Reviews for Ad Oculos
paulc5 chapter 1 . 5/9/2014
This is totally unlike Onscreen Archer. Even Onscreen Archer's introspective moments, brief though they may be, are on his terms.
Your Archer is someone on whom the light of a different sun is dawning.

Which is all rather unfair, since I finally gave up on the character after the risible slo-mo exit from the Xindi sphere.

It seems to me, season 4-wise, for the Vulcan triptych, that the writers should have sent T&T down to Vulcan to recover the
Kir'Shara (Trip's inabilities in desert conditions would have allowed T'Pol to shine through), would have given Trip another encounter with T'Les, offered a startling volte-face as Surak's katra meshed with Trip's mind as the ultra-emotional human became the coolly logical leader of the quest (probably to T'Pol's chagrin), and finally allowed Archer to grandstand on the political stage as he prevented a war between Vulcan and Andoria.

More monkeys please!
Whirlwind421 chapter 1 . 6/30/2011
Great story! I don't really like Arthur either. But, I did like your story. :)
Zero Credibility chapter 1 . 5/27/2011
I don't much care for Archer either, but I like this story because of what it tells us about TnT. It says a lot when Archer - yes, even oblivious mission-centered Archer - notices that they're together.
TnTornado chapter 1 . 5/11/2011
It's good to see you haven't totally disappeared like so many authors - even if it isn't the story I want to see, I'll take anything I can get.

I'm also not a big Archer fan - I'm a diehard Trip fan (even though I'm a guy!) I'm a big fan of characters that are usually the underdog, and I think they can show the most through fanfiction.

Hope your muse gets moving again soon,

DinahD chapter 1 . 5/7/2011
Archer really is becoming a hollow man. I know he can't look beyond the Xindi mission at this point, but what will be left for him? His friends have turned to others for support. Even in the privacy of his quarters, it's clear that the captain is speaking with a member of his crew; only bits and pieces of the close camaraderie he shared with Trip in season one still remain.

And the saddest part of all is that Archer knows that he's failed in his relationships with Trip and T'Pol and perhaps the rest of the crew, but he doesn't know what to do about it. His memories are of Erika, A.G., his dad - people who have slipped away from him for one reason or another. Archer doesn't want to lose Trip; I think he knows he needs him. But Sim is standing between them at this point.

The one thing Archer appears to be avoiding here is his efforts to derail the mission while under the influence of the alien goo, or whatever it was. He appreciated Trip and T'Pol's efforts, but does he feel guilty about coming close to abandoning the people of Earth for some Xindi hatchlings? Does he accept any personal responsibility for his actions or does he see this all as something beyond his control? How does he reconcile this with his "mission at all costs" philosophy? And how would he have treated the hatchlings without the alien goo?

Excellent story, as always. It's always a treat to read one of your stories!
aadarshinah chapter 1 . 5/7/2011
Well, for hating Archer, you certainly do write him well. Maybe it's an attempt to turn him into a more likable/believable/whatnot charecter? Or maybe it's something to do with how he's the central charecter of so many episodes, making it a subconcious thing to want the story to be Archer-centered or from his POV?

Either way, this is a nice like story and can't wait 'til your next posting, whatever 'verse it might be in.

startraveller776 chapter 1 . 5/6/2011
We ought to find a way to tie your muse down and keep her around (or him?). You have an incredible talent for writing. I don't see how you can't not write all the time!

Anyway, enough of my baby-whining. I love this story (as if that weren't readily apparent). I am generally not a fan of first person POV, but you've done a brilliant job here. I can feel the worry that Jon has over his friendship with Trip, the conflicting emotions of balancing that with the importance of the mission, and how he seems unsure how he feels about the idea of Trip and T'Pol being a couple.

A great read. Thank you.
brankel1 chapter 1 . 5/4/2011
Great job.
framework4 chapter 1 . 5/3/2011
Interesting view. I can understand why you used Archer's POV. Delightful as always.
TheNaggingCube chapter 1 . 5/3/2011

I so enjoy your longer fics but this short introspective was wonderful. It fit the episode so well, one could easily imagine this scene.

obsessed romantic chapter 1 . 5/3/2011
Nice one. Little tidbit to tide us over? Yes? Hints that Archer maybe isn't as dim as canon makes him out to be. Not up to your usual standard, but considering it's from the POV of a character you don't like... Still enjoyable, anyway. Good job.
Dbear chapter 1 . 5/3/2011
This was up to your normal outstanding standards.

I like how you show the hell that Jon is going through trying to accomplish the mission. Plus you also show that despite the problems the two men have had they still consider each other friends.

Plus I always suspected Archer had a fair idea that Trip and T’Pol had something going on, some authors write it as if he hasn’t a clue, but there was hints he had a good idea what was going on.

I look forward to more of your writing.
Alelou chapter 1 . 5/3/2011
Nice one. Glad to see you're still around! Hope you find Miss Muse again, or even better that she finds YOU and insists that you do some ass kicking on Divergent Paths.