Reviews for Speak Up
FyreDrakon chapter 1 . 4/15
this is my fourth or fifth time reading this and it's still a good read.
TetrisEffect chapter 13 . 12/22/2017
Hiker challenges Red to a battle! Geodude used self-destruct! A critical hit! Red is unable to battle! Red blacked out!

Seriously though, what was that hiker even thinking? I mean he totally overlooked the "when trainers lock eyes they must battle" rule (and these games did that.) Red didn't need to battle if he didn't meet the other's eyes, and sadly he couldn't protest. But how nonsensical was that hiker to attack Red when the hiker didn't hear Red say thing in return? Oh, I can't see a thing in this cave, but I'll see if I can win?
Poor Red, I felt bad for him and Pikachu. At least they escaped the cave.
TetrisEffect chapter 8 . 12/21/2017
Gold already? That was someone I didn't expect.
I hope there's a good reason for increasing Red's age from eleven to fourteen. When Red was fourteen in the games he was atop Mt. Sliver. That "lost time" feels odd to some future shipping is coming?

On an unrelated note, I found this line ironic:
[...if he achieved that, he'd be happy for the rest of his life.]
I know this fic was written 2011-2012. However, Red will go to Mt. Silver, Unova, and as an adult Alola and look unhappy everywhere. I don't think becoming the Kanto champion did much for him.
TetrisEffect chapter 4 . 12/21/2017
Okay, I'm starting to notice an issue here. If Red is using sign language to communicate with his pokemon, where is he standing? Or how are his pokemon facing? Every pokemon battle from the games, anime, and manga depict the trainer behind his pokemon almost every instance. Are his pokemon partially facing him then? Signing takes some time, and talk is much faster. It's very strange that Red beat Brock unless the gym leader went easy on him.
There's two typos in this chapter:
[...Red still wasn't tired of this reacting from people.]
[Red pulled out his badge and shower her.]
TetrisEffect chapter 3 . 12/21/2017
I see Viridian City was completely skipped and nothing was said about the locked, unoccupied gym.
Green's still being decent to Red. How long will that last?
Now here we have begun to witness the lack of understanding. It must be incredibly frustrating for Red to be unable to perform the necessary task of healing his Pokemon without any confusion.
TetrisEffect chapter 2 . 12/21/2017
Seeing the beginnings of a bond between Pikachu and Red was pretty adorable.
I won't explain again, but please use correct punctuation with dialogue.
TetrisEffect chapter 1 . 12/21/2017
This premise is interesting. I've passed this story countless times and never knew why I didn't bother to read it sooner.

There are a few mistakes regarding dialogue.
["You'll be able to talk to Red using it,"] This is a complete sentence and it should end with a period. Ditto for the last sentence:
["Which he isn't,"] This should be a period too, not a comma.

In first sentence of the last paragraph, there is a punctuation error:
[...he'd probably respond with something like this.]
That should end with a colon, I reckon.
Abdullahsaurus chapter 11 . 11/8/2017
Char char
Abdullahsaurus chapter 2 . 11/8/2017
Awwwwww
Abdullahsaurus chapter 1 . 11/8/2017
Awwww
Guest chapter 56 . 10/5/2017
Fox : Wow, you had me totally hooked. I HAD to complete this story in 4 days. Great work
BambixRonno chapter 56 . 10/1/2017
Ik you finished this years ago but hnnnnnnnnNNNNNN it was just SO GOOD I loved every minute of it! I adore mute Red, so finding such a long fanfic about it AND realising it was complete made me feel like I'd struck a gold mine. Speaking of, I loved the cameos that Gold made! Seriously, I actually screamed when we saw him on the S.S. Anne, and I'm really glad he made a reappearance at the end!

I noticed in one of your authors notes you mentioned something about the pokemon battles? Honestly, I thought they were great! Every moment was tense and filled with anticipation when it needed to be, and you did a fantastic job executing the difference Red had between, say, a Rocket grunt and a Gym Leader. And the final battle with Green - oh my god, I couldn't look away from my screen.

The interludes were nice to read, as well. They did a good job at providing some context for Red and Green's childhood, such as the whole thing with Green's dad leaving, which made it way easier to understand exactly what had happened to cause them to go from close friends to really intense rivals.

Also, personally I didn't mind the lack of romance. Maybe this is just partly because I actually already ship Red with someone (although at some points when I was reading Red and Mia's interactions, a part of me was going "holy crap I ship it"). Aside from my personal bias, I think what you did worked really well! It explored the kind of feelings someone Red's age would begin to experience in a realistic way, but it didn't take any attention away from the main story. Honestly? The awkward cheek peck at the end of the second to last chapter felt super natural to me, especially when you consider their age and the probability that they BOTH feel awkward about it, since (at least on Red's side, if not Mia's as well), they have no experience with romance and have no idea what they're supposed to do.

Anyway, I think I've rambled enough. I have more to say, but idk how to put it into words right now because I'm still hyped over that final battle (beautiful job executing the relationship shift between Red and Green, btw). To put it simply: I literally didn't talk to any of my friends until I'd finished this, and when I did, it was just to gush about the fic and how much I loved it.
arsenicminds chapter 1 . 8/25/2017
wow this was great
George1892 chapter 56 . 8/22/2017
Great story.
ReaperOfOaths chapter 43 . 8/16/2017
oh I feel so smart I fucking called it boo yah bitches