Reviews for The Story of Us
mille libri chapter 16 . 11/9/2012
I see what you mean about this chapter feeling more like the start of something new than the cap to Enos and Daisy's young love. I was sad to come to the end ... until I noticed that you have more! Will be heading over to check those out immediately. Your writing is clean and emotional, your research extremely impressive, and your handle on the characters makes them seem very real. Well done!
mille libri chapter 15 . 11/8/2012
Aw, sweet, conscientious, too-good-for-his-own-good Enos. Of course he did the right thing, and good for him. It made sense for him to have experienced other people's drunkenness in Atlanta, and to use that experience to keep Daisy's words in perspective.
mille libri chapter 14 . 11/2/2012
Uh-oh! I think Daisy trying out the party girl life makes a lot of sense, as does the fact that the men she lives with have no idea. I can't wait to find out what she did while she was drunk ... and from the build-up, the fact that she woke up the next morning not in the hospital was a big relief!
mille libri chapter 13 . 11/1/2012
So interesting to see Enos growing up - he gains and loses confidence at the same time but in different ways, which is hard to pull off, but necessary for the character to remain true to what he becomes, and you've done it really well here.
mille libri chapter 12 . 10/31/2012
It's so telling that Daisy doesn't think of herself as a woman, but she thinks of Enos as a man - it makes their situation even more believable, especially given that of course Enos knows nothing of what she's thinking. And you can see the show's Daisy in her last words - confident in her attractions, but shy about getting what she deserves.
mille libri chapter 11 . 10/14/2012
It is so difficult to pull off a love story where the two principals are kept apart by a misunderstanding, but here you have done it remarkably well. Their mutual shyness, their need of each other's friendship, the very depth of their feelings makes it seem natural that they would be so quick to think the worst of any future together, and both of them are tugging at my heartstrings.
mille libri chapter 10 . 10/14/2012
I love how you've made Amy come alive, from Enos's impression of her to Daisy's and now to her own perspective. And the level of detail in your writing, the callbacks to the show, is amazing.
mille libri chapter 9 . 10/1/2012
The two of them make me want to cry. You can see Daisy's innocence in all her behavior, and see the more brash overtly sexual woman she becomes in her reaction to Darcy's kiss. And Enos, covering his feelings because he thinks that's what's best for her ... doesn't know a thing about women, does he? Too bad Luke couldn't have taught him a few things!
mille libri chapter 8 . 9/30/2012
Aw, the poor things! This is a rare case in which I really believe this simple understanding could fester, driving a permanent wedge between the two of them. Enos is too closed-mouthed and too unsure of himself to believe more than what he's told, and Daisy too impatient and too unsure of herself in an entirely different way.
mille libri chapter 7 . 9/29/2012
Whoa! I didn't expect that. What a complicator ... just when Enos was getting his life together. I will be interested to see what you do with Enos and Daisy's feelings for each other, given the constraints of the show.
mille libri chapter 6 . 9/28/2012
This story never ceases to amaze me - the level of historical detail and the depth of the intertwined relationships between the characters are so rich and vivid. I loved the moment with Luke and the callback to all their races through Hazzard County, and your Uncle Jesse is absolutely spot on in dialogue and characterization.
mille libri chapter 5 . 9/16/2012
A truly transformative chapter - the degrees of grief and recovery Enos goes through are rendered realistically and only enhanced by the realistic details of life moving ahead that act as his catalysts.
mille libri chapter 4 . 9/3/2012
Your ear for dialogue is amazing - I can hear Denver Pyle and Sorrell Booke's voices in Uncle Jesse and J.D. Hogg. And Enos's reactions, the blankness and the anger and the inability to go on, feel spot on. (One minor proofreading nitpick: in the flashback sequence, you have "John said, ambivalently", but I'm wondering if you meant "malevolently" instead. His threat to Enos doesn't sound ambivalent to me.)
mille libri chapter 3 . 9/2/2012
A heart-wrenchng chapter already, even without knowing for certain the identity of the body. You describe the life so vividly and get to the heart of the trouble very clearly.
mille libri chapter 2 . 9/1/2012
Exciting adventure! You can see a younger Enos worrying on his own, not wanting to frighten Daisy, and Daisy trying to be just as tough as any of the boys. You have their characters down cold!