Reviews for Mother Gothel Searches for Truth
MrRobertsIII chapter 1 . 10/24/2013
Good and scary job.
Rosawyn chapter 1 . 7/23/2013
Well, that was horrifying. Which is, obviously, exactly what you were going for here, so major kudos!

I find it fascinating that you wrote the entire thing in dialogue. I did something similar for a challenge once, and it certainly was a challenge. lol I must admit I was a little confused as who which character was which at the very start, but I figured it out pretty quickly all things considered. I also have to admit that even at the end I'm not entirely sure if Karl is meant to be an OC or another name for Flynn Rider (though I'm leaning towards OC).

In my opinion, you have Mother Gothel's characterization perfect. She's dark and selfish and cruel but pretends to be the "good" one in this exchange, going so far as to accuse Karl of being violent, when she's the one wielding a hammer. :O

In the end, it was pretty clear to me that Karl's method of pleading for his life wasn't going to work. :/ He basically tells her he is a coward who'll do anything to save his own skin - not exactly reassuring on a resume for bodyguard. lol

I'm relatively certain this is the first Tangled fanfic I've ever read, and it's certainly not what I would expect a "typical" Tangled fanfic to be like. But having read some of your other word previously, it's certainly up to the quality I expected from you. ;) It really is always a joy to read your writing. :D
SunnyStorms chapter 1 . 7/21/2013
This was great, especially for an all dialogue piece. I didn't find that bit jarring at all. The fact actually slipped into the background as I was pulled into the story. I felt that it was a good stylistic choice on your part to forgo quotation marks here in that regard since it made the all dialogue aspect of the story less obtrusive. When dialogue isn't in quotation marks, it also acquires this quieter but more intense feel for me as well, which was a further good fit for the nature of the dialogue here of a torture and interrogation session. Mother Gothel's characterization was also well done through her manner of speech in this piece from the almost placating sweetness she put on to justify her actions to the moments where her loss of temper showcased her true self. My two cents for the piece is to consider adding more urgency and desperation into Karl's side of the dialogue, perhaps more cues that he's in pain or has been in pain. He did come across as rather calm and collected to me after the obvious hint of torture having been used. Thus I feel the addition would up the horror aspect of the piece. But overall, it was an intriguing read, especially as we got to see more of Mother Gothel's psychotic self on display.
IrishPanther chapter 1 . 7/21/2013
Warning: never seen Tangled, so I cannot comment on characterization or anything of that like.

Moving on, this one-shot was dark, that's for sure. So we have this guy, Karl, climbing up Rapunzel's hair, and now he's been held hostage by Mother Gothel. She starts asking him all these questions, and even if he is telling the truth in most of his answers, she simply shrugs it off as lies and continues to torment him. Seems to me like someone's abusing their power, eh?

The more I read into this, the more it started to make sense; and then I hit the ending, and it was there that it came full circle. Rapunzel's hair is full of magic (magical what, I will never know...again, fandom blind), and Gothel thinks that Karl wants it for himself. She even goes to say that she would molest her and her daughter if she kept him around. Even when he swears he would never do such a thing, and even promotes an idea of being her server, she still won't let him be. She's afraid of him spilling everything he heard during his torture treatment, and ends up killing him (or leaving him to die).

Apparently Gothel had a stick up her ass the whole time, because she still needs to live in that day of age where nobody trusts anybody. I feel for Karl, because I knew he was telling the truth; he was a smuggler that found his way into the castle, and he didn't want to harm anyone. Where does she go off to explain that all men are heartless and fears the worst for her and her daughter; geez, I cannot stand that...

Anyway, in terms of SPAG, no mistakes were spotted, as you did an excellent job switching back and forth from Gothel and Karl's dialogue without quotations. Nice work there! Once again, I enjoyed reading this amazingly written one-shot! :)
ReadingBlueWolf chapter 1 . 7/11/2013
The beginning for me was a bit confusing. I think it was between Flynn and Gothel, but I’m not entirely sure. Okay, so the man was Karl. I like the implied torture. It’s different and a little sick, but man… A hammer… I’m now interested to know who Karl is. I kind of hope he is really Karl. She’s a bit brutal, but I totally picture Gothel like this. It’s really neat. Whoa. She was dark at the end. I almost hoped that she turned him into the chameleon. But, Gothel always got what she wanted and I love how you brought that through. Nice job.
Tune4Toons chapter 1 . 7/9/2013
Oh nice, an all-dialogue piece! First off, oh my god. Didn't even need to see the scene play out itself to know the torture she did on him, like a hammer? (And that's not even counting the vaguer ones… Poor guy…) Their voices are clearly distinct as well, so coupled with the italics, it was very easy to follow along and imagine the scene playing out (I imagine him in a dark room being tied to a chair similar to how Flynn was in the movie). And since it is indeed just dialogue, the way they spoke and invoke our imagination is an awesome thing you did to bring out the horror. Gothel was creepy before, but with what you did here, holy… Geez, I'm getting jealous of your pieces haha. XD Thanks for another awesome read! Cheers!

Green Phantom Queen chapter 1 . 7/9/2013
Oh dear god.

After seeing Tangled, and how Gothel can be named "Worst mother in Disney ever", to see how she's going insane from a person who 'innocently' found Rapunzel is so beyond creepy. Of course people will be curious to a girl in a tower-did she not realize that? I mean if Gothel has all of those magic spells on her, a surveillance one would be nice to ensure that she can attack anyone who gets in the way of her and her daughter

Another thing I like to point out is that she's a hypocrite. She only calls Rapunzel her daughter in the fact that she can use the hair to be immortal forever. She emotionally abuses the poor girl and doesn't care for her other than her looks. As long as "mother knows best", Rapunzel will be brainwashed. Poor poor girl.

My only downside is that we just have dialogue and no actions. "Actions speak louder than words" and to see Mother Gothel just doing SOMETHING like poking Karl's eyes out or some sort of acts of violence to show how deranged she's become should give it a darker feel. I mean, words are powerful tools, but action and violence can accentuate the dialogue very, very well. However, hearing the dialogue in Gothel's voice where it's sweet and syrupy just reminded me that she's pure evil and that she only cares for herself even when she believes that she's so much better than a guy who accidentally wanders into the tower area.

All in all. Well done. Thank you for writing.
riaser chapter 1 . 7/8/2013
Whooo! I don't read for Tangled too often, but, here I am, so it's review time!

So, we know, already, that Mother Gothel is one scary lady. That much is totally obvious, and I'm happy to say that you characterized her so well, I could hear her voice in my head and see the animations, it was almost like the actual producers wrote it...well, except for the fact that you use what's probably her true nature, the one in the movie is a little toned down for kids. But that's irrelevant.

I really liked this a lot, I could tell that Karl is terrified once he sees that Mother is a really terrifying person. I especially love how you end with Mother saying goodbye, so sweetly, but with a poisonous and terrible undertone to her words. Just like her!

I thought it was interesting how you used a combinations of italics and regular text. It was a little confusing at times, but didn't detract from the story.

Overall, awesome job! :D
Madam'zelleGiry chapter 1 . 7/8/2013
I have to be honest... I absolutely adore this movie, and I'm so thrilled that you wrote a piece such as this for this fandom. I'm really excited to see where you go with this. The dark, horror genre really interests me, because there's just so much you can do here. You've sold me before I even started to read... :D

I really love stories that use only dialogue, but generally only when they're well done, because it's easy for them to get confusing. Let me be the one to tell you that this most certainly *was* very well done. It's not something that I would have imagined seeing in this fandom, but that makes it all the more fascinating. The characterization is a unique way of looking at Mother Gothel, but it's not without foundation. You've taken something that we saw within her in canon and expanded it into a very chilling oneshot. I love the way that you're able to get her speech patterns down perfectly, because that's really making it all the more amazing for me to read.

I don't really know what to say... you impress me over and over again with your writing. I think that writing this in all dialogue was a perfect choice of style, and it was very impressive. I loved it, and I look forward to reading more from you!

Cheers, dearie!
darkaccalia520 chapter 1 . 7/7/2013
Wow...not quite what I expected for a Disney story. However, I really love that you used the villain and took the character one step further, if you will, making Mother Gothel more sinister than Disney could for rating reasons...and the fact if they had done this, they probably would have had a lot of kids with nightmares. ;) I really love how she relentlessly tortured Karl. Not only that, I love how you wrote her. Mother Gothel is one of those characters where it's more about what's not said than what is. She has a way of trying to sugarcoat her threats, using petnames and calling herself a loving mother. And in the end, she got exactly what she wanted. It sort of made me laugh how she stopped everything with Karl's promise. If only he'd done that before...but she had to break him first. Quite an intriguing look into Disney's darker side, and I loved it. Well done. :)

One little thing:

made less then sixteen years ago is missing it.-made less than sixteen years ago is missing it.
Estoma chapter 1 . 7/7/2013
Generally, I am not a fan of dialogue only stories, however, this one was quite an interesting read and you pulled it off very well too! Karl and Gothel both have distinct characters which you're very clever to show just through their dialogue. This is a clever piece of writing.

At first the italics confused me a little bit, but I feel now that they make it much easier to read, because I could easily tell who was speaking, which otherwise may have been quite difficult with only dialogue.

What I really liked was the way you let the readers know that torture was taking place without mentioning it. Sort of like a 'fade to black' sex scene. It was nicely subtle. For example: [Put the hammer down. Put it down! Oh, god no, please-] We know exactly what's going on there, but you haven't had to say it. In fact, I like your version of torture a lot better than what I've written about it.

[HEY! I'm not violent.] This is a personal opinion, but I'm quite against using all capitals like this. Personally, I think it looks a little unprofessional, and the exclamation mark does the job. Just my opinion though.

inkedvigilante chapter 1 . 6/13/2013
At first I was a little confused with how and why the format, but then as I read on I could clearly tell what was going on. You really kept to Mother Gothel's character with her little quirks and words such as "dearie". The audience could picture an interrogation scene quite easily from this and aside from that, you had good pacing in the story.
I could imagine Karl's pain even without describing it fully and you really controlled the dialogue well enough for us to create a similar imagery.
To be honest, I am no fan ofsuch format but what you didwas really engaging! I don't know how you did it or why you did it, but you did it well! Kudos! Readers could understand this and I believe we just dove into Mother Gothel's character even more.
Wendy Brune chapter 1 . 5/29/2013
Wow! This was incredibly dark for a Disney movie, yet it was still 100% believable! You really nailed Mother Gothel's way of speaking, which I think is what makes this story work. The little quirks in her character - calling people "love," referencing part of "Mother Know's Best," - make the contrast between her sugary way of speaking and what she's actually doing very strong. Mix in her twisted logic of how men are out for themselves and that he would be "heartless" to steal away her source of power (which she herself stole in the first place), and I think you've got a great, thought provoking piece.

I also enjoyed the style you wrote this in, although at first glance I shied away from it. But it really did work - it's like those movies where you never see the monster; anything you imagine in your head is more extreme and scary.

Excellent work.
Ynnealay chapter 1 . 5/19/2013
Whoa, that's dark... very good though...
Sherrywine chapter 1 . 4/1/2013
Wow, insanely gruesome, but mostly because my own brain added in all the images you were creating with your words. Excellent, excellent writing - you set up each scene in a way I found believable and interesting. I think I liked most that I had to fill in the gaps myself and that you didn't come right out and tell what was happening. Mother Gothel is one creepy lady!