Reviews for The World She Belonged In
Katie Duggan's Niece chapter 1 . 5/17/2011
The first thing you need to know is that you have done a masterful job in creating the dreamlike (or nightmarish?) mood of Sophy's fever and struggle between life and death. The physical detail is strong, but the sense of the supernatural is very much present as well as Sophy's exhaustion struggles with her will/inclination, and her motherly/sisterly tenderness towards Walter against a very different sort of love for Frank.

The choice of the image (the boat) was a splendid touch - heart-tugging, too, recalling the scene where a spirited, sometimes naughty little boy loses his struggle to stay alive. I had tears in my eyes and my heart in my mouth.

A word on Sophy's language: There were a couple of terms ("rewind," for instance) that seemed to belong to the 20th or 21st centuries, rather than to the 1840s. You've done a good job of getting Sophy's point of view, and with language the question is: What would she know? How would she express herself?

Finally, I must say I'm thrilled to see that the influence of Cranford lives on and that it has inspired you. I do hope you will write other stories. You definitely have the soul for it.