Reviews for Smile As You Kill
Ka-tay's mind chapter 1 . 2/28
love love love this piece! the style of writing and the characterisation of it all is just extremely fitting; you’ve captured them flawlessly.
Guest chapter 1 . 8/26/2014
this is very interesting...
meh chapter 1 . 3/12/2014
Me - "Oh, a PTSD story from the horror of Astrid's encounters with the Red Death! Plummeting to your demise and seeing your developing crush almost die would do that!"

Story - "Astrid is scarred by her confusing feelings of affection, forgiveness, and empathy! She can no longer be detached and aloof! How traumatizing!"

Me - ...

Me - *thinks about it*

Me (*resignedly*) - "...Vikings..."
R-dude chapter 1 . 1/18/2014
I would prefer to see this rewritten, personally.

Your writing is kind of confusing and jumbled, though thankfully good in the technical sense. This fic is full of inconsistencies, however, not to mention terrible cliches all over the place.

Plus, I don't think you understand the concept of PTSD very well.
MurdererMine chapter 2 . 1/1/2014
So Astrid got PTSD from what now? If it had been the battle with the Red Death (or green death or whateveritscalled) that would've made sense, but she's traumatized by... A lovely flight through the clouds? Suddenly not being at war, thereby being much safer and less at risk of losing family members, limbs and various other things she cares about? Hiccup being nice to her? What?

Don't get me wrong, I quite like the story, I just think you need to reconsider what's considered traumatic. As I mentioned before, the actual battle would've been more traumatic, and Hiccup's loss of his leg could provide plenty of reason for her to push him away. Even just not telling us right away that she's suffering from PTSD, just letting come to our own conclusions as to what's wrong with her mind, would've made it less confusing.

Again, I'm not trying to insult you, and I loved the story.
348joey chapter 2 . 5/7/2013
Good, I shall spare your life, for now.
348joey chapter 1 . 5/7/2013
Forgot I wasn't logged in with my earlier comment. Just letting you know who it is that will hunt down and destroy you in the absence of a sequel. )
Guest chapter 1 . 5/7/2013
Horrible, painful agony will enthrall your life if you do not continue this story. I will personally hunt you down and rip out your insides if a sequel is not made. But otherwise, yeah, I liked the story, provided it doesn't end here.
paper streets chapter 2 . 2/28/2012
I'm a bit speechless, really.

...this is beautiful. deep, haunting, and poetic, I had chills through so much of it.

"When she slept, she dreamt of compulsion, of bliss. She dreamt of the pulse of leathery wings, of pastel sunsets, and of the seemingly ill-fated harbinger that had started it all."

That whole paragraph was just flawless. The perfect way to start things off because it really sets a good frame for Astrid's state of mind.

This whole plot was very intriguing to me. I've always found PTSD (the causes and effects of it) to be such an interesting topic. That said, I probably would've never thought of the idea of Astrid suffering from it post-movie. But it makes total sense when I think about it.

Really, thank you for writing this. I have a feeling this is one of those rare fanfics that is so good I'll end up reading it over and over again in the future.

I really loved it.
LadyLore3 chapter 1 . 9/26/2011
Wow, this was amazing. I get so excited when I find really fabulous writers in this fandom who actually know how to write, haha. Your take on Astrid was completely believable and extremely well-written. Great job! :)
Tagesh chapter 1 . 7/15/2011
Very well written (saw it because of you A/N on "Horizons"), and will also agree with your beta- some sort of resolution would be nice.

And, since the armoured dragons are already arranged for, I won't worry myself ;).

Cheers, T.

- who doesn't necessarily mean a "Princess Bride" resolution...
DarkHairedDreamer chapter 1 . 6/30/2011
Very well written. I enjoyed it so much! I can't wait to read the sequel. :) You are a veeeerrryyy talanted writer and i enjoy your stories.
Primi-tan chapter 1 . 6/16/2011
You just write the best oneshots, you know?

I can't really find good words to describe how much I loved this, but I'll try anyways.

Excellent take on what might have happened after the movie. The characterization was spot on, and totally believable, which is very hard to find in fanfiction these days. Astrid's struggle with her own feelings, Hiccup's backbone, and the overall tone was awesome.

I still imagine vikings would live a battle life instead of a sudden peaceful one, granted there are other threats than constant dragon raids, like pirates, other viking tribes, and the occasional mythical creature. Even so, life would still be pretty quiet, and unnerving for those used to battle.

It's oneshots like these that do make me hesitant to dip my toe into writing something HTTYD myself, since Astrid's character is pretty hard to get down and I'm an advid Hicstrid shipper. Ah well.

Now onto the next oneshot!

Keep up the good work!

*Salutes*
Twin2 chapter 2 . 6/4/2011
Cool!...

Looking forward to the sequel!
Twin1 chapter 2 . 6/1/2011
Very good chapter, looking forward to the sequel :) I hope it will be posted soon! :D