Reviews for The Hero We Deserve
maleficus-lupus chapter 24 . 2/19
Thought I might point out that you seem to have footnote 6 and 5 switched arund.
SlashAlter chapter 1 . 2/16
Shepard got an N7 special forces hardsuit from Basic Training? lol
DeathmatchDrunkard chapter 40 . 2/14
I'd write a review for the prequel, but it's been one and a half years since I've read that (well, I haven't been reading The Hero We Deserve for most of that time, but you get my point). I do remember it was pretty good, though, lots of realistic characters, good rate of progress... simply pretty good over all.

The same applies for this story, though I have to mention that jumping back and forth between text and footnotes was kind of annoying. You added some interesting stuff without exaggerating (for example, the modification to the choice at the end of Legion's loyalty mission).

So, yeah, you did really good. I look forward to catching up with the third installment, though I'll probably read some of the other stories in the Hero'verse first.
Hachichiyyin chapter 31 . 10/4/2014
You have a habit of using 'minutes' instead of 'seconds'.

Even stuff that should be done in 10 sec flat, you describe them as taking 'a couple minutes'.
Selias chapter 40 . 8/11/2014
You know, I realized something as I was reading this. Anderson died at the end of Mass Effect 3 (Sorry about the spoiler, if you didn't play it, yet). That means that your story either doesn't have him die, or changes the end of ME3. I can't wait to find out, so hurry up and write it!
Selias chapter 32 . 8/10/2014
So, Talitha wasn't enslaved by Batarians, in this universe? I just realized that I didn't remember reading about him talking her down, after I googled the name.
Selias chapter 30 . 8/10/2014
"Zaeed; tell me your weapons are still equipped your weapons with disruptor mods."

Might want to fix that.
Selias chapter 16 . 8/9/2014
That email from Leslie always makes my day, when I get it.
Buddhahobo chapter 4 . 6/3/2014
Upon reading this chapter, a few questions struck me;

1) In the first story, one of the footnotes mentioned that Shepard kept the first scope from his first sniper rifle. Was that lost when the Normandy exploded?

2) In a ship with an AI, a XO, and a secretary all there to monitor everything he does...where is he writing these logs?

3) While it does seem in character to continue on the way he is, I'd of excepted at least a little bit of wondering as to what the heck it was that hit the original Normandy through it's cloaking and shields.
Imperator Caligo chapter 35 . 4/7/2014
But...if this is an edited journal that is being released to the universe wouldn't it release the secret Tali wanted to keep hidden?
SomebodyLost chapter 31 . 12/18/2013
I'm rereading this. Haha, I prefer this to canon, lol. Especially that commentary on Shepard's driving - who said who? And it's pretty funny that he was completely oblivious to how his crazy stunts affect the others, even the cool-headed ones.

My only complaint for all these novelizations was the bothersome need to scroll up and down for the footnotes. Helpful and awesome to know some character's viewpoints on the events, but yeeeeah, having to scroll - which is totally hard when you're viewing it via phone - takes some of the enjoyment out. Have you tried Google Docs? You can take advantage of the comment system to directly put the footnotes.
Akseel chapter 2 . 11/5/2013
When I started reading this I had one main thought. Ciaphas Cain, get out of this body !

No, seriously. Your Shepard sounds like him. The irony, the self-preserving reluctant hero who keeps being shoved to the front lines (but always mindful of his reputation). Even your writing style is close (down to the footnotes).

And you know what ? I love it. Ciaphas Cain is an awesome character and your Shepard sounds just as badass and fun to hang out with. Actually he sounds like a real guy rather than a romantic hero. Much more fun this way.

Well, I don't really know what to say beyond that. This story is a heap of fun. I don't often enjoy myself so much when reading a fanfic (translation : I have to read through a lot of crap before I stumble across a little gem like this).

Have you read the Ciaphas Cain novels ? If you haven't, you should. I'm positive you'll enjoy them.

Anyway, I'm off to read more. Great work.
devo342 chapter 3 . 10/26/2013
Swooping is bad
Garibaldi the Black Haired chapter 13 . 7/4/2013
Fracking Reavers and no nades.
sounds familiar
CyberDragonEX chapter 22 . 4/14/2013
not sure if it had come out yet when you wrote this, but what about the patch that expanded the endings? Are they better, or not?