Reviews for The Portrait
Happy.Death.Executioner chapter 21 . 9/6
Love it, can't wait for moreeee
C.S. Augustoni chapter 21 . 9/1
I hope you're better/getting better ! this story is amazing and you very proud of yourself !
C.S. Augustoni chapter 17 . 8/31
I love it I love it !
so.ouka chapter 21 . 8/28
I miss tom, and mirtile presence makes me uneasy.
Also i forgot to say it in the precedent chapter but having some french culture in an english fic or just a non France based universe is always weird for a lil Frenchie like me, however reading some perfect french is always a pleasure.
so.ouka chapter 19 . 8/28
Alright so i said just before that i liked the drarry but this chapter made me quitte worried for draco, your note smoothed all my worries though, if they can be happy and their separation not painful then i dont need anything else. Also i feel like tom whine a lot? Is it just me? It's always about trust, i get that all their relationship depends on harry's trust but tom should just tell harry to fuck off if he still doubt him every morning
so.ouka chapter 18 . 8/28
I finally caught up again reading everything a second time was longer than expected.
In yhe old version harry had discover that tom influenced his dream with the meditation though, or was it just my imagination? Because i didnt read anything about it ? Or i just missed it? Anyway, i love the drarry
BrilliantLady chapter 21 . 8/27
Unique story, thanks for sharing!
TMarvoloRiddle1944 chapter 21 . 8/26
I really liked this chapter, and rons sort of accepted the couple :)
Also liked the fact Draco paid. Small effort but the appropriate response I felt.
baobabB612 chapter 21 . 8/24
I have to say that I love the way you write slashhomosexual caracteres are not stereotyped, there isn't a "woman" in the couple, or such crap. Thanks a lot
baobabB612 chapter 21 . 8/24
Anonybutt chapter 21 . 8/23
I remember reading this some time ago. I'm happy to see that you're well and continuing the story. It's very well-written, very realistic, very emotional, and very addicting. Your very first chapter could use some TLC, mostly because of the big blocks of text (I actually wound up skipping it altogether due to fear of a headache, but don't worry, I did at least skim it and was very engrossed in each chapter afterward), but other than that I can't really see much wrong with this. I do believe that Tom discovered and accepted his feelings towards Harry far too soon-personally, I think he'd be in just as much denial over it as Harry-and Harry's infatuation with Tom seems to be accelerating too quickly.

His dreams of Tom are a little too out of character and out of place. Maybe not so much with the recent dreams, but when you mentioned that he had such dreams during his time in Hogwarts I became a little skeptical. It feels kind of forced and a bit much like you were trying to make the ship sail too quickly. It didn't feel like a natural progression, but like Harry had become almost-unknowingly obsessed with Tom simply after seeing that his younger self was very, very attractive. Most people don't become obsessed with others in such a manner just for their looks, smarts, and tragic backgrounds. At least, I wouldn't expect it from Harry, no matter how much denial you slapped on his character.

It usually takes time for someone to start dreaming of someone in real life on that level, where the dream isn't a quick and nigh-forgettable flash of imagination but a memorable, long, almost-but-certainly-not-lucid one. I would think so, anyway. To be fair, dreams are one of the strangest parts of the human mind, and I've had some almost unwarranted, very weird dreams. None of them sexual in nature, but rather disturbing nonetheless.

[[Beware, big, hypocritical block of text incoming.]]

Also, even with the link between Harry and Tom, I felt like Tom should have started becoming more guarded towards Harry when Tom repeatedly showed Harry personal memory after personal memory only to be shut down time and again. When Harry asked for Tom's memory of fearing for his life in the orphanage, it felt like Tom should have asked, "Why should I? You think you're absolutely justified to see every single personal memory I have, don't you? What will you do when I show you? Why should /I/ trust /you/? Don't think I, myself, can be manipulated so easily! You don't even realize what it is you're doing, do you? Every time I show you something, you believe in me, you believe that I'm not HIM, that I can do better, but only for so long! Every single time, without fail, you shut down whenever you exit this room! You soften me up with you're apologies and sympathy, you tell me you'll give me a chance, I bare myself to you, you leave, and then you somehow always go straight back to avoiding me at all costs! Avoiding the thought that I could be anything more than that... THING. How can I trust you with my most vulnerable moments when I KNOW that you'll just go back to thinking that I am nothing more than a manipulative sociopath? That I can't be anything else? Yes, I am manipulative. Yes, I've hidden things from you that I shouldn't have. Yes, I've done awful things that would see anyone else locked in Azkaban. But I'm trying. I'm trying so hard to be more. I've been more open with you than I have been with myself most of my life, and it's difficult, but I'm getting better and I'm trying. Are you? Are you really?

"... No. I can't trust you like that. Not yet. Not with my fears, not when you'll spit on it by despising me all the same within a few hours. I know you feel like you deserve everything from me, and maybe you do, maybe you don't... but this? This is a two way thing. You can't expect me to tell you every private aspect of my life if you can't be bothered to respect that! Prove to me that you can. Prove to me that you respect my memories, my emotions, my life... Prove that you can accept that I once was and AM a human being."

"But I do!"

"For more than two days."

Wow, I went on a tangent there. Sorry. It just felt kind of off to me when Tom showed Harry his most vulnerable moment when it seemed like every time he opened himself up, Harry would regard him with cold skepticism within the day. Yeah, it's only been a few days that Harry has known Tom, but likewise, Tom has known Harry for only a few days. And like you said, Voldemort's memories are not Tom's memories, but rather a big block of information that he woke up with one day.

It really feels like Harry is unknowingly manipulating Tom right back, even if he is totally justified in his actions, reactions, and suspicions. Honestly, I really friggin' like the sound of that, though it seems out of place that Tom is quite as responsive as he is. Even if he's purposefully opening up to Harry as much as he can, I feel like he can do only so much in that regard. Pull back a bit, maybe? Make Harry fight harder for him when they get on speaking terms again and the whole Drarry thing becomes not a thing?

Yes, Tom needs Harry to trust him in order to have a shot of ever leaving his painted realm, but even then I'd think he'd be more defensive about such a sensitive time. He might've talked about it, how it felt, how it influenced him and the birth of Voldemort, but I think he'd guard the memory itself more closely.

Yes, even if later on in the story it turns out that they were somehow destined to be together, as is what it is sounding like. It definitely seemed that way ever since Harry's talk with his mother.

I feel kind of the same way with Tom's memory of having killed his father and grandparents, though not anywhere near as much since it obviously would have worked out, and in fact did work out, in his favor.

I dunno. It just feels fast, and you've mentioned that several times, and this Drarry thing makes it seem like it's slowing down, but... Again, I dunno. It could be that I just don't know anything about relationships and how they develop, having never been in one, myself. To be fair, in spite of all this, it does actually feel natural and I can see how it all would make sense. The characters feel like real people, and that can be hard to pull off for some.

Also, the Drarry. So much Drarry, and it feels so organic and real. I'm actually kind of wishing that this was a Drarry story instead of a Tomarry, but at the same time, I really want to see this version of Tom happy, sane, and in a relationship with Harry. I'm glad that you're writing the Drarry scenes more for the character development than because it's more appealing to a wider audience (or because Drarry is both adorable when well-executed and something that wouldn't have taken many people by surprise if it were cannon [though, gotta admit, even if it was for all of that, THEY'RE SO ADORABLE TOGETHER IN THIS MY GOD YOU WRITE SO WELL]).

I'm super stoked to see what you'll make of this.

Also, you should write a book. Like, an original-works kind of book that could get published and sold for that good ol' moolah. I feel like you could do it. Maybe add more wandering, mystery, more locations, more action, more suspense... Or maybe I just like seeing adventure-y, mysterious shit too much. Bah.

Still. I loved this fic when I first read it some odd time ago and I'm still loving it. Cheers to you for making it through your illness. Glad you're back. :)

(Sorry for any mistakes in this, I've been binge-reading this fic and it's one in the morning and I'm tired.)
Gime'SS chapter 21 . 8/22
thanks for the update
Kleya chapter 21 . 8/21
Thank you for all of the updates! I've been enjoying your fanfic a great deal and am looking forward to seeing where you take it. c:
Delirium-Dreams chapter 21 . 8/21
Loved it! I really enjoy your writing style
TMarvoloRiddle1944 chapter 20 . 8/18