Reviews for Family Portrait
CommChatter chapter 18 . 11/18/2012
This was great. I liked Daj- I think this was the first time a Niemodian has been presented in a positive light.
Any chance that Luke somehow ends up on Malkiri and meets Daj?
xSuperNovax chapter 18 . 9/24/2012
I loved this entire thing! It was amazing to read, and you wrote it wonderfully! Amazing!
silverflight8 chapter 18 . 3/14/2012
I just wanted to say this was a really incredible story. It pulled together the three of them without making it seem out of character; the mission was at once frustrating and altogether too real - hence the frustration; the interactions and the subtle ways that you characterize your original characters is fantastic. I know this was posted years ago, but I was recently recommended it - thank you so much for posting.
SoSe chapter 17 . 12/11/2011
"They call me Sticks." He pointed to the others with him, another human and a young Wookiee. "Those two are Jams and Hairball."

"He's Jams," the human said, jerking his thumb at the Wookiee.

Hah! That's adorable. Perfect cap on a great story.
Rachel Indeed chapter 17 . 5/25/2010
Wow. I loved this story so much. You are such an amazing writer in this fandom ~ I came across "Father's Heart" years ago on a different website, and it has stuck with me all these years. This story was equally graceful, and even more emotionally intricate. I really, really love the way you write Anakin and Obi-Wan's relationship, and the way you handle Anakin's moments of wrongdoing and anger without dehumanizing him, showing that underlying, blazing sense of outrage at injustice that drives him and occasionally endangers him. I love him so much as I see him through your eyes, I love the way he struggles with his own flaws. He's always been my favorite character, long before the prequels came out, and it's a delight to find stories that create such an earnest, funny, *real* voice for him and Obi-Wan. And I enjoyed your treatment of Siri very much, too, you really rounded her out and showed how she and Anakin found certain reliefs and comforts in recognizing each other's imperfections as well as in promoting each other's strengths. I think they are both a little intimidated by Obi-Wan's seeming perfections every now and then, though clearly they both love and respect him.

Some of my favorite small bits:

*Anakin's Janus-faced sculptures ~ troubling, yet beautiful

*Obi-Wan and Siri's sniping at each other, balanced out by their lovely last conversation

*Anakin's defensiveness of Obi-Wan ~ so endearing!

*"Do you feel that I rob you of things you enjoy?"/"No."

*"You aren't bad at improvising, you know."

*"I'm not happy you stopped me yet."

*"You don't hate anyone."

I'm so glad you wrote this. Thank you!
ElricKeyblade chapter 18 . 3/11/2010
As someone who only is now getting into the Star Wars fandom (and so far only made it to the prequel trilogy and wookieepedia/ wikipedia), I seriously commend you on writing such a well-thought out, grammar-oriented, in-character story. I LOVE how you portray the father/son relationship between Obi-Wan and Anakin, and I love how the entire plot of this story makes sense. Most of all, I love how in-character this is. You truly are a great writer. Once again, GREAT job on this! bd
Stiehl chapter 18 . 7/13/2009
I must say, absolutely brilliant from start to finish. You got the mystery part of the story down pat, I kept trying to figure out who could have done it. Never would have suspected the father, though Sith involvement wasn't exactly accounted for either. I do generally prefer a bit more action, but this more than made up for it with it being written so well. Going to have to check out your other stories. Later.
pronker chapter 18 . 2/18/2009
Marvelous article. I read Portrait some years ago on TFN but never here and am glad that I visited today in order to find this ending. Someone new to SW fandom, Mathematica here and Albumsontheside on LJ, wrote a piece on Anakin and Obi-Wan and I couldn't think of a neater, more succinct take on their father/son/sibling relationship than your survey for Saga Journal in '05.

Sincerely,

pronker
WhyMustIWrite chapter 18 . 2/16/2009
This article is great! Seriously, I recognized the name Tomik instantly and grinned to see where he had ended up. I loved that Daj had such an influence on him.

I found Daj's view on the Empire to be quite interesting. In a way, he was right; he just didn't grasp that, being governed by the Sith, the Empire would never truly work itself to a good role. He brought out some interesting arguments, notably the one regarding how quickly they've stabilized the trade routes and bring order. But the price that is paid for such stability...
WhyMustIWrite chapter 17 . 2/16/2009
I forgot to mention how touched I was by Anakin's "defense" of Obi Wan before Yoda. -

My favorite part of this chapter was undoubtedly the end, where Anakin considers the lessons that Obi Wan has for him.

Daj turned out to be a great character, I'm so glad for the role he played in this fic.

And then Siri, and forshadowing her choosing Ferus for a padawan...it was good to see her come to terms with her role in the Order.

This chapter neatly tied the loose strings. I think the only thing we don't know is what ultimately happens to Zio's parents, and what was the result of the trial.
WhyMustIWrite chapter 16 . 2/16/2009
The implications brought out in this chapter are astounding. And to think that they were so close to the Sith, but being assured that the Chancellor would "look into the situation" surely nothing could come of it. The last line, about Malkiri being a test run, was particularly powerful. And I like the way Anakin came to that conclusion by correlating it to droids.

The plot here has been intense, with suprising twists and turns. The betrayl by Anakin's "friend" was a good place to deal more particularly with his anger, and I'm glad that Obi Wan could restrain him there. Though I do wish they could have connected better when they discussed it briefly afterwards. Not even I'm sure of what exactly Anakin was hoping to hear, but I guess he took Obi Wan's assurance of unconditional acceptance and misconstrued it as a general sentiment applicable to anyone else in the galaxy.

The character interaction and development has been as rich and complex as the plot! This story seems like it belongs in canon.
WhyMustIWrite chapter 13 . 2/16/2009
I love how effectively you portrayed the Jedi's varying reactions to the savagery. Anakin's emotions in particular were expressed powerfully. The interaction between Obi Wan and Mrs. Shapoi was also well written. The point you brought out about the guilt Obi Wan felt concerning Anakin while speaking with her stood out to me from this chapter.

What happened to Shapoi was a real tragedy, and I'm suprised by how moved I am by this story. This is certainly a great story...I'm so glad I happened to stumble across it.
WhyMustIWrite chapter 12 . 2/16/2009
This is a fascinating story! It has kept me enthralled, practically bolted to my seat, and I kept telling myself I'll review after "one more chapter". I am thoroughly ashamed to have gone more than halfway through the story without stopping to say a word!

I love the plotline here, it is believable and very excited. Of course I adore the undercurrents of tension and interaction between Obi Wan and Siri, and how it they ended up working counterproductively because Siri's convinced that he's disgusted by her and Obi Wan's a bit miffed by the way she seemed to be teasing him and thus has to try to keep from being distracted.

I also appreciate the many insights you've given into Anakin and Obi Wan's master-padawan relationship. I was particularly pulled in by the whole matter with the sculpture that had Obi Wan on one side and Maul on the other. It was interesting to see Obi Wan struggle over what it could mean, and Anakin's chiding reassurance. I also appreciate the idea of Obi Wan giving Anakin "special lessons".

You have kept everyone so beautifully in character. I love seeing how they react to the prejudices and blind hatred of the citizens of the planet. And I have to say it is very nice to see Neimoidans presented as something other than greedy, cowardly villains. You've "humanized" them, in a manner of speaking.

Shapoi is a believable and interesting oc. I appreciate his point of view and his determination not to have the Order's reputation tarnished by allowing them to rescue him. He is amazingly loyal, though he also seems to have a conflict of interest as far as his parents are concerned. In any case, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading about Shapoi and I find myself saddened by his apparent demise in this chapter.

I love the way you explore the concept of Jedi and family. There were occasions there when Obi Wan felt almost instinctivly attracted to the notion, and Anakin, of course, is predisposed to desire it. You haven't really explored Siri's pov when it comes to family, and how to deal with them. But I do enjoy the idea of Anakin being their coach.

And I have to say that in this particular chapter I found it quite endearing how you pointed out Obi Wan's tendency to think that eventually people /must/ think rationally and listen to reason, and that you brought out the incident with Boss Nass and the "symbiote circle" as a case in point.

So, I believe that my conscience has been assuaged with this review and that I can now go back to enjoying this wonderful story!
IonicAmalgam chapter 18 . 8/5/2008
great story.
Alien Roxi chapter 18 . 4/11/2008
That was a really good fic, really good!