Reviews for Gundam Wing: Journey to a New Battlefield
James D. Fawkes chapter 32 . 7/15
So, I loved this story. I've been reading it since basically its infancy and only now decided to comment, but I really did enjoy it quite a bit.

The beginning is a little bit weak, a little bit contrived, but once you get passed that, it picks up fairly quickly. To be fair, crossing these series the way you did doesn't really leave much room for figuring out how you're going to slot them together without making them occupy the same universe. It's a hazard of crossovers - less smooth, particularly since neither series' canon has a vehicle for interversal travel - but there's not much you can do about it.

The rest of it is very strong, though. Good dialogue, good descriptions, good pacing, and good lord, the size of the chapters! I'm actually kind of jealous. :) On the other hand, the dialogue does get a bit long-winded, at times, but it doesn't much detract from the overall quality.

And the characters, the expansion of the universe! SEED isn't bad on its own (although I've heard that SEED Destiny is terrible, mostly because of Shinn Asuka), but you've added so much in the cracks of canon that it really is amazing. I loved Shemei and her girls, the other additions you made and pieces you slotted into place that seemed tailor made to fit. Just...the amount of worldbuilding you did was something that all authors should aspire to.

The only thing I really have trouble with is the romance. Firstly, it kind of invades the story. You shoehorn it into chapters a bit too often, which may be a consequence of their size rather than any inherent flaw in your writing. Cutting the chapters into thirds might reduce the problem. Secondly, and more importantly to me...I ship the canon romance: Heero and Relena. And it is canon (dunno if you've heard of "Frozen Teardrop"...? I have yet to read it, myself).

That's my problem, though. It's less of a problem if I skip passed the romance scenes, but there is something lost by doing so.
TrenchcoatMan chapter 32 . 6/18
Well.. that certainly took me a while to read. I think this has been the longest fanfic, word-count wise that i've ever read.

I wish I would have picked this up when you were still working on it so I could've been there with you during it's creation. It's certainly an amazing epic and Im eager to read the next story.

I originally avoided it due to being a Heero centric fic, i'm more of a Quatre fan, not that I don't love Heero, but when I saw the premise for Destiny's call I was Like 'well, gotta read part 1 first.' And I don't regret it at all. It was fantastic.

I think my only fear in the next story is that you wont be going with my favorite couple, since romance seems to be a fairly big part of this series, I can certainly see you pairing up some of the others in Destiny's call, I suppose ill have to find out with finger's crossed.

It really has been Amazing, Thank you for writing it and I can't wait for more.
-TCM
Tedditron chapter 14 . 2/17
So I'm re-reading through this and I was wondering, the Aqua Darts are of your own design, Correct?
Neema Amiry chapter 23 . 1/31
damn
spiritwolf35 chapter 1 . 12/8/2015
I guess I can check this story out
GlaringEyes chapter 32 . 11/29/2015
First of all, let me congratulate you for this wonderful work! It's been a while since a fic has caught my eye like this. I mean it: it took me over a month to read this one-million-words story, but it was worth every minute of it.

I admit I was a bit wary at the beginning, mostly due to the main pairing, Heero and Murrue. By playing them together, you'd be altering the canon significantly, something I've always been standoffish about. That and I had a bit of difficulty picturing a more sensitive Heero (heck, it was hard even picturing him smiling), which made him seem a bit OOC in some parts. But as the reading progressed, I realized it wasn't much of a issue and the the plot has turned even more interesting than the original (I admit that sometimes the GS plot was annoyingly predictable). You even balanced the scales masterly, by keeping most of the main pairings, hooking Mu up with Natarle (which wasn't hard to picture, since he did flirt with her a little before settling with Murrue in canon) and increasing the opponents numbers so the battles didn't feel one-sided.

What amazed me the most in your story was the level of detailing: you never rushed things up, every situation was thoroughly explained and every relevant character was fleshed out greatly. Of course, sometimes it felt a bit draggy, but it was necessary for character and background development. I know many readers like the action scenes, but my favorite are actually the dialogue scenes, especially the ones envolving political settings and bomb-dropping revelations. Never give up on these, always take your time on these.

There's a lot more that I've wanted to comment, praise and criticize in each chapter, but it'd take too long, so I hope this long review makes up for it. Sorry.

Moving on to the sequel. As great as this story was, I kind of missed the GW characters, so I'm so eager to see the other four Gundam pilots being integrated into the story.
Finnzo chapter 9 . 10/22/2015
One small piece of criticism on this chapter, when you had La Flaga say "Fox One, Fox Two" you got it a little wrong, as they don't refer to the number of missiles fired, but the type of missiles fired.
Fox One - Indicates launch of a semi-active radar-guided missile (such as the AIM-7 Sparrow).
Fox Two - Indicates launch of an infrared-guided missile (such as the AIM-9 Sidewinder).
Fox Three - Indicates launch of an active radar-guided missile (such as the AIM-120 AMRAAM and AIM-54 Phoenix).
Fox Four - Historical term indicating air-to-air or air-to-surface cannon fire. The term in current usage is Guns, Guns, Guns.
Rakaan chapter 32 . 10/9/2015
Yep, just as satisfying to read now as it was when it came out.
Rakaan chapter 27 . 10/9/2015
Re-reading this, and noting Heero's suspicions about the Seirans, unproven though they may be, makes me wonder if they're under surveillance in the sequel.
Rakaan chapter 19 . 10/4/2015
You know, re-reading this and the comment about how the ZAFT defense grid being beefed up from the near back-to-back thefts of the Freedom and the Eternal, made me think about how screwed security must have been back at the Plants. I wonder how many lost their jobs? Can you imagine how it felt to the leaders?

"Muwahaha, our state-of-the-art mobile suit Freedom is almost ready for deploym- Stolen? Wha- FUCK!"

(some time later)

"The Justice has been launched to go destroy the Freedom (god damn Clyne!), and soon everything will be oka- What? He defected?...FUCK!"

(more time later)

"Well at least we still have the Etern- Wha- How- FUCK!"
Rakaan chapter 7 . 9/30/2015
Been re-reading this story, and it's still as epic as I remembered!
Lerris chapter 16 . 9/22/2015
One thing I've begin to really notice is one of tone. You constantly refer to Heero as the perfect soldier and other variants. Heck you even went out of your way to have Heero board Freedom and handle it perfectly in apparently seconds, apparently to underline the fact that Heero was really special and even more special than the guy genetically engineered by the top coordinator geneticists... Sure Kira has less actual training, but it seems you are going out of your way to minimize his contributions. For that matter you similarly have to go on an on about how really cool wing zero is, and that no one can touch it or its technology but Heero. The zero system is basically a bit too much of a deux ex machina, but even so, there is nothing in it that says that Kira couldn't master it, particularly if they duplicated it in a controlled simulation environment. More importantly, the obvious question of whether or not they could combine gundanium armour with phase shift technology. Like it or not, they may need that kind of edge to survive.

My recommendation is to revise your story and back off on the glowing portrayal of Heero. Sure he is an excellent soldier, but he is still human. Also, just to make things a tad more feasible, I'd seriously recommend making Heero older. Also, I seriously recommend not following canon so closely. Just write out things while considering how your changes change things. Mostly here Kira and the others stick to the script, while Heero handles the new original characters...
Lerris chapter 12 . 9/21/2015
I've been reading this with some mild skimming. The biggest thing that stands out is that you are following canon save changes to the bad guys side to even things out. Basically every time they sortie, there are more or better enemies so as Heero has something to do. Of course you have made enough changes that it is going to become more difficult to do this in the coming chapters... The biggest disappointment I suppose so far is that Flay acting almost exactly like canon, even after being confronted by Heero. Just as in canon, she waited till it was possibly too late to have her revelation... To the plus you have added background to the Coordinator side, which is never a bad thing, though the shape of things seems similar...
7 chapter 32 . 7/11/2015
The end
7 chapter 31 . 7/11/2015
The stage is set for destiny