Reviews for Best of the Best
Shiary chapter 1 . 3/14/2013
CrystalOfEllinon chapter 1 . 5/21/2011
Character study bits; not many writers do them (at least not often) but they truly are one of my favorite things to read. I like getting inside characters heads and seeing what makes them tick, what makes them good or bad people, what makes them, the case of good characters, PEOPLE.

Spirit doesn't get much love. Like you said, he can come across at Token Ethnic Guy (Subtype; Native American). I haven't used him much mostly because I'm leery of such things (same reason I've never put Kwinn in anything).

But this...well, it works. It makes sense. It makes a guy with a pet eagle named "Freedom" who wears buckskins on a military base make sense.

Nicely done, ma'm.
Agent-M-0167 chapter 1 . 5/20/2011
I really liked this story. It was interesting to see another person's point of view on an unused character. It really felt like Spirit was talking to all of us about who and what he is all about.

Your stories never cease to amaze me and I'm ready for the next character story.
Lady Jaye1 chapter 1 . 5/20/2011
First of all, thank you for writing this. I actually do like Spirit and the way he was written has always irked me, even though writers got a little better about it much later. I tried to do him justice the few times he's appeared in Silence and was planning to do a Spirit-centered fic at some point. You beat me to the punch and I love you for it. You gave Spirit a personality here and reasons for the way he acts or acted. I especially loved him fitting in with the Joes and the analogy of 10,000 unique marbles. That, plus the fact that Polly is Freedom's roommate.
rogue-scholar07 chapter 1 . 5/20/2011
Yay! About time somebody gave Spirit some love. Okay, he gets used quite often in the crossover section (*cough* Misfits *cough*), but he might consider that somewhere on the border between "love" and "torture"...

Anyways, great character study!
The Child Of Silence chapter 1 . 5/19/2011
Finally, someone who agrees! Of course, I am biased slightly since he is my favourite character... I digress. Either way, there's nothing I can think to say that hasn't already been said by all the other reviewers. Good job, and I hope to see more character studies.
Katrinka the Great chapter 1 . 5/19/2011
Funny and yet profound. Your so right, spirit doesn't get any where near enough love. keep up the good work.
Faye Kinitt chapter 1 . 5/19/2011
great story with a nice look at a character that personally I dont really like,I feel my profile speaks volumes: not sure if its visible but its panal from one of the marvel GI joes were Spirit, who is recovering from some injuries and is on cruches is being kicked by two kids! ( one of them is Sean Collins, that must have been an awkward reuinon)

any way I hope you contine with some of the other less famous Joes , since there are so many of them! cant wait to read more
Karama9 chapter 1 . 5/19/2011
I absolutely love this story. I always felt Spirit was a bit of an offending stereotype, so the idea that he was a stereotype on purpose, to mess with people, and was wondering all the time whether they'd wise up or catch him, is HILARIOUS. And as you may be able to imagine, I can relate to wondering just how far down silly lane you can go before people call you up on it. :)

And his reflections on GI Joe are spot on. He really is wise. I love the marbles analogy, especially given you also introduced the idea of precious unique marbles earlier in the story. The bit on forced medical leave until Doc simmers down again was too funny.

I think my perception of Spirit just changed for the much, much better. Thanks for a great story!
TinySprite chapter 1 . 5/18/2011
Awesome! Love how you worked with his character and what came of it!

Though now I'm wondering just what happened to Freedom...we don't see him anymore...
Willwrite4fics chapter 1 . 5/18/2011
This was awesome. I always intended to do more character studies but never have and never considered Spirit. You really did a superb job.