Reviews for Come Into the Light, or SelfNotSelf
Kira Kyuu chapter 1 . 10/7/2012
This is interesting :3 Do you plan on expanding this at all?

K9
RuinofDarkness chapter 1 . 9/24/2011
I read this back a few months ago, but I hadn't had a chance to review...

This fanfiction is so wonderful; I'm eternally for Jake and the hybrid, that'll finally live in the light.
avatarTingal chapter 1 . 9/14/2011
Such a wonderful story! It's beauty and it's insight leaves one breathless.
RuinofDarkness chapter 1 . 7/10/2011
I am in love with your fanfiction. I wasn't sure if anyone else had thought so deeply into the avatars. Bravo. You even managed a happy ending.
trickstersink chapter 1 . 5/31/2011
This was truly amazing. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this. When I first saw the movie, I wondered the same questions. I wondered how they could create a body and mind, but prevent it from working on its own. I'm glad other people have pondered this, too.

Well done.
thecrimsontag chapter 1 . 5/31/2011
... I am really at a loss for words at this point O.o

Good

Job

Keep rocking
Bigoldfrog chapter 1 . 5/5/2011
The way in which this idea has been crossed is nothing short of immaculate.
Dad chapter 1 . 5/4/2011
This is... it's... wow. Just... wow. I was wandering around after reading this, barely able to put a coherent sentence together. Amazing. You really do have talent, kid.
Random the Na'vi chapter 1 . 5/2/2011
This is jaw-droppingly beautiful. It addresses the one aspect of the Avatar universe that made me really uncomfortable. I was watching the Avatars twitching in their tanks, their eyes moving just like someone in REM sleep...how can anything living *not* have a soul? Bugs live little bug lives, doing little bug things for little bug reasons; how much more true must that be for a being with a brain even more complex than a human's? (Our brains have two lobes; tha Na'vi, three.)

The way Jake's Avatar gradually aquires Self and Being and a sense of Time and Place, is reminiscent of a thought-experiment conducted by the philosopher Etienne de Condillac (mid-1700's) in which he explains how a statue, given only the sense of smell, could become a fully aware being. I tripped over that last week and thought, 'That sounds so Avatar!' Let it be so...and I'm glad your version of Jake achieved symbiosis with this other being rather than going for an out-and-out takeover.

Thank you for bringing me this!
Sothis Star1 chapter 1 . 5/2/2011
Masterful. This was brilliantly, brilliantly written. I am in awe.

I know how tricky it is to write this sort of perspective, because I've tried. You make it look almost easy. I'm very, very impressed.
Ardikani4 chapter 1 . 5/1/2011
Interesting take! I must admit, the thought of whether or not the Na'vi bodies had the consciousness to go along with it never crossed my mind. The way you played Jake in this was fitting, as well. He didn't want to take what was never really his and deny the true being its right to life. What a fascinating view on such an intriguing movie.

Ardikani4/AlwaysThere
Ashen Key chapter 1 . 5/1/2011
Oh, WOW. I've always wondered if the Avatars have their own 'Self', as it were (and thus, the implications of the drivers coming in and controlling is more than a little D: inducing and creepy), and this is just lovely. A little creepy, as it's going to be, but in the end, I really really really love how you concluded and resolved it.
Igaveuponthisyearsago chapter 1 . 5/1/2011
My mindblown

Very interesting thing you've wrote here.
BigBlueJake chapter 1 . 5/1/2011
Fascinating way to approach this possibility, and it has a better ending than another recent one-shot about the possibility of the avatar having its own mind.

If you read the Project 880 scriptment, the avatar body originally was described as having some basic consciousness. The avatar could move, make sounds and open its eyes like a newborn baby, and the driver helped with the decanting so that the driver's face would be the first thing the avatar saw. James Cameron didn't describe anything more than that, but it seemed that the avatars would have been able to feed themselves and move around enough not to get stiff if their driver left them alone for a few days.
Polbear chapter 1 . 5/1/2011
Oh, I love it! There are no words for how well you've done this. It's not easy to introduce senses without using them and all of that, and I know that because I've tried, but you've done an awesome job with this! I never really thought about the fact that there was probably another being (or self, as you so well put it) in Jake's Avatar, but it makes sense. :D