Reviews for A Fission of Silence
AmunRa chapter 10 . 7/14/2013
I like Paul Davis... but in this story, even though the guy was doing his job, I disliked him a great deal.

I'm amazed that Daniel was able to do what he did in the conference room. Not only was the file a slap in the face, bringing everything he could, up to that point, dismiss (in an unhealthy way, of course) into sharp focus, but it also served to bring up several things that he hadn't yet been aware of. That part where he was rummaging his mind for the meaning of that word, and his reaction when he finally found it, was very sad. His own endless knowledge served to pound a nail in the coffin, so to speak.

I loved the conversation with Jack at the end. It was nice to see that they had an easier time being around each other and that Jack was able to provide some comfort and a shoulder to cry on. Daniel's conversation with his former self was also encouraging. The brain will hide things from us, but in time, and when we're ready, it'll tell us again. With time and help, Daniel should be able to return to life. He'll never be who he used to be; the trauma has made sure of that. But that doesn't mean that he can't rebuild another life for himself and be as successful in it as he was before.

I'll take that away from this story, and I love the way you left it: not resolved but with a bit of a bright spot. I do so want Daniel to have a happy ending, or as happy of an ending as he can get after this.

Thanks for sharing!
AmunRa chapter 9 . 7/14/2013
I love the way you've written General Hammond. He's such a kind and loving person in this story and I was glad to see that his loyalty and concern for Daniel was greater than his need to carry out his orders. It probably wasn't easy for him to do, but I'm glad he did it.

The scene with Daniel remembering his "split" was heart wrenching. Taking his ability to communicate away did indeed invalidate everything Daniel was, everything he'd ever been. It's no wonder that he was able to just surrender at that point. Daniel Jackson was hidden somewhere safe to hopefully return later, while the beast took his place. Our brains are great at hiding things from us for our own protection.
AmunRa chapter 8 . 7/9/2013
LOL at that last line... low serotonin is a bitch.

I'd forgotten about Dr. Sebastian's past. I'm glad that she was able to talk about her mother because it gave Daniel a little bit of strength so that he could talk about his own experience. His breakthrough about having hidden his voice is massive. I'm glad that he was not only able to get to that point but to share it with his doctor. I really like the character that you've created with her. She was off-putting at first but I've come to really like her.

Daniel's words to Jack sadden me, but I can understand why Sam would be a much safer choice than Jack. Still, I'm glad that Jack keeps trying and that he hasn't given up on his friends.

You always want stories like this to have a happy ending, but the truth is that life isn't always about happy endings. Sometimes the victory comes from choosing to wake up one more day and keep fighting.
AmunRa chapter 7 . 7/7/2013
Wow... just wow. You're doing a terrific job at dealing with Sam and Jack's anger, helplessness, and anger. They're intelligent, strong people who are used to getting things done, but in this case they can do nothing but sit by and provide comfort, support, and friendship. They're each dealing with it in their own separate ways, but in the end, they both come back to their friend.

I'm glad the sergeant talked to Sam and explained the physical aspects of what was going on. As a scientist, the facts should help Sam understand a little bit more of what's going on.
AmunRa chapter 6 . 7/7/2013
The mind may forget the trauma, but the body remembers... the body always remembers.

Daniel's conversation with Sam was heart wrenching, but I'm glad that he was able to tell her that much, at least. I can't imagine what, in the alien's minds, they thought gave them the right to treat Daniel in such a way. It's horrific, and it's more horrific to think that Daniel wants death over living with the aftermath. It's so very sad.

I was hoping that being able to voice some of what happened would help Daniel but, judging from Daniel's session with Dr. Sebastian, it probably didn't help a lot. The last few paragraphs were so very sad. I want to reach in and give Daniel a hug, but that probably would do more harm than good. His friends want to help him, he wants to help himself, but they're all prisoners to the memories and the past.
AmunRa chapter 5 . 7/7/2013
I hate to say that I'm glad that Daniel had a splitting episode in front of Jack, especially considering the dream Daniel had about Jack being his "master", but it at least drove the point home that Daniel isn't ok and he can't just get better by pretending to be better. I am very happy that, once Jack realized just how bad off Daniel was, that he agreed to get him the help he needs. Not everybody is ok with counseling and counselors, but they do help.

I like Dr. Sebastian. She doesn't put up with any crap, not even from one who can manipulate words to his advantage even in his weakened state. It's going to take a very strong person to get Daniel to open up about what happened, but I think that the fact that she's a woman will help.
AmunRa chapter 4 . 7/6/2013
I forgot to ask this in the last review: how long into his captivity did the beings take away Daniel's ability to speak?

I can't imagine a worst predicament for Daniel to find himself in: mute and unable to understand his captors. How could be possibly submit to what they wanted of him, save himself some pain, when he couldn't understand what they wanted from him? It's human nature to avoid pain at any cost, but what if you can't? No wonder he wanted to take his own life. Both dead and alive indeed.

While I'm glad that Jack and Daniel had that talk, I don't like Daniel's line of thinking. Following Jack, doing what Jack says, is almost another form of servitude. I can see why he would do it, though: these orders he can understand and follow. If it'll save him some pain and torture, why not? I hope Jack sees what's going on pretty soon.

I LOVED the scene with Hammond. He's such a good man and, even when he can't possibly understand what's going on with Daniel, he still sticks around and provides comfort with no judgement or condemnation. I love that man.
AmunRa chapter 3 . 7/6/2013
Daniel's memory of when his words were taken away from him, and the bargain he made for safety, even if it was only in his own mind, was heartbreaking. I actually teared up a bit when I read that part.

I'm glad that Teal'c went to talk to Jack. Hopefully his strong presence and honest words will knock some sense into him. I loved that Teal'c told Jack that his hurt and pride were petty when compared to Daniel's pain and suffering.

Daniel's forays into his life as "the beast" are truly disturbing. However, they are very true to form for when someone is recovering from a traumatic experience. It's hard to separate reality from memory in those early days... it may never completely become separate. All you can do is try and try again.

I'm loving Sam's determination and friendship in this. I think that it is helping Daniel.
AmunRa chapter 2 . 7/6/2013
"up and down and up and circle, circle, circle"

This is how I remembered this story. The part where Janet realizes that Daniel is spelling "nooo" really made an impression on me because it was as much as a surprise to me as it was to Janet. It's horrible to think that someone like Daniel, who lives and breathes by words, was reduced to spelling.

Jack is still being a pain. Makes me want to reach into the story and shake some sense into him. Hopefully someone will soon.
AmunRa chapter 1 . 7/5/2013
I read this way back when you originally posed it. I don't remember if I reviewed then, so I'm going to review now. Besides, the fact that this story only has 5 reviews is ridiculous.

I read the original and, even all of these years later, I still think about it every now and again. I have to admit that it was hard to read, but, at the same time, it was an excellent study of the inhumanities that can be done to a person and the will power and determination it takes to piece a life back together and keep on living. What happens to Daniel affects everyone that cares for him as well, and this story does an excellent job of dealing with everyone's journey.

I don't remember all of the details of the story, which is why I'm rereading it. I didn't remember how much of an ass Jack was being. Even though I can see where he's coming from, I think it's very unfair that he blames Daniel for what happened.
Kalinysta chapter 1 . 12/7/2011
I realize that a lot of people really can't handle horror, which is what this story is about, but I have to tell you that I think you captured what real life combat-related illnesses are all about. The story is actually quite magnificent. I read it through almost all at once and was literally clenching the desk so hard my hands were hurting me. A friend dropped by; I wasn't aware of him standing there and he had this really weird look on his face because *I* had such a horrific look on my face - that's how much this story affected me. This is good. This is what a good writer does - gets into the reader's emotions and pulls them out and makes the reader FEEL what the characters are feeling.

Secondly, I'd like to thank you for your attention to grammar and punctuation. Although there are a lot of really good plot ideas out there, it seems like people are in such a hurry to post it that they don't pay attention to grammar or punctuation and the story because literally unreadable. So your attention to that type of detail is very much appreciated.

I don't know why you haven't written any more stories, but I encourage you to do so because you're a fantastic writer, and your ideas are excellent. Don't STOP!
Raine24 chapter 10 . 6/2/2011
After I read about two chapters of this story I remembered that I had read it before but even the second time around it was just so hard to 'put down' Very hard to read at times but worth every word. Total awesomeness!
Gingi chapter 10 . 5/17/2011
Fantastic story - I just which the bad guys got some pay back - or at least some sense. Weird that such an intelligent species didn't figure out that Daniel was intelligent - or perhaps they did and simply consider all non telepathic species as inferior and exploitable. Wonder if they knew exactly how intelligent Daniel was?
cc chapter 1 . 5/15/2011
awesome story - hope you post a lot LOT more as Stargate seems to be a dying interest for most - sadly
fantasdancer chapter 1 . 5/12/2011
I remember this one. I remember that it was a harrowing read and that it might have contained a rape scene - which I skipped btw. This version is vastly - and i do mean vastly better but still harrowing to read. I hate politics getting in the way, but worse still I hate that the aliens never got any payback - or at least learned what their savagery and lack of compassion for other creatures meant. It would have been good to have that - just so that Daniel could sleep at night knowing that some other 'beast' wasn't gonna get tortured the way he was.

Well done - but I feel a bit sick now.