Reviews for In Band Class, Before the Tuning…
GhostPhoenix chapter 2 . 5/15/2012
Gotta agree with ya there! Being oboist kinda sucks because you always get ignored by the director, and are always last to tune and stuff like that. Oh, and you can't march it! What kinda crap is that? I had to learn alto so I could march. ALTO! You probably know how I feel, right? Anyway, great job. Captured what goes on in band perfectly.
Rae of Rosemary chapter 1 . 2/3/2006
Heh-that's really great. I'm a clarinet in our poor, itty-bitty band. No oboists. No French Horns, either. But out trumpests are ecactly the same as yours...

Keep writing!

-Rae
AI the oboe geek chapter 2 . 4/8/2005
Ha... You and I are um, mind twins? I dunno. But the trumpets-well, let's not even get strated with the trumpets. But we don't tune every class, so um, I don't even know what I'm writing. But your story is practically how my whole day goes, with out the instruments go though.
Keri Maxwell chapter 2 . 6/24/2004
hurrah! band geeks of the world unite! as a clarinet, i have to agree that we are only in tune with ourselves, but our band can't even seem to pull that off.

i saw this movie once about spanish missionaries and a guy in there played an oboe...and then the natives snapped it in half...eh heh heh n.n;
ellequoi chapter 2 . 4/25/2003
First of all, you are a master of humour. I have to commend you on the ranting and the annoying things that happen and the instrument prejudice (there should be a word ending in -ism for that). You switch tense when worrying about the Chemistry test, however.

My band dynamics are slightly different. We have music class, where we play scales and single out instrument parts in the songs, and band, which is extracurricular and sounds so much better. The flute players ARE evil and take up 1.5 rows, the oboe part is played by violin and electric guitar, and the saxes are never tuned. Especially the tenors, who are prone to sucking. We have awesome percussionists and two trumpets—TWO! No-one can hear us except the poor clarinet in front of me, who wants so desperately to move.

Usually, we trumpets blast each other. It shows a whole other side of kindness in us, not least because we're already used to the sound. We also go around with the conviction that trumpets are best, reed instruments are to be pitied, and we should feel free to empty our spit valve whenever we feel like.

I know you said you've drifted off, but I would love to see something else from you.
Lotos-Eater chapter 1 . 7/16/2002
DUDE. Oboe sisters of the world, unite!

Assuming you are a sister, hem hem. I FEEL YOUR PAIN. Yes, ALL OF IT. Trumpets in the ears, snotty flute players, high school orchestras for whom there exist no adjectives to describe (except to say that a choir of piccolos would be better in tune). Incidentally, someday you will find a GOOD orchestra to play in and then you will realize the lovely, sweet truth: EVERYTHING in orchestra music is a solo for the oboe (at least first chair), and from what you say herein I think you would like that a lot! A veteran of ensembles of all ages and skill levels, I say, do not turn up your nose at all other sections! Yes, they may suck, or they may be so snobbish and self-important that just looking at them makes you want to gag, but just about all musicians are like this on the surface level: if we didn't love to hear ourselves make noise, we wouldn't be very good musicians. But underneath so much shallow egotism are some of the best and most devoted friends you will ever have, and they are the only people who, ahem, will ever understand why your ego is so big. No offense meant! I thought your little story was hysterical, and it brought me back to the bad old days of high school playing. Two more things and then I'll really stop, I promise! One: I, too, have had an oboe-nemesis, and the only way to deal with them, I think, is just to beat them EVERY TIME. She hates you because you're better than her, believe me. But I'll say it again: from all the oboists I've known, I've found my worst enemies... and best, dearest friends. Two: I'm sure the Buffett is lovely, but just WAIT until you get a Loree. Oh, how I love my Loree. I'll stop now, honest! But how long have you been playing? Do you make your own reeds? If not, you cannot know the true PAIN of being an oboist. Although I secretly think it's the best part...
the lone orange chapter 2 . 5/16/2002
'Clarinets are only in tune with themselves.'

As a long time clarinet player, I have to thank you profusely for that line.

And then agree totally with you.

;)
tromboneblah chapter 2 . 5/14/2002
woo thats funny! at least you didnt say mena things about the trombones(tho im sure you could have) mt band class is also very evil! my section (the trombone) is always being told to play louder but does ne1 but me try? noooooooo! stupid dumbasses they're are what makes our section suck! they are evil and they tease me and i hate their fucking guts! uh hehe guess i got kinda carried away sorry wont happen again. newayz good story things like go thru my head 2
Elenvend chapter 2 . 4/17/2002
Oh geeze! I wanted to play the oboe, and almost got too..then the oboe player who was going to quit (thus giving me the school's oboe) changed her mind. ::pout::

I agree, flutes are kind of evil, but my best friend plays it. Mipe! And trumpets can be evil too, but another one of my best friends plays THAT...yikes.

One time in band, one of the trumpets was forced to sit in the front row for misbehaviour...right next to our piccolo player, who enjoyed playing her high notes EXTRA loud just for him. She didn't seem to notice that everyone else's eardrums were bleeding too.
Yashshii-Soshite-Mujaki chapter 2 . 4/10/2002
Lovely so far! Keep it coming!
Little Lotte Daae chapter 2 . 4/10/2002
geez-o-monkeys! no one likes the trumpets! *pouts* i'm a nice trumpeter...

hey, i think our oboes in our band are cool _ infact, sometimes the kid next to me likes to quack along with them lol

WHY dont people like trumpets? i really want to know! i dont blast! hell, i can barely play! lol

funny story, tho _
LittleLily chapter 2 . 4/9/2002
Hit the evil oboe and piccolo over the head! LoL. (I'm kidding, please do not resort to violence... heh) Nice thoughts, if I were an oboe I'm sure I'd think of the same things. Not really though, concidering there is only one oboe in my band and she's cool.
a band member chapter 2 . 4/6/2002
I agree with this...even tho i play the French horn. The whole pay attention in band thing is hard. At least you dont have people complaining in the middle of a songabout spit coming out of the instruments. Owell. Band will be band i guess. btw really liked the thoughts in general...at least i know i m not the only one now.
Kanoi chapter 2 . 4/6/2002
yes, you were flamed, but mildly, and only by flutes. it happens to the best of us! hilarious stuff - i'm so sorry that your orchestra is better than you! even my mom says ours sucks, and she's not just being nice!
Cami Drace chapter 2 . 4/6/2002
LOL! Very funny! I play the flute too...and one of my best friends plays the flute and the oboe! And her oboe sometimes talks to her as well...she calls it 'Mr. Oboe.' Our band director calls it that as well! O_o; Trumpets and saxophones and so on are a pain! -.-; Loooud...headaches...ugh! Anyway, very, very funny! :)