Reviews for Hungary's Guide to Successful Original Characters
Countenance chapter 4 . 7/17/2014
Brilliant story! Update soon please.
Guest chapter 2 . 3/16/2014
This should be a real class at college or high school or something. I'd love to take this class.
Jennifer chapter 1 . 12/7/2013
Thanks!, this helped me a TON!
i'masian-aru chapter 4 . 4/29/2013
Update please? This guide has been really helpfull, and I would like to read more.
Mihang chapter 4 . 4/20/2013
Wow. Cutting Suethors down to size is a hefty task. I commend you for it! Haha, I'll definitely use this for reference myself, too. Thanks for keeping it informative *and* humourous, but maybe ease up on the profanity if you don't mind. Otherwise, great job! :)
SoGroundedNow chapter 4 . 3/19/2013

Love this! So funny!

I know it's been a while but if you could please update? Your information is incredibly hilarious and useful. :)
Libro Insania chapter 2 . 10/12/2012
First chapter was very informative. This chapter was very helpful.

I suggest editing the name section. Massive hyphenation and extreme mispellings are legitimate concerns but that's it.

There are plenty of real-life girls named Jade and Raven, so why should a character named Jade or Raven automatically be a resident of Sueville and therefore have to work harder to be "realistic"?

America is a melting pot. I know a half Italian/half Japanese kid who has a very unusual name that sounds Japanese and Italian. She's not a Mary-Sue. I met hard-core anime fans in college who changed their names to Japanese versions of their American names. They aren't Mary-Sues.

There are plenty of names that are hard to spell and pronounce. Having to spell your name and correct people is a perfectly reasonable pet peeve. Same thing for a name that is unusual for the OC's gender. I'm a woman and my name is androgynous in the baby name books but most people think it's a male name. My mail is frequently addressed as "Mr." and callers frequently ask for "Mr." instead of "Miss." I learned how to politely correct people at a very early age. That's a good trait and one that makes a character interesting.

The vast majority of the time, a name is just a name. There is nothing wrong with normal names but unusual names do not equal Mary-Sue.
The Half-Blood Princesss chapter 4 . 8/29/2012
Love the random mention of Reid(:
s class wizard chapter 4 . 8/14/2012
This is awesome! Please update this soon! :D
Seqka711 chapter 4 . 7/20/2012
This is such a fun story to read! It's like "Wow, I know all this, but it's so awesome to hear someone else acknowledge these simple writing rules, and even better that it's being told like the person is Hungary!"
Too bad you haven't updated it in a year, but whatever.
Keri Kimura chapter 1 . 5/21/2012
This was very helpful! I wouldn't have thought of a lot of these things... thanks (I probably won't be creating any characters anytime soon, but this helped me potray already-made dudes well).
SoSymmetrical chapter 1 . 3/19/2012
Love this
2olluxampora chapter 4 . 3/6/2012
Please update!
Agnus Castus chapter 4 . 2/11/2012
We're getting into the nitty-gritty of writing a story now, and your advice is just as applicable to writing canon-character fanfiction.

The part about dialogue is essential - words that come out of your OC's mouth can tell the reader so much about them. The same holds true to canon characters - it's well worth taking note of how a canon character speaks and then replicating that style in your dialogue.

I hope you'll continue with this interesting and humorous guide to original characters. I've very much enjoyed reading your advice, and I've recommended your article to my fellow OC fanfic authors :)
Agnus Castus chapter 3 . 2/11/2012
I found this chapter much less accessible than the first two chapters. Too many tangents to which I couldn't relate.

However, I agree that love matches need to be properly thought out (I personally find matching starsigns or personality types can assist with this) and that the canon characters need to stay in-character (rather than be changed by the will of the author). Canon characters should be allowed to undergo an amount character development as a consequence of the story, but not so much that the reader suspects they've had a personality bypass!

Onward to your final instalment!
48 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »