Reviews for To Build a Home
QueenOfQuiet17 chapter 20 . 5/30/2011
I love this ending. You could tell there was this sense of melancholy, even if it was slightly suppressed, throughout, making Grace's appearance all the more surprising. And Will and Karen's reunion couldn't have been handled more beautifully. There really isn't any other way I could picture that-a minimal amount of words that aren't the norm in a situation such as this. It was excellent. I can't wait to see what you have in store next.
QueenOfQuiet17 chapter 19 . 5/29/2011
Lesson number one: never cross Grace ever, haha.

I definitely understand Grace's anger, but it definitely only makes me feel that much more for Karen. The exchange was so rich and charged with emotion which made everything incredibly realistic. But since it didn't necessarily end with Karen signing the papers, I'm curious to see how the next chapter plays out.
QueenOfQuiet17 chapter 18 . 5/25/2011
I absolutely love the way you wrote this chapter, from Karen's perspective instead of a third person. There really wasn't any other way to do it, not if you want to get the right amount of intimacy out of it. Karen's backstory was fantastic and really added to everything. And of course Grace's and Jack's reaction at the end of the chapter was the perfect end to a chapter filled with melancholy.
QueenOfQuiet17 chapter 17 . 5/25/2011
I was wondering when you were going to incorporate Karen's eavesdropping again, and you didn't disappoint. You handled Karen's confrontation with Will so well, careful enough to include the fact that this did, after all, start out as an affair and marriage is typically the furthest thing from one's mind, and these are tricky waters to navigate. And the kiss at the end in front of everyone was surprising but amazing, and it was a great cliffhanger to end the chapter with. I'm looking forward to Grace's and Jack's reactions.
QueenOfQuiet17 chapter 16 . 5/22/2011
That completely broke my heart. Karen's sadness was communicated so well that you're bringing everyone who reads this down along with her, lol. But I love the course of this story, how something you turn to in order to supposedly gain happiness becomes the cause of all of your sadness. It's heartbreaking, but beautiful.
QueenOfQuiet17 chapter 15 . 5/22/2011
WOW! I was not expecting that Stan would be the one asking for a divorce, especially with his devil may care attitude about the whole thing. It was an unexpected twist that I really appreciate, and I can't wait to see how you handle it. That mixed with Karen's frustration over not being able to talk to Will about the clinic was excellent. Can't wait to read more.
QueenOfQuiet17 chapter 14 . 5/19/2011
I'm intrigued by the phone call from the clinic, not only because I want to know why they're calling, but because of the heavy reality it imposes on Karen. Even though they were bleak times in Scotland, there's the feeling that it could only get worse in Manhattan, and the phone call is a reminder of that. It's just one more addition to this swirl of melancholy that you've cultivated so well, and I can't wait to see where it goes.
QueenOfQuiet17 chapter 13 . 5/18/2011
I absolutely love how you manage to create this air of sadness and still manage to throw in some sweetness in there. You could feel Karen's misery throughout the entire chapter, making the fact that she finally said I love you to Will bittersweet with the uncertainty that he would say it back. And when he did at the end of the chapter, it brought such a beautiful element to it. I'm excited to see what happens now that they've arrived back in Manhattan.
QueenOfQuiet17 chapter 12 . 5/18/2011
The conversation between Will and Stan that Karen overhears is what clinched this chapter for me. The completely carefree attitude that Stan has over Karen's infidelity is troubling but at the same time, you know that they've detached themselves from their marriage a long time ago. But of course what really gets me is Will's objection to ever wanting to marry Karen. It was that point where I could really feel what Karen must have been going through after she heard that, and it's heartbreaking. You did a perfect job of conveying all of this.
QueenOfQuiet17 chapter 11 . 5/18/2011
I loved this chapter for its delicacy. It felt like the moment of questioning Will's sexuality could have been such a heavy thing to deal with, but you handled it in a way that didn't detract from the overall intimacy, as well as the major step Karen took in having him touch her stomach. It was beautiful but a little sad at the same time for the fact that Karen isn't able to let an I love you slip from her lips, even though it's obvious. It was excellent.
QueenOfQuiet17 chapter 10 . 5/12/2011
I really liked this chapter. It was great to see the contrast of the intimacy between them a couple of chapters back with the tension and awkwardness brought up here, with talk of the abortion, motherhood, and Stan finding out about their affair. It's like you're rooting for Karen to overcome all of this, but at the same time it seems inescapable, and I love that conflict.
QueenOfQuiet17 chapter 9 . 5/11/2011
I love the twist you created with Stan walking into Karen's suite in the morning while she was in bed with Will. And the apparent stoicism he showed with it, if anything, makes you feel bad for Karen rather than Stan. I love that even though this entire story is based around melancholia, it's not falling on just one note; you're taking it to different and compelling places. Can't wait to read the next chapter.
QueenOfQuiet17 chapter 8 . 5/11/2011
I loved this. It was wonderful, and fairly vital, to see some sort of intimacy between Karen and Will. But at the same time, I love how you included Karen's trepidation about Will touching her anywhere near her stomach. It's the whole push and pull of this conflict, and you handled it so well.
QueenOfQuiet17 chapter 7 . 5/8/2011
I KNEW IT! I totally called it, haha...

Even though I had already caught on to the basics of what happened pre-Edinburgh, Karen writing it down on paper still had a major impact. We get more of her perspective here than we have so far in this story, and it was a great move. I did not expect her addressing the letter to Grace and Jack, and that little twist ending the chapter was excellent.
QueenOfQuiet17 chapter 6 . 5/8/2011
Oh hell, now I want to read this letter, haha.

I love how Karen was by herself for the majority of this chapter. It gave a great insight into her own personal torment. It's one thing to see how everything affects her with the people involved around her, but it's another thing to see how it affects her when she's alone, and you handled it really well.