Reviews for My Little Western
david lain bryant ogle chapter 9 . 6/25/2012
Dear author your story was fun and action it so good writeing and i beleve you do a new to

see what happins next to trixie when after she giving a full time deputy by Sheriff Silverstar in

appleloosa and things are going to be more wilder in equestria's fronter.
R.T.Stephens chapter 9 . 10/24/2011
Hurray for a heroic Trixie story! And it even avoids pairings! Not that I have anything against that, just that shipping is a very popular thing with this fandom.

Trixie's character is someone that I've really warmed up to once I started going through all the fics that FiM has produced. At first I dismissed her as a one-shot, throw away character that had served her purpose in her episode. However, seeing all the creative ways that she can be portrayed produced by the fan following, I'm really hoping that we'll get to see her again some time down the line. She's got great potential, as shown in this story, to go either the antagonist or protagonist route given the right circumstances. I'm glad she went the hero way, as it offers much more depth to her character development. I'm also glad to see that she was forced to rely on her other qualities to get by as her magic wasn't going to get her through all the ordeals she came across.

Good action scenes too. Nice to see others jumping in and helping you along to get them written. It was certainly exciting to read!

The other characters had their time to shine too. Nice way to get them roped in without it feeling forced.

All in all, glad I took the time to read through this. Here's to having as much success with your other works! See ya!
Little Jackie Papercut chapter 9 . 9/2/2011
This was excellent. As a Trixie fan, I was probably inclined to like it from the beginning, but as its own story, it held up unbelievably well. I honestly didn't expect Trixie to escape that last battle without losing her horn altogether, which added quite a lot to the suspense.

As for that battle, it seems like Little Strongheart got completely overshadowed; she accomplished the least, landing only two hits, one of which was while her target was held down, and had the most straightforward situation, by a wide margin. I suppose she did have her moment during the previous encounter with Douglas, but it seems like pale consolation. Other than that, everyone was pretty much awesome.
Swashbucklist chapter 9 . 9/1/2011
No, thank YOU for writing it. I don't know how many Western-themed MLP fanfics are out there, but even without knowing I can definitely say this is one of the best. You handled Trixie's character extremely well, staying true to her personality while developing her in a believable way so that by the end, she's a hero who hasn't entirely changed her attitude. Both the canon characters and your OC's got equal treatment, which did nothing other than strengthen the story. And everything wrapped up in a nice satisfying conclusion. Firecracker and Douglas won't just be imprisoned, but will get help in attempting to scrape their lives back together. I especially liked the mane cast's reactions to everything that went down in Appaloosa.

I enjoyed every word, and am now satisfied but disappointed that it's over. If you ever write a sequel, I'll be right on top of it.
HolyDemonSnappendragon chapter 7 . 8/2/2011
Excellent chapter. Was really hard to read through because I pretty much knew something bad was going to happen. I feel so bad for poor Firecracker.

*Sigh and shrugs.* I hope for a happy ending, but we'll see what happens.
Specter Von Baren chapter 7 . 8/2/2011
I must admit that the flashback to Douglas and Firecracker talking about his cutie mark was quite touching.

Swashbucklist chapter 6 . 7/22/2011
This is great so far. The villains are all well fleshed-out, everyone else is perfectly characterized, and the story is holding my interest. I loved the image of Trixie running out to meet the cyclones. Don't leave this on hold for too long!
Specter Von Baren chapter 6 . 7/22/2011
Aw... It's over already... and it's been a month since you last updated too. *sigh* I hope you haven't given up on this story, if you haven't then I look forward to the next chapter. I have to say that your attention to minor details is very good and you do an excellent job of making this seem like it's a real episode of the show, so many of the things you put in seem like things that would actually happen, from the serious to the humorous, it all fits so well. Anyway, until next time.

Specter Von Baren chapter 2 . 7/22/2011
Wow, it's just like a real episode. Bravo good sir!

HolyDemonSnappendragon chapter 6 . 6/25/2011
OHMYGOSH SO GOOD SO GOOD SOGOODSOGOOD.

I'm lovin' it. Please do more. Pleeeeeeeeeeeease. Sorry I don't really have an in depth review. *Shrugs.* BUT I WANT MOOOOOOOOOORE.
HolyDemonSnappendragon chapter 5 . 5/31/2011
Another great chapter! Thanks so much. I'm getting really pumped, I sure hope things turn out alright! Looking forward to the next chapter so badly, I can't wait to see what happens next, you got me hooked for sure.
HolyDemonSnappendragon chapter 4 . 5/29/2011
This was a great chapter, very well-written. Looking deeply forward to what happens next. I don't see how Trixie's going to be of much help in this situation. :T This is going from bad to worse! D:
Cap'n Chryssalid chapter 3 . 5/28/2011
I didn't expect to be checking out a relatively Trixie-centric fic like this, but it has proven rather interesting despite my reservations. I'm tagging this for an alert as a result. It should be amusing to see how you handle Trixie's recovery minus the ability to toss around her magic so freely.
HeatWave chapter 3 . 5/25/2011
The first showdown never goes well for the hero. It can't. The villain must have an establishing character moment and prove himself superior to the hero all at the same time, and since most westerns didn't have a 'Worf' character with which to do that (at best they had a peppy sidekick who couldn't put up much of fight to begin with. Also, see: Woft Effect) they had to humiliate the main character.

So, you've really got that Western theme down. Do you watch many? My granddad watched 'em all the time. My favorite is Silverado, though it was made later than most conventional westerns.

Anyway, here is where we begin to see Trixie's character come into focus. Throughout this fight she is at a disadvantage because: 's the defender in a magic duel. is fighting to subdue, not to kill. Just to show us that she's not some heartless wench, and she can hold her own.

The Coyote Colt is bogged down by neither of these two issues, and he takes advantage of them. "She's just trying to catch me? Go for the throat. She can't win if she's defending all the time."

You have a good sense of back-and-forth, keeping the fight interesting without giving any of the characters a clear advantage. Trixie doesn't embarrassingly lose this first duel and have to rely on some contrived explanation for why The Coyote Colt doesn't get away with the gold, but it can hardly be considered a win either. In the end she [temporarily] loses her ability to use magic, or at least at a greatly reduced ability. Whatever will she do without her magic! What's she going to do the next time The Coyote Colt comes to town?

The villagers are useless. Their idea of ammunition is an apple pie.

I still hate seeing Braeburn being picked on like that. He just looked like such a nice pony.

So, here comes my favorite part of your stories: the character development! Let's see it! Yay!
Robotech-Master chapter 3 . 5/23/2011
This is a great story so far. You have a real knack for taking minor and original characters and making them memorable and three-dimensional, as well as consistent with their previous appearances. And you delve into implications of things that sometimes aren't questioned as deeply as they should be.

From her presentation in the TV show, I can't help but think the "mane six" were a little unnecessarily harsh on Trixie. Sure she brags and she can't back up her biggest story, but she does have decent enough ability to run rings around anyone ibut/i Twilight Sparkle. If it hadn't been for those unic(m)or(o)ns going and rustling up the real thing, she could have done her thing and been on her way. Traveling carnies are isupposed/i to be boastful, that's their schtick.

And you bring out her characteristics quite well here. She's still egotistical, but has learned at least some lessons from the Ponyville incident, and by the end of the chapter enough things have gone wrong that you get the readers firmly on her side. And then in chapter 2 you show that she is a bit naive and prone to be fooled, but, bragging aside, her heart is in the right place and she's good enough to collar the mooks and go toe to toe with the "named" villain. And in chapter 3 you write an awesome fight scene, as well as bring up some interesting questions: just who iis/i Coyote Kid, and how did he lose his cutie mark? And what is he planning?

You've locked and loaded a number of Chekov's guns, including the one about Celestia and Luna apparently coming to town for the summer sun celebration. Kid may be good, but good enough to take on a pair of thousand-year-old goddesses? What does he have in mind?

Is Trixie going to get the chance to heal? Is she going to have to sacrifice her horn to stand up to Coyote Kid (and perhaps get it restored by Celestia or Luna in recognition of her valor)? Will she and the "mane six" reconcile?

I'm going to have a lot of fun finding out. Write faster! :)