Reviews for Under the Curse
HC0 chapter 5 . 11/12/2009
I don't find Fingon/Maedhros slash to be "icky", just...unexpected. And admittedly, this story, while good, has more sexual activity and so forth than I would put into a story with such a pairing. That includes Loin-Dragon.
a contented anon chapter 11 . 5/17/2009
One of the best fanfictions I've ever read. Beautiful, wonderful writing, very moving, and flawless attention to canon.
Daughter Mestizo chapter 2 . 10/21/2004
Oh boy, "Have a good time." actually made me laugh out loud! Well, nine more chapters to go!

I'm always worried at the beginning of new slash fics that they'll end up being smutty or just plain sloppy. You, however, impress me.

D-M

P.S. Have you ever read the works of Tinni? She has very well-written Sil based stories, with some slash.
alexcat chapter 11 . 9/23/2004
Finch,

I found you through... well, the Galvorns perhaps and my search for Finrod fic. I decided I needed to read Maedhros and Fingon fiction. I had come across some drawings done by Ecthelion of the Fountain and they made mention of this story.

Anyway, I have bawled my eyes out while reading it and am sitting her sniffling still. I don't know whether to thank you or curse you for rendering a heart wrenching tale even sadder than it was.

My hat is off to you.
Akedhi chapter 11 . 7/24/2004
Curse you, you managed to make me cry, and in the library too. Wow. I thought I could never enjoy slash (which, while I do not generally condone it, is not necessarily 'squicky and written by sick people' as some poor fool said), but you have managed to make this story a favorite. Not fair. Again, I say 'Wow' because there is not much else to encompass my reaction...
Machinesister chapter 1 . 7/1/2004
Poignant, powerful, beautiful. This work of art stirred something deep in my soul and gave me an indescribable feeling...I almost cried at the part where Fingolfin asked Fingon's forgiveness. This story is amazing, in canon, delicious. I pity any frog in the barrel who hasn't read this. Well done!

PS: Though I disagree that your style of writing resembles that of Tolkien's...it's hard to write like him when you have to use a more personal tone.
Ecthelion of the Fountain chapter 1 . 5/20/2004
This is indeed a miracle. A person like me, who never appreciates slash and strongly objects to it in all aspects, is attracted by this brilliant story. You succeeded in nearly everything. You wove the homosexual emotions into the whole background, and those emotions are not simply for the purpose of unpleasant slash, but for the serious discussions you brought forth. I must admit that I almost forgot this was a story against my principles, and it's really one of the most excellent Silm fanfics I've ever read. And even because of this work, I will not criticize slash as a wholly unacceptable existence any more.
What makes me so involved in this story is probably the feeling which resemble the Silm, the legends and tales of the First Age, very much. This is totally different from most of the slash fictions I've heard of or dabbled in. I cannot accept things too AU, or too far diverted away from the original characters and background, so taking homo-erotic acts for granted in Tolkien's world, or even worse, making this only an indulging of the author's own secret pleasure, is unbearable to my critical and picky eyes. However, Under the Curse is completely not like that. The imperfection of the Elves due to the Marring of Arda does offer the probability to inspire such kind of emotions as are against their true nature. In this story, I can see the struggle with this inherent fault, the feelings both of despair and hope, guilty and desire, condemnation and bliss, ...the self-examination, the rising from falls...these are really serious and amazing. Maybe this is the very feeling I've got from Silm. Just think of something others said when I read Silm - they said Silm was "dark, very dark". But there was also light, although splintered, yet existed, and would never wane, "till the end of days".
Thank you for bringing us such a story. Indeed.
Nol chapter 11 . 1/29/2004
I've been an ungrateful reader, coming back greedily to this story time after time, never saying much - although, in defence, it was often thanks to a loss of words. Firstly, thank you. For a love story that hurts as much as it gives joy, is convincing, poignant, and grows with each new thread until, in the end, it transcends events, and in that last moment, even the lovers themselves. I cannot shake off that wonderfully bittersweet feeling that the story leaves me with, of the melding of their love and guilt into something inseparable from the other. It finally achieves something much more complex and hardhitting than a conventional unhappy ending. I never know whether to smile or cry for these two. The individual chapters themselves are beautiful, a joy to read in your uncluttered, lucid style. One of the best stories I've read told here.
RavenLady chapter 11 . 12/4/2003
First off, I'm very grateful for your reviews. You're not at all obligated, you know, but it means a lot.
ch. 9 and 10 - I'm impressed with your fascinating explanation of what Maedhros was thinking during this time. Something I have always wondered. The moment with Maglor in the snow was vivid and haunting. Brilliant take on the Halls of Mandos as well. (I'm guessing the unamed voices include Aredhel, Aegnor and the C's, I don't know about the others.)
ch. 11 - The ending is very beautiful, painful, and convincing. It feels like the direction this saga was always headed in, though I couldn't have guessed. *Sigh* I've lost sleep in the process of reading this, but it has definitely been worthwhile.
RavenLady chapter 8 . 11/28/2003
Hm . . . I really like how you dealt with Maedhros' brothers in ch. 5 and 6. Loved the Finrod bat thing, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.
And this:
"Yes; perhaps we could just as well make the long-overdue marriage announcement. Then you could play at our wedding."
*falls off chair*
As always, you handled the serious aspects very well. Which brings me to ch. 7 and 8.
"Mortals would never feel it as keenly. They hated the orcs merely for what they did, and not also for what they were."
Wonderful bit of insight. Fingon's last moments were amazing. And Maedhros' reaction to his death . . . wow. I'm not going to try to describe how moving that was.
This is a beautiful and heartbreaking piece of work. I see you threatened to end with these chapters, but am very happy to see that there are four more. This is one of those stories that has really made me think, not to mention *feel.*
RavenLady chapter 4 . 11/16/2003
There are some fics that become a part of my Sil reading experience, because every time I read a particular part there is a fanfic that has changed the way I look at the story and made it come alive for me. I won't be able to look up references to Maedhros and Fingon for a while without getting emotional. And it's your fault. Thank you for a truly beautiful story, and I hope to be back.
Prophetic Fire chapter 10 . 8/9/2003
I find I cannot help but to review more than once. This DESERVES to be reviewed more than once. After reading what others have had to say about your story, I feel my own opinions were just too shallow to express what I was truly feeling. Ai! Eru that sounded horrible! But you can find it in yourself to forgive me, can you not? I skim ideas off the other reviewers when I say that this fic had such a broad range of emotions in it. In fact, you (being the amazingly talented author you are) have actually made me feel every one of those emotions. Curses! if I could be that good...*sighs*

I guess this would be the part where I ramble on and on and on about nothing in particular, just to get these feelings out of me, but I shall spare you having to suffer through that. Instead I will settle for writing meaningless sentences from the heart before I go to bed. *sighs again* I do have a question for you. If it is at all possible, will you read one (or more) of my stories and tell me what I can improve upon? I would appreciate gratefully.

I believe I am going to shut up now, before you tire of me. Be forewarned though, I shall return, and I shall return expecting the same greatness I have experienced here. This has got to be the longest review I have ever written, but you are well deserving of it. I take my leave now. Namarie...
Prophetic Fire chapter 11 . 8/9/2003
*stares at the computer screen for a long time with tears in her eyes* Oh my...wow. Unbelievable. Beautiful in every aspect. I loved it. If ever there was a master of beautiful writing, you are it. You know? Beauty isn't even a strong enough word for what I'm feeling right now. I must say normally I am not a fan of slash, but your story has definitely changed my opinion. For the better. I- I just cannot believe what you have done with this. I- wow. Truly awe-inspiring. *bows deeply* I congratulate you, applaud you, give you a standing ovation, and send you my deepest gratitude. You will forever be hailed as one of the most talented authors whose stories I have had the pleasure of reading. Now, I must find more...*casts a last glance over her shoulder at Fingon and Maedhros before walking off to read more fanfiction*
Sothis Simbelmyne chapter 11 . 7/26/2003
I must admit that I don't take slash seriously mostly. But this is just too good. I love the way you portrayed the Halls of Mandos, how everybody must ask for forgiveness, and grant forgiveness, in order to be released. The lesson the dead should learn. And, Fingon and Maedhros are both wonderfully angsty.

Maglor is adorable too. Especially the scene where he sorts of sing to the door, and the bolt starts to slide. Also, how he kicked the door closed when he caught sight of Fingon.
Claudi007 chapter 11 . 5/30/2003
I think the part that struck me most here was the idea of Maedhros' struggles in comparisson to Fingon's, and then the description of the fëar themselves. The way you have them sort of moving, looking up, weeping, touching and so forth, while all the time we're reminded that they have no actual bodies so these very simple things must be performed in a new and strange way. I really like that. Great work.