated smoothly into Harry's wider story without being forced. I really liked that. Characters didn't just play roles or be happy-go-buddy characters suddenly, reactions were realistic, and Harry's interactions with them were always kind of... on his own terms? Like even though this is a Naruto x HP crossover, it doesn't abide by any conventions of a Naruto x HP crossover or crossovers in general, the story is governed by it's own central strong story, it has a purpose, and I really like that. Maybe one day Harry will reflect on what it really means to be in another world, but obviously he's not in a state right now to do that. He's already been so dissociated from anything real and good in his world that the loss of his world isn't really a loss at all, and more just like another thing that happened.

And finally, I do really hope to see Harry regain his head and his path to doing so. Seeing his story here is actually somewhat bright to me because he /is/ on the path to progress even if he doesn't really understand it, because he is slowly trying to understand it and put the pieces together. And whether he realizes it or not he is also always constantly challenging his current circumstances – such as his desire to reenter the human world, knowing that if he does not do it now he never will, and he was right. It was good to heal for a bit with the snake bros and figure things out, but I think the Harry that is human needs people. And that's why he keeps coming back.

So even though this was last written in 2016, I still hope to see another update someday. :) Good luck with the medical studies also, and I hope you don't get burnt out. Keep on going strong.
XXDarkPreistessXX chapter 15 . 12/20/2021
So I want to get someone's opinion on this, in chapter 13 is Ibiki Orochimaru or an Orochimaru agent in disguise?
I focus on 2 passages: "As he drew closer to the aged Hokage –and the scarred brute of a man standing at his side– Harry tasted something strange in the air, a scent barely discernable from the many others emanating from the gathered humans. Dirt, sweat, blood; skin, leather, cloth; fear, bloodlust, anticipation… faint, old snake skin… Under all that –getting faintly more detectable the closer he came to the two men– was something slightly bitter that clung to his tongue like the juice of an herb he could almost remember…" & "My Lord," Pretty whispered, bright red tongue tasting the air, flickering furiously. "The dark hunter, I cannot smell them. The false skin they wear, yes, but not the human."" This makes me think that only Ibiki's cloth have Ibiki's scent. and a imposter is hiding their own scent (hance not being able to smell the hunter) and using Ibiki's cloths as part of the disguise. and smelling of snakes and chemicals/medicine is also a sign of Orochimaru. but the scent of snakes could be "emanating from the gathered humans" so he is just detecting Orochimaru's presence in the room. And if that was the case it would suggest the real Ibiki is dead much like the fate of the grass nin whose face got stolen during the chunin exams. And that if Hari had agreed to obey the Hokage and go with Ibiki to wait for Inoichi Hari would have been kidnapped by the Ibiki Imposter.
Guest chapter 19 . 11/15/2021
This is just disappointing by now.
Eragon135790 chapter 19 . 9/1/2021
really like the ff, would have liked it continued but that probably wont happen sadly.
silentsum chapter 18 . 8/2/2021
No Birdy! There is so many amazing things about this fic. The disassociation episodes, the mental split and merge and t he why they are handling Harry's mental state. I love it so much.
silentsum chapter 14 . 8/2/2021
I had forgotten so much. I really do love this fic. I'm so glad pretty is back!
silentsum chapter 12 . 8/1/2021
I love this, even the third time I find things I hadn't noticed before.
silentsum chapter 9 . 8/1/2021
I'm rereading this lovely fic, and I still find myself wondering about the little hints. Was Voldemort absorbed with the magic? Is he living on within Harry, sort of? So curious.
Terracotta Tortilla chapter 19 . 4/27/2021
GODKINGASH apparently has the reading comprehension of a 3rd grader considering he called it slash when Harry is too broken to love anyone.
Ancient Octopus chapter 1 . 2/14/2021
This is one of those fics I like to come back to every couple years to enjoy again when the nights are long.
GODKINGASH chapter 3 . 1/23/2021
Wait this is slash nvm it isn’t nice~ ignore that
GODKINGASH chapter 2 . 1/23/2021
Nice~
Nad19 chapter 19 . 1/3/2021
aww more please, it has been interesting
Artisan03 chapter 2 . 12/15/2020
...I have been trying to re-find this fic for FOREVER ;-; and I'm so happy I finally did. XD
2,384 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 .. Last Next »