Reviews for Among the Mushrooms: The Madness of Jack
Animerai chapter 22 . 3/15/2015
Hi, I know I'm just a reader on a fanfiction but I honestly loved your story. That being said I agree with you on your points. Yes you could of developed some of the more main characters more and used fewer OC but to me that's what made the story great. I feel that fanfiction is a good way to determine what we as authors like and don't like about our own writing style. You write and you make mistakes and you learn. But I feel that you shouldn't leave things unfinished. The people who were happily waiting for another chapter of your story didn't have problems with your writing and we're content and eager to see what you would write next. For me personally I had searched harvest moon fanfiction for a long time and had constantly seen this one pop up on my searches but never clicked it since it didn't sound like my type of story. But reading it and seeing your writing style was good inspiration for me. I can tell that as the story moved on you did develop other characters more and the OC characters stopped being just OC characters. They started to really feel like integral parts of your story. I think you owe it yourself and dedicated readers to finish this. Because if you can finish this despite your misgivings about you'll have accomplished something really amazing finishing something you started. Your a lot better than me. I get scared at the idea of how deep and intensive good writing could be and I stop before I even get started even though I have so many ideas in my head. But you kept going with your story regardless and I think you should finish it because of that.
Nigthmare Shadow chapter 22 . 2/2/2014
bueno...Es una lastima que ya no vayas continuarla pero de cualquier manera me gusto y que mas puedo decir... suerte con tus otros proyectos
SamJaz chapter 22 . 1/31/2013
Fair enough, gotta say though, I enjoyed it. Work was pretty gripping, even if it was flawed.
Author is the biggest critic, but writing merely for others won't produce any more of the calibre I've been enjoying from this.

Thanks for your effort, I really really enjoyed this.

Cheers mate.
Iseki chapter 1 . 10/4/2012
I was wondering what crawled up Jack’s butt.

To be honest, the whole setting was certainly more desperate that the usual intro to a Harvest Moon fic. That goes without saying really as the summary did a good job of starting us off, but there was definitely something else looming over him, lingering in what should be routine by now while the rest of his happy village ticked along as normal. The reveal with Cliff in the diner was understated and gentle thusly. A delicate nod to Jack’s otherwise placid and friendly disposition as well as a nice obvious reason we can relate to- excluding the nuclear holocaust of course.

The last scene made great promises and I’m looking forward to delving further into the mind of this once-farmer and learning about the wall.

Your style is very direct. While I’ve found this annoying in published authors on occasion it was exactly the opposite here. It really offers something to the perspective of Jack. No nonsense and the subtraction of any irrelevant fluffing is definitely in favour for a fic such as this. It’s a massive undertaking and I LOVE IT. Somehow I’m now wondering why I haven’t seen more post-apocalyptic HM fanfiction since it makes so much SENSE.

Harvest Moon deserves more grit and I believe you’re just the one to provide it.

I am sadly not a nuclear physicist nor anything close to one so I’m going to applaud you for any and all of your inferences to atomic sciences. I’m sure you’ll do well to keep up with accuracies and I can imagine the effort of researching that might be necessary to make it so.

Keep up the good work! By the amount of chapters I have to catch up on I'm assuming you have!
Mike chapter 22 . 9/5/2012
It was great while it was alive. If you can finish it in some way, that would be awesome, but I understand where you're coming from. Thanks for the effort you gave.
The Rune Reverend chapter 22 . 9/1/2012
My feels

I am very sad to hear you do this, although I have come across a similar situation many times in my own writing. Although I never sa most of your characters as underdeveloped, I simply never sa them as important to the main plot of Jack's madness and his continuing with relationship with Elli. You managed in many instances to write a compelling plot using political intruigue and characters orth knowing and feeling for an you did it easily leaps and bounds over a lot of writershere-myself included, I feel.

Sorry to hear this. I look forward to your future works and feel glad to have read this story while I had the chance.
NicKenny chapter 22 . 9/1/2012
I'm sorry to hear your not going to be writing any more of this story. I found it really enjoyable, despite not actually having any knowledge of Harvest Moon. Just please, keep up with Cody Storm. I've just lost two great fanfics in the last two days. :(
raining in august chapter 22 . 8/31/2012
Naturally, I'm sad that this is being discontinued, but good on you for really evaluating your work and making a sensible decision.
Well done, though, on what you've written thus far. You're quite right about a lot of your characters being somewhat underdeveloped, and about the amount of OCs (although I didn't really realise it before), but you've still done a great job with your writing. This story is something of a revolutionary one in the HM fandom, in terms of plot, themes &c, and I look forward to reading any other HM stories you put up in the future. (:
Good luck!
Nox Ortus chapter 22 . 8/31/2012
I can't say I'm happy with this ending but you did what you felt was right. I really enjoyed it, but at the same time every point you made was valid.

I thank you for the wonderful time I had reading what you posted and wish you luck in your future projects.
kissmess chapter 21 . 8/30/2012
The suspense is building, and I love it. I'm so happy I stumbled across this!

I can not wait to see where this goes, and It's
so refreshing to see a story with Elli in it. She was always my favorite bachelorette and I never feel like she gets enough attention.

I'm already craving to read the next chapter, hope you update soon! :)
OhhhMyCrowley chapter 21 . 6/10/2012
Excellent story. The way you've written Jack is completely unique to anything I've ever read. I also really enjoy what you've done with Elli, it's absolutely brilliant.

I hope you you will continue writing this masterpiece.
Accidentally The Whole Fanfic chapter 13 . 5/17/2012
"Who do I have to prove myself to anyway?"

Words to live by, and I'm kind of glad I came back now, so the suspense will only kill me for a few seconds, as opposed to however long it originally was between this chapter's posting and the next.

Nice to see Elli's comfort levels rising, but not unrealistically so. As for the influx of fanfics... I'm weary of reading any Vaughn/Chelsea (and though I personally adore Luke and Chase, it's rare if I want to read anything about them, either). I don't know if I should be relieved that Skye has died down in his place, though. Compared to Skye's design and personality, Vaughn's not that bad.
Accidentally The Whole Fanfic chapter 12 . 5/17/2012
I'm strongly reminded of similar scenes from Final Fantasy VI and VII (moreso VI). Gotta wonder how many people before Phil did the same thing from that same hill. Hopefully Jack doesn't follow suit... or push anyone off. That voice doesn't have the best judgement or anything.

Since this chapter went up a while back, everyone else has already answered the Vaughn thing, but it's STILL fairly ridiculous. I guess male tsunderes are a HUGE thing. On the other hand, I wound up making a beeline for Chase the first time I played ToT, so I don't have much room to talk.
Accidentally The Whole Fanfic chapter 11 . 5/17/2012
I had a feeling that was it. It made the reveals no less tense and the romance no less tender, though.

Although it does make me now feel awkward for laughing at Jack crying "rape" at the hot springs.

And with the voice being what it is, suddenly this new turn in the relationship is being cast into a very uneasy light. Not to mention Jack's assurance of his control. Oh, boy.
Accidentally The Whole Fanfic chapter 10 . 5/16/2012
Good god, I fell away from this for a long time. Thank god I work much closer to home now... more time to catch up on my reading. So, since I apparently left off before this chapter... I come back to romantic suspense. Very good, very good! I need to re-read the earlier chapters to refresh my memory of when this Fernando douche got introduced, because I was kind of hoping he'd wind up getting knocked into the radiated ocean.

Also, Trent and Mary! So I'm not the only one who's testing those waters!

Well, onward.