Reviews for As the Sun
Dragon Elexus chapter 23 . 9/14/2017
I devoured this fanfic over the course of three days. It was absolutely stunning. I have always found it incredibly difficult to find good atla stories, let alone AUs, but this was a beautiful tale- unique from the original, yet still honoring the characters and themes. The moment I gasped aloud was when Lin showed up. I had thought this was written before Legend of Korra- and indeed, some part of my mind mourned all those lives who were never born because of the altered timeline. But then she showed up, and it was beautiful! And I utterly adore how you actually used the brainwashing element of the Dai Lee, and delved into how horrifying that really would be, since it's such an underused element in fandom.

Thank you so much!
Led Feynman M.D. D.D.S. Ph.D chapter 22 . 8/21/2017
That was neat!
Salome Maranya chapter 23 . 7/23/2017
Well-written and kept me engaged until the end. Azula is such a complex, interesting character and she's so wonderful here. The relationship between the characters are not perfect but it works so well. The conflict and madness that's swirling inside her is almost mirrored in the story's format, I think. Everything happening all at once and all these people dealing with plans consequences.
stuckunderwater chapter 23 . 7/20/2017
This was so wonderful 3
Kimmytrainer chapter 6 . 5/5/2017
Whoa. That was intense.
Kimmytrainer chapter 5 . 5/5/2017
Sweet they rescued Azula and Mai stayed with Zuko even after he was named a criminal of some sort. No longer annoyed at her; she clearly loves him and not his royal status. Hope Zuko takes this new info about Avatar Azula well.
Kimmytrainer chapter 4 . 5/5/2017
It's annoying how Mai takes him back only when he's named the crown prince again. I'm curious how this will play out, what with Azula captured.
Kimmytrainer chapter 3 . 5/5/2017
Shit he found out. I'm not confused anymore; obviously the cycle went Roku, Aang, Hama, Toph, Azula. Interesting. Too bad Toph won't play a bigger role in this; I do so adore her. Anyway, I hope Azula will be alright.
Kimmytrainer chapter 1 . 5/5/2017
I'm confused about the history and who these people are. Why is Hama there? I know the "yellow boy" is Aang (at least I assume because he wears yellow), but the blind earthbender? Kyoshi? Was she ever blind? That's why I'm confused, because Toph was blind but she's younger than Azula, so I don't understand how AU this story is. It's interesting, though.
Sage of Wind Dragons chapter 22 . 5/4/2017
beautiful goal right there! quite nice fun.
Sage of Wind Dragons chapter 18 . 5/4/2017
god I love this so MUCH. I mean it does really highlight how freaking out NUMBERED they all were... Iroh,Paidio, Jenog Jenong, Bumi, Pakku... their are so many folk that can count as NEAR equil or CLOSE to equil against Ozai...

and only combustion man is a real asset. besides the fam.

which makes fire nation more impressive that they did so well int he war and a bit so frustrating tha they were all waiting around for freaking avatar to get it DONE. only I assume Iroh was prepping for a him and Zuko vs Azula and Ozai thing... well.

but Zuko gaining lightning! well done. it fits and is appropriate.
Sage of Wind Dragons chapter 15 . 5/4/2017
its almost a fact that Luten probably died to Dai Li, and maby Ozai and Long Feng? and well.
having read embers Vathura makes an excellent argument that after Iroh and known breaking siege he had no heirs...at worst Ozai is his heir, at best... hmmm.

but your working this out BEAUTIFULLY. while it annoyed my a bit allowing Azula to just instant WIN like that...

well. I do hope Lin wasent raped a lot over the years considering things... well.

but DAMM I ENJOY THIS. Aang dies, Hama then TOPH and then Azula it WORKS AND FITS BEAUTIFULLY.
Sage of Wind Dragons chapter 1 . 5/3/2017
oh this is INTERESTING. I mean peace wis Yue married to Zuko, and Azula to Kuie... please have grand secritant be the son that killed Lu Ten! and oh the Ozai BETRAYED and lied for the position... oh dear.
Randalish chapter 22 . 4/30/2017
Every once in a while, I come back to re-read a story I remember loving. Sometimes, this results in disappointment, if my tastes have changed in the intervening time, or if it turns out my memory became idealised. Fortunately, this story definitely doesn't fall into that category.

Comparing my memories of "As the Sun" to the story I re-read over the weekend, I find that the style is just as I remember it, and just as powerful: sparse prose that dances over its themes like fingers lightly plucking at snares, barely seeming to touch upon them yet leaving a powerful resonance. This is not a short story, but it is short for the amount of ground it covers; not just in terms of events and time, but especially in terms of character growth and relationships.

The latter aspect is where this re-read was most rewarding: I had forgotten just how fascinating the interactions between these characters are, even though (or because?) the parallels and contrasts between them are never made explicit, and instead left for the reader to pick up on. No offence to Aang, but your Azula makes for so much more interesting a sounding board for all the other characters than he does, forcing everyone in the story to define themselves ever so much more explicitly in response to the force of her personality and the danger her razor-edge nature represents. Unlike Aang, Azula is not a safe character, and this makes her a much more powerful driving force for the story. In turn, this makes the other characters that much more interesting as they respond.

This is the second part of "As the Sun" that I did not fully remember: just how volatile Azula is, despite the wisdom provided by her past selves, and just how easily she could have fallen down various dark paths along the story. Or how often she does start down these dark paths, only to find her way back to a more comfortable shadow-zone. Azula really is like a flame: all those who try to grasp her get burned, and guiding her to a safe path is much more about creating safe outlets for her than about controlling her. Again, the sparse style works in the story's favour, here. We don't need to know exactly what it is Azula does that fire nation colonel to feel the weight of those actions.

My final point, and this is more in response to "Radiant," the epilogue (which, I know, I encouraged you to post it as a separate story last time I reviewed, but I can't leave two reviews on the same chapter for some reason) is that I was surprised at how optimistic I felt when I finished this story.

Azula is a dark character, and many of the other characters (especially May and Zuko) likewise are forced to take on a darker role in response, but they are also much more mature. Reading this epilogue, I feel a profound sense of hope; a trust that this world is in the right hands. By themselves, all these characters are flawed or limited in some way, but together they complement one another's strengths and compensate for weaknesses so that I can believe they would manage to achieve these results.

The original "Avatar" cartoon had much more of a traditional happy ending, but it never filled me with faith in the future the way this story does. If I had to choose, I would live in the world where Azula is avatar. I imagine that, were she able to hear me say that, she would be gratified.

Once again, thank you for writing this story.
AzurCeleste chapter 1 . 9/22/2016
This particular fanfiction is everything. The narration is just the right amount, and you manage to convey the COMPLETE story of the show in a very compressed format—however, nothing feels as if it was left out. I love how IC Azula is, she's a tricky one. Or at least I surmise so, since so many authors turn her into a pop-cultural psycho. And can I say it's kind of funny how Azula does the greater good while being her usual malicious self? (I cannot say evil this time around thanks to your mastery of her character).