Reviews for The Andorian Incident
point-blank47 chapter 1 . 5/17/2013
Re-read no. 2.

I could have sworn I'd reviewed this chapter - or was it a PM? - but I really love it and the scene and atmosphere you're setting: it sounds like something out of Raymond Chandler or something like that. And even when I knew that last line was coming, I was still totally taken in by Bad Boy Tom. Yum.
jrrm64 chapter 12 . 7/6/2012
I am loving your stories of Tom Paris as First Officer. Great.
MeredithBrody chapter 15 . 4/13/2012
Woo. I finally got around to reading this (yey for train stations with the internet!) and it was FABULOUS! I love the description of undercover Tom and of the Andorian political situation. An absolutely fantastic ride that I enjoyed muchly! I almost cried when Tom took off his wedding ring! Eeep! Though the ending made up for it.

Remind me to send you a picture of my goddaughter on VAMB later. We have discovered that she could be the model of Miral. Dark hair and big blue eyes.
mariposa510 chapter 15 . 2/4/2012
Hey there! Sorry it's taken me so long to review...I actually read this one a while ago and thought I had written a review for it! I thought Tom was very much in character throughout this story, which is impressive considering the myriad of very different situations he found himself in. I also liked how you portrayed Riker, especially his frustration with the diplomatic process and not being able to act while in custody...although it's harder to imagine Will killing someone when he could have just incapacitated them, but that could just be me.

I liked how you handled and incorporated the complex politics into the plot. It was a big story, but not too big to follow with the right combination of action and talking. Kudos for the creations in Andorrian culture and customs, by the way! I'm actually an anthropology major, and the explanations for the behaviors pretty much seem like they would have made sense in a real culture as well. I also loved the inclusion of the quotes at the beginning of each chapter! Finally, and as always, your writing is superb! :-) I'll try to read the next one soon, although this dang thesis won't write itself... ;-)
TheNaggingCube chapter 15 . 12/12/2011
Oh my you have a lovely way with our Tom and your OCs are solid useful wonderful things too.

HEHEHEH love love love Lissan and Tom's demands.

me thinks Imzadi going to get some too.
Goldleaf83 chapter 15 . 10/23/2011
A wonderful story that follows up “Choices” very well: it does a fine job in showing the developing partnership between Riker and Paris as captain and XO, as they learn to trust each other, particularly as Tom has the opportunity to show his creative capabilities when challenged. Separated from his crew and with his captain at risk, he can reach into himself and call on the resources he needs to handle all the situations that come his way, whether it’s his less savory past or his skills as a pilot. (Loved the scenes of him blasting out of the spaceports, and particularly how he gets the attention of the Enterprise!) Riker and Paris work well in harmony, even when they don’t know what the other is doing, and the incipient trust they have in each other pays off, especially in the tense situation at the climax when Tom declares the ushaan. Riker may wonder what he’s doing, but he gives him the rope he needs to pull it off – and does so without intending it as a noose (unlike what Tom has experienced in his more distant past). The parallels Tom sees between his younger self and the princess work very well: they show how Tom is able to muster the courage to learn from his past and use it to positively affect professional situations in his current life. And it’s good to see how Admiral Nacheyev trusts Paris as well in the cleverly communicated carte blanche that he takes full advantage of, and her continuing support of his actions after all is over.

The portrait you draw of Andorian society is complex and interesting, both physically on the planet and in the social mores you portray: it’s more than just local color, too, since it is key to the plot. Lots of nice little touches drawn from “Choices”: for instance, the continuing success of the holonovels that enable Tom to draw on extra-Starfleet resources. Great reunion scene with B’Elanna at the end too! Thanks very much for an absorbing and well-told story!
LadyShelley chapter 15 . 8/17/2011
Excellent story! You have a great narrative voice and your characters stay true to the show.

If I had any advice, I'd say you tend to use full names too often (William Thomas Riker, Thomas Eugene Paris) and it loses some effect after awhile.

So thank you for a wonderful story!
QuasiOuster chapter 15 . 7/23/2011
What a ride! I loved Tom's description of his adventures as a western because that is exactly how I saw this story. I distinctly had Cowboy Tom in my mind. That beginning really drew me in and the intensity kept right on going through to the last chapter. The structure for this story was great. I like how it started off slowly although we knew that something insane was coming down the line. It really allowed that intrigue to build because you don't know where the complications are coming from. And when things actually started heating up, you kept that energy going while still making time for a few profound moments for Tom. I also liked the aspect of this Riker/Paris adventure gone awry with the rookie, such as he is, having to save the day.

What was challenging for me is that this wasn't as much of an ensemble story as your others which isn't a bad thing but was something to get used to. I did get a little overwhelmed with the new characters and the lack of familiarity of the settings at times while all this madness is going on. I think that's where your writing of Tom comes in handy because he can ground the story even when the rest of the scenery is something new that the reader has to absorb. But you did keep these new characters vibrant and interesting so it was an easy enough transition to integrate them into the running cast of characters.

I was also really moved by Chapter 8 where we get Tom literally unsealing some of those demons from his past that you mentioned and you also created that moment of removing his wedding ring. That was a really smart, wonderful juxtaposition. There was also a lot of humor that you were able to integrate which were always welcome delights. Overall, this story wasn't what I expected but I like the ambition of it and the ways you were able to further explore Tom's complexities. It's really wonderful work.
dalaire chapter 2 . 6/30/2011
Wonderful and interesting start, AF. You have an organic style about your plotting. I look forward to seeing what's coming next!
ancientmaverick chapter 15 . 6/23/2011
Loved it! I don't think I can say enough how much I truly enjoy this version of Tom Paris. I applaud you for yet another fantastic spin in the post-Voyager universe.
Runawaymetaphor chapter 15 . 6/20/2011
So, I've been holding back my end-of-story review (selfishly) for a long time, waiting for a time when you weren't already being flooded with praise. Here goes. . .

I've spent the last few weeks reflecting on the differences between your Tom and my Tom. I like them both, you know know this, but there's something about your Tom I have a hard time defining mentally-something that pulses through all of your stories but that came out so beautifully in this one that I couldn't turn away even if I wanted to.

It's the way you're unafraid to write him as obviously conflicted, all his insecurities lying just below the surface, easily within view for anyone who takes the time to look. And, man, do you let us look. There's something epically heroic about it, and by 'it' I mean both your Tom and you for writing him that way.

It's understandable to want to push all of the insecurities down, out of sight. 'Let's write Tom on His Very Best Day- no warts for our hero.' But it's ultimately so much more rewarding to see it all laid open; the pain and the anger sitting right beside the courage and unflappability. Because, you know, in the our devotion is all the more for meaningful for it. Warts and all.

Anyway, this very long review is to say that the passage below is my favorite of all fifteen chapters. You may thought it wasn't a stand out passage, compared to everything else you've achieved, but the image therein represents everything I've come to adore.

"Tom put his three Commander's pips neatly on one side of the collar of the leather jacket, then slipped it on and carefully placed the little winged titanium cross of the DFC – which protocol expected him to wear on an occasion as formal as this - precisely under the spot where the "0766" ended. After all, he'd gotten the latter for flying too, albeit not for one of his more successful runs. Variations on a theme, really, when you thought about it."
Juddysbuddy chapter 15 . 6/14/2011
I really loved this story! The idea of listing the rules at the beginning of each chapter was great. There were some really funny and exciting things all the way through. It had everything I loved. I felt really bad about the guard being killed, but loved the way Tom handled that whole situation. Also, loved the ending with B'Elanna! Thanks for writing! I hope you keep coming up with wonderful stories.
Nana Evans chapter 15 . 6/14/2011
Loved Tom's fashion statement, especially because I know he looked really good doing it... and I know B'Elanna agrees with me! WelL, I think I'll never look at those diplomatc meetings we see on TV at the same way, I mean, who knows what happens behind the curtains? I don't know about Canada, but the politics here can think about some pretty nasty plots to get more power and money. Hope you have more luck with that then we do...

Well, guess this is my last chance to say that this is a really good story, one that made me look at my email box every day to see if there were any updates (and belive me, thats a rare thing. I really enjoyed reading it. So thank you very very much!

Well, see you in another fic!
snow6835 chapter 15 . 6/13/2011
haha o man, that was an awesome ending to the chapter... wow what deanna must be feeling! glad lissan was able to step up and usurp her father's speech and limelight and boy was that clear who in tom and b'elanna's relationship was boss... lol at least until tom charms her into becoming putty in his hands. love their strong relationship and can't wait to see how you end it all.
tayababy chapter 15 . 6/13/2011
Ooh very happy albeit sexy ending. Great wrap up for a great story :)
92 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »