Reviews for Never Let This Pair of Hands Forget
a2zmom chapter 7 . 11/17/2011
I just spent all day reading this story and it was wonderful in every aspect. The voices of every character, the glimpses of Booth's and Brennan's pasts, the relationship between Booth and Brennan and the emotion rang completely true with never a false note.

I will be eagerly reading your earlier stories and happily looking forward to new ones.
Tamarakv chapter 7 . 11/17/2011
Everything about this final chapter was fantastic I loved it! Can't wait for more from you.
2mrklr chapter 7 . 11/17/2011
Fantastic story,deftly written with assurance and confidence. Reads so smoothly and I thought the characterizations were spot on. You handled the difficult subject matter so well! I loved this story.
lkol chapter 7 . 11/16/2011
Awwww! That was the cutest ending ever! :)
Some1tookmyname chapter 7 . 11/16/2011
Oh my.

This might just be the review where I say I'm speechless, that it's perfect in every way and that even if I COULD talk, there are no words to convey how lovely this is.

Nah. Where's the fun in that?

Let's start with the opener, which, after the first reading I almost couldn't read it again. It's so real and it hurts because children really do live like that and it kills me.

This in particular brought my mommy heart to the brink:

(She has the inkling that her boys are smarter than what makes sense when one considers their parents, and if Seeley is struggling in subjects that have never been difficult for him before, she can think of only one glaring explanation. And it hurts her heart.

So she tries extra hard. She tries to make up for her choices. She tries to love her boys fiercely enough for two parents. She tries to love them patiently and consistently and she has to believe that it will make a difference. She believes what all good parents would like to believe; her boys will be smart and loved and they will grow to do great things.)

I now love his mother and I don't even know her. She did the very best she could. And I am one of those who think she died and I cannot imagine leaving your children behind knowing what kind of life they would have...brutal.

Jared...a punk even as a child. And the writing out of the math problems and young Booth's solving of them? Freaking Brilliant. It just adds to the tension level of the house. Amazing.

"He couldn't change the facts, but he could continue to choose his family in all the ways that mattered. His brother would always be his brother, and they would never have the relationship they had shared as children again. His father would always be his father, and they would never have any relationship at all. He could continue to build a life with Bones. He could embrace her team of crack scientist coworkers (because they had long since come to mean as much to him as they did to her). He would begin to let his past go, let his anger go, and maybe then he could (figuratively) conquer biology." You know I adore any inclusion of the squints in Booth's world of important people and that holds here, too. It's sad he's had to write off his own brother to some extent and his father as best he can, but yes, the people he surrounds himself with; his partner, his children and even the squints are so much more than DNA.

This made me sad: "Even the worst parents could sometimes be teachers." Because think of what kind of dad he could have had if the older Booth would just have been able to get it together. The potential so obviously there, but so obviously squandered.

"You realise how ridiculous that sounds, right? I mean, you have to." Booth's hand found the poker chip again. "If you've got regrets, they're yours to live with. You don't get to drag me into that mess just because a couple decades passed and you decided to develop a conscience."

"It's not like that."

"It's exactly like that. You left. We grew up. You don't get to strike up a conversation with me. Or Jared. Or Dr. Brennan, or Dr. Saroyan, or anyone else I work with. If there ever comes a point in my life when I feel like finding you, I'll do it. But the choice doesn't get to be yours. That's not how it works."

Tell him Booth! I could see this and I was proud of Booth for keeping it together because me? I wanted to punch the guy.

"I wouldn't have asked you to do anything illegal."

"The fact that you thought to ask me anything at all pisses me off."

YES! Very typical of that "type" He probably believes he never wanted more than to look up his son to see how he was but we all know better.

"And now we, what, go our separate ways? You keep tabs on me from a distance?"

Joseph's tone was mocking and Booth immediately stiffened against it. "You're not worth the time."

But he would. He knew he would. And he hated himself for it.

Poor Booth. I would imagine this is for self preservation (and the preservation of his loved ones) as much as for anything else.

Brennan's ENTIRE exchange with Cam? Effing GENIUS. So good, real and funny but also poignant because Cam does care and Brennan lets her and it's lovely...even when Brennan shows that once again, there really is only one true boss in the lab and it'a ain't Cam!

I LOVE where Booth is and I love that you tell us without TELLING us. Perfect.

"You spent ten minutes explaining the functionality of your toaster oven to me. Not at all correctly, by the way. And you still wanted to go."

"He laughed again and Brennan rolled her eyes. Because trying to reason with Booth could be difficult enough during the best of times, and it would be damn near impossible now." I laughed because of the toaster and also because I could just picture this. Well done.

"The words sounded ordinary, and she wanted them to be such. With a fervour surpassed only by the one that had taken hold on a certain Christmas Day long ago, she wished she could change the facts. Booth had many little-boy modes – Angela's term, not hers – but the vulnerability that shone through when he mixed alcohol and sadness just about unravelled her." It just about unravelled me too, Brennan.

I love that even drunk he knows she's pretending to get "the bigger picture" wrong.

And the Great Dane analogy is lovely and perfect and so very Brennany describing what is so very Boothy about Booth: he gives so much, his heart is so big so when it hurts it REALLY hurts, but he always survives.

This might be one of the most beautiful descriptives I've ever read: Hard alcohol and pliant mouths, gentle hands and taut skin, relief and gratitude. He had broken parts, and she had broken parts, and together, they formed a slightly jagged whole. They would never make a perfect, plenary piece – oftentimes, they couldn't even be construed as a pretty piece – but what they created was infinitely better than being alone and fragmented and at the mercy of the wind.

And then it rains and she tells him "I told you so" even though he tells her not to, which is so very them, and it is just this lovely, perfect moment in an imperfect time and my heart melted and swelled all at once.

I like that things aren't all better. Booth Senior is not suddenly sober, Booth doesn't suddenly feel all the way better, but they are together and that counts, more than anything else.

Ren, it's been my privilege to read these chapters. Each one has been truly outstanding and this was no exception. And each was worth whatever wait they cost. Your words skate like poetry across the page, making smaller pictures in a greater fabric and I am, daily, in awe of your talent.

Well done, My Friend. Be proud of yourself. At the risk of sounding too much like TwitterMom, I am extremely proud of you for this and much much more.

Thank you for sharing.
threesquares chapter 7 . 11/16/2011
I thought it was great. I love the scene at the end on the steps. You have your own ideas about the places that mean something to them rather than just playing of off places or moments that were actually in the shows. You really do an excellent job of that.
Tartantrace chapter 7 . 11/16/2011
I have just loved this story - so well written. I love when we hear about the past and the blanks are filled in :0) Great job. Looking forward to you next works.
TemperTemper chapter 7 . 11/16/2011
I love the not-neatly-tied-up ending, and I love your Booth and Brennan with all their faults and not making a neat, clean piece with two perfect halves.

This was a gorgeous fic, thanks for sharing :)
Katniss730 chapter 7 . 11/16/2011
Excellent ending. I loved Bones' Great Dane analogy. I loved the mention of the rain as well. This line was just perfect - "He had broken parts, and she had broken parts, and together, they formed a slightly jagged whole."
Alexsmom chapter 7 . 11/16/2011
I have truly loved reading this story and I thought the ending was great. I'm glad you left it open so we can possibly hear more about the asshat later if it comes up. I admire your imagination and your use of language, which I love. I love words and the ways they can be used. That's one of the main reasons I enjoy your writing so much. You nailed Booth in this one and I always feel sorry for him having to carry around so much baggage; good thing he's strong enough to do it and that he has Brennan to help him. So, thanks so much for writing - not just this, but everything you've done, or will do. I look forward to when we meet; epic times (and tattoos and tee-shirts) await! #DenverFTW
ladyfi chapter 7 . 11/16/2011
I honestly can't express how brilliant this story has been. Thanks for sharing.
Frankie707 chapter 7 . 11/16/2011
I think you did a wonderful job wrapping things up...for now. It's not the end, but that's the way I like things. You gave us a satisfying conclusion to this bit but we know their story goes on and they'll continue to deal with their lives together. :) A very satisfying story.
eitoph chapter 7 . 11/16/2011
Okay, let's talk about this fic. Seriously.

It's just, and I say this with the utmost respect for other authors of course, but there is no one else in fandom that writes the way you do. No one. You write like you've been getting paid millions of dollars for years and years to write books - the kind that always made me feel just a little inadequate back when I worked in my little bookstore because they were way, way above my own level of literary kudos. And you write like this consistently, throughout every fic and every little moment that THAT is why I could tell you so confidently that it was going to be fine. Because you just DO it.

The opening flashback made my heart ache. Why must he have had this life? Booth is such a smart and able kind of guy and I just want to take this little boy and hug him for all he's worth. I felt so very involved in his story and so very moved by your depiction of it all that it hurt - in the best possible way.

"His father had flown planes. Memorised skies. It had been knowledge hidden deep within a man who had obtained little education. Even the worst parents could sometimes be teachers."

This is just the most gorgeous image. Unlike anyone else, sometimes you make the most remarkable comments about the ways of the world and say them in a manner that I never even thought of before. I love that you always make me think.

"Because Booth left a note on my desk and I haven't been able to read his writing since before we stopped sleeping together. The first time." The words tumbled out and Cam closed her eyes against the awkward silence. Awkward for her, anyway. Brennan's gaze didn't leave her computer. "I have no idea why I said that."

"Booth says you sometimes talk too much when you're extremely uncomfortable."

"I suppose that's something for me to work on."

Can we pleeeeaase have this exchange on the show at some point? I think we need Brennan to be that totally offhand way you know she'd be with a comment like this, and to see Cam go from sass right down to embarrassed would just make for a slick and hilarious exchange. You still find the fun of the show, even in a darker piece like this, and drop these little moments in there for us.

I know this mode of Booth's and you've just described it in the best way. It's so elegant and it just sort of stabs me right in the heart in this unerringly brilliant fashion.

And oh god, Brennan's metaphor. It was perfect, actually perfect right down to the part where she told it just a little bit wrong and kind of offended him, and the the lesson at the heart of what she was trying to say (unintentional pun). I want to know where you find these perfect little pieces of trivia. You've translated it perfectly for this purpose and for these characters.

It's just... every time I read something you write, I don't think about it in the same way I think about a lot of other things I read. This is something that just pulls me in and goes by in the most intelligent and goddamn elegant fashion - and somehow you still make it feel like anyone can read it and love it, like it's not trying to be bigger or smarter than anyone and I mean that as the highest compliment. (The only way I can properly describe it is to say that there are a couple of other authors that I find genuinely elegant and intelligent and half the time I don't actually have a fucking clue what is meant to be going on in their stories because they're so HARD. You are all these things and still so easy.)

I honestly don't mean this in any way other than face value, but I read this and I wonder what on earth you could ever see in my little fics that just do so many things wrong (mostly because I am far too lazy in this area and not nearly literature-y enough to know how to fix them) when you are just writing these pieces that have class to them that is kind of astounding. You're the kind of author who, did I not know you and have the very good fortune of being able to call a friend, I would read your fics and wouldn't be able to contemplate reviewing because I'd be so goddamned shy and I'd feel that feeling that you feel when you come across a piece of writing that you could never even try to emulate.

So there you have it. If anyone other than you reads this, they might just think I'm a creepy lunatic but I really don't care. This is for you and I'm pretty sure that we're just creepy lunatics together.

And I wouldn't have it any other way!
ProfeJMarie chapter 7 . 11/16/2011
I have really enjoyed this story... wonderfully crafted and the flashbacks intermingled with current scenes do a beautiful job of evoking strong emotion and investment with these characters, even if I didn't already know and adore them so well. ;-) I know many readers really like the smut, but I think this story would be even stronger without it.

The ending is perfect, I think. If it had been any "neater" it would have been entirely unrealistic. There are no magical fixes for this situation... and Brennan's analysis of Booth is spot on. He recovers and moves on because that is what he does.

A superb flow and lyrical feel to this entire piece.
NatesMama chapter 7 . 11/16/2011
This: "Yes. Because you are only a metaphoric Great Dane and you are very much alive. Even though considering the number of near fatal situations you have been involved in, this defies probability."

"You could sound a little happier about that, Bones."

Still making me laugh. LOL

Great ending. Most of the time, life isn't wrapped up in a neat little bow. You figure out how to survive and you move on, it's sometimes not pretty. You illustrated that fact very, very well. Excellent job!
183 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 .. Last Next »