Reviews for The third astronaut
nadillaandlaprasthefireandice chapter 4 . 5/25
Please continue! I like this story so far! :)
Sid chapter 4 . 1/3
Please UPDATEEE its too good to be true D:
Lady Ravanna chapter 4 . 5/30/2014
THIS STORY IS AMAZING! Please continue!
sm4567 chapter 4 . 11/8/2013
Haven't read the original novel, but 3001, he final odyssey was translated in Greek, so there's still hope tha I can obtain a copy of the fist book. If I can't find a copy of it translated in Greek, well, I may read the original English text after all. Don't worry, I don't have problem with reading/speaking English material.
By the way, I eally like the name ''Valerie'' a lot and I often thought about using in a character in a project I have been working on for a long period of time; well, for the past eight, nine years, to be exact.
I am a student of English Language and English Linguistics, but I am fortunate to be taking a few courses in directing/screenwriting for Film & TV at he same time as the other. No eal easy, but I like both things and I hope I can achieve something in both areas.
Anyway, I am sorry I haven't been able to leave my thoughts on this fic all this time, but I was finally able to do so today.
Take care. I will wait for the next update whenever that may be.
sm4567 chapter 3 . 11/8/2013
Another geat chapter, and yeah, I agree on the Frank/Valerie pairing. No offense, but I can't seem to imagine Dave Bowman going with another girl, especially watching how reassured and glad he was to see his former girlfriend, Betty, in that scene in 2010 movie. I may conside doing a fic about the impliations of the Monolith on Dave's psyche and what might have happened to him during the hotel sequence that closed the original 2001 film. Not that it deserves a fic, but if I find something to rationalize what might have happened to him then I may consider doing it for real.
Anyway, a good adition to this story, and apart from very sip-ups with the grammar/vocabulary, it is still a very good story, overall. Keep it going.
sm4567 chapter 2 . 11/8/2013
I forgot to mention the fact that ou paid tribute to Arthur Clarke, the author himself, and who I hope we get to see the two last parts of the Space Odyssey quadrilogy transfeed to the screen. I heard Tom Hanks was meant to produce these movies, but nothing really resurfaced up to that point.
I only hope that they eventually get made, even if they can't be compared to Kubrick's original vision.
There are no words to describe the effot you pull into this, and it's a shame there are not enough stories on this movie fandom. I mean, there are a dozen for Clockwork Orange, but niot enough love for 2001.
By the way, could you tell whose he name of the girl who stands in for Valerie in the picture of the cover, between Dave and Frank?
sm4567 chapter 1 . 11/8/2013
I loved your decision to include a third astronaut in the crew of Discovery One. And I have only been recently became enamored with Kubrick's movie, and I wish there were stories like this one, or other simmilar to this. Your writing is so good and I can't wait for the nex updte, given that you haven't given on this story.
I hope you are not.
Randall Boggs chapter 4 . 7/24/2013
Love it!
AnimeGirl1220 chapter 4 . 5/11/2013
I know it's been just under two years since this was last updated, but I'm going to ask anyway. PLEASE update this story! I love it, love it, love it! And I really love the HAL/Valerie going on here :3 Please update soon! I will love you FOREVER if you do! :)
AthdaraSeleya chapter 1 . 4/11/2013
I really enjoyed reading those first chapters of your 2001 fanfic and really loved them! I'm glad that you've written a good story for this fandom that hasn't been written much fanfiction about...
But why did you stop writing? I'd really like to see how this thing between Valerie and HAL works out.
Please, id it's possible, go on writing.
Angel Rarity chapter 4 . 3/11/2013
Why did you stop updating? I love this story so far! I have been looking for this kind of story for a while and I really want you to finish it. Oh by the way, in the 2010 story HAL 9000 actually lives. Read this: The creation of the new star, which Earth eventually names Lucifer, destroys Discovery. However, in appreciation for HAL's help, Bowman has the aliens which control the monoliths remove HAL's artificial intelligence from Discovery's computer core and transform him into the same kind of life form as David Bowman, and becomes his companion.

Cool huh?
ObsessedRomantic chapter 4 . 1/2/2012
In this chapter you have Valeri mentally chiding HAL for "Stating the obvious". given HAL's essential funtion, he is supposed to tell the crew accurate and complete information at all times. He tolf them that as opposed to telling them that the AE-35 unit would funtion intermittently or fluctuate in power level. HAL's essential function of conveying accurate and complete information at all times is the seed of his troubles. The boys at NASA and the National Security Agency told HAL to conceal the knowlege of the Monoliths and their probable origin from Bowman Poole and Clark, this fatal contradiction is why hall kills or tries to kill the crew. He did not go crazy, he was just trying to resolve that fatal contradiction in his directives.
ObsessedRomantic chapter 3 . 1/2/2012
Again, not bad, but it feels like the fic is creeping dangerously toward Mary Sue territory.
ObsessedRomantic chapter 2 . 1/2/2012
Another good chapter, nice handling of the crew dynamic. but I thought Frank was being a bit to familiar with Val given their proffesional relasionship, also as I review my copy of 2001:ASO the TV units were or appeared to be seperate handheld units, much like the large face multi app computer pads we have today.
ObsessedRomantic chapter 1 . 1/2/2012
Looks good so far, a three person crew remaining awake actually sounds more believable from a contingency planning standpoint, as does a female crewmember on the crew to maintain a more stable personelle dynamic. Valerie CLark sounds good so far, BTW giving your OC the surname of the author of the book is a ice touch. My only quibble is that I thought discovery one was built in space and launched from and orbital platform, so so elaborate liftoff procedure would be neccesary. It would just be a matter of dissengaging from the parent station and proceeding on trajectory. Besides, I don't see a craft with the design of the Discovery one doing a tail down terrestial launch without snapping into several messy pieces due to gravitic stresses.