Reviews for A Different Wheel
rmw5763 chapter 20 . 5/22
I hope you will eventually update the story as it is my Favourite story that I have read here. Galad can channel,that is a great twist. Please,Keep up the good work.
Son of Zeus0001 chapter 15 . 4/5
CHAPTER 17

This was a very enjoyable chapter. Though, there was a slight issue with the courtyard scene. Mat asks who they are there to see, as if he does not know Rand is the Dragon Reborn. Then, when speaking to Berelain, he demands to know if Rand is too much of a lord to interact with his friends. It's small, but somewhat jarring.
Son of Zeus0001 chapter 14 . 4/3
This is gonna sound weird, but here it goes. The fact that you use the words "floor" and "ground" correctly... I cannot tell you how wonderful that is to me. The number of stories I've read that have the word "floor" while people are outside is just depressing.
Son of Zeus0001 chapter 10 . 4/1
CHAPTER 9:

I love this chapter. It's the first chapter in which things become really clear that everyone is moving on in their lives and growing up, and Egwene is getting left behind. While other chapters display the characters growth really well, this is the first time we realize that Egwene is excluded from a lot of it and isolated in a way that makes for some really interesting interactions. The next point(at least as far as I remember) is when the girls and the Aes Sedai are traveling to Teir to meet the Dragon Reborn.

Wonderful work... I'm just sad it's discontinued.

Random Thoughts: Whenever I read Wheel of Time stuff, I can't help but think about other potential stories that work as different ages. It's actually kind of funny because there are a ton of them. For example, the Dresden Files kind of works as The First Age, with the Protagonist being the Dragon of his time. He even had a girlfriend named Elaine! Danny Phantom works in a way, if you consider Pariah Dark to be the Dark One and Danny to be the Dragon. Honestly, there are far too many to count.

CHAPTER 5:

The beginning of this chapter, with Elayne and Egwene's conversation, provides yet another scene in which we see how Egwene is getting left behind. Very well done. Too, the whole idea of Moiraine feeling the taint through the Ways is a wonderful touch. It provides a bit of proof - even if not incontrovertible - that Saidin is purified when that happens.
Son of Zeus0001 chapter 5 . 3/29
CHAPTER 4:

I am a terrible, terrible person... That scene with Elayne in the dungeon taunting Rand put images in my head of things that are in no way appropriate for a young daughter-heir to be involved in. I... really couldn't stop laughing. And, with her tendency to pick up new curses... it could potentially fit her. Or, at least, it fits her better than any of the other characters.

The re-read is just as enjoyable as the first time. Though, I'm still sad you didn't continue.

CHAPTER 5:

This chapter is always fun... though, so are all of them. If I had to pick out one or two things, I'd say that Rand and Galad's beginning to channel or the politicking was the most fun. Though, I'm sad we missed out on the Two Rivers kids' reactions to Miss T(Now she needs a Mohawk).
The King in White chapter 20 . 2/3
I really do like this fic. It's a shame that it seems to be abandoned. I'd be really interested in seeing how things diverge considering Tigraine lived and Rand seems far more stable - and political. I can't see him just lying down and letting the Seanchan rule all.
Revliledpembroke chapter 1 . 2/2
Brilliant idea. Looking forward to seeing where it takes us. If you plan on going through all of the books, I tell you that you have more patience then I ever could. There are people who finish their Harry Potter stories in 4 years because they can't come bear the thought of writing enough to cover those 3 extra years.
Inquisitor Sol chapter 20 . 10/17/2015
I know that you have most likely abandoned this particular story, but I look forward to reading it if you post more in the future.
Bastor78 chapter 20 . 8/14/2015
Love the story so far. Please continue if you can.
Ben
Higure Hokousha chapter 20 . 5/7/2015
An excellent fic, and a fascinating take on an alternate timeline for the events of WoT.

Curious as to how Saidin was cleansed, in terms of metaphysics, but very pleased with the associated developments.

Your characterization is excellent, although I am deeply amused by the dynamics between Siuan and Rand...it's IC, don't get me wrong, but it's a situation I never dreamt of seeing. Very interesting.

I hope you are well, and look forward to seeing future updates, if you choose to continue this fine work of yours.
Balthanon chapter 10 . 4/11/2015
I'm a bit disappointed that you turned away from having Rand go straight to the Tower- I think it would have been a bit more interesting to start deviating from the books more here. The plans that Moraine and Tigraine were making were interesting and I would have liked to have seen a story where Rand is more open to working with them (given his mother's influence and participation).
Red Wings chapter 20 . 3/29/2015
Yay! Tuon is coming.

However, with Mat going with Rand to Rhuidean, his meeting with his future wife won't happen until way later. I can't wait.

Rand is terribly omniscient, what with his memories, ability to channel, and having everyone around him kneel to him, nobles and Aes Sedai. If I didn't know better, I'd say you're making him into a Gary Stu. Yet, there are still a lot of things Rand has to do, and he still doesn't seem to understand why Aviendha acts the way she does around him. Other than that, he's almost mostly perfect. Please don't make him invincible. You'll kill his character.

One of the things that Rand hasn't been able to do, is get the Amyrlin to stop hunting men who can channel. Rand told her the taint of saidin has been cleansed, but she doesn't quite believe it. How can she? Siuan only has Rand's word to go by. It's understandable. Rand is going to have to find Logain and all the other channelers himself, then.

I find that this is a good thing. Rand isn't all-powerful, even if he is the Dragon Reborn, the strongest ta'veren and person in the world, nor is he faultless. This is proof that Rand isn't perfect, and I like that. He can't do everything, despite all his memories and abilities. He is what he is now because of all the support he's had from his mother, who is still alive, and his friends. When will Mat's and Perrin's stories diverge from Rand's? Soon?

The conversation between Rand and the Amyrlin Seat is quite civil. His knowledge thanks to his past life (lives) gives him an edge over the other characters (save maybe the Forsaken). It would be nice if Rand and Siuan could respectively learn to fish and spin yarn. That Rand is at least cooperating with others than scheming in secret yields him a lot more than in canon.

Oh ho! Galad is appointed the Steward of Tear, eh? Awesome. This way, none of the nobles try anything funny, and Mayene is protected - meaning, Galad and Berelain get to spend more time together. Even though it's merely business, I'm sure Berelain couldn't be more pleased with this outcome. She has more than adequate protection from the Tairen nobles and others.

I've noticed, but it's been two years since you last updated. Are you having writer's block? The WoT series is chalk-full of loads and loads of characters, both major and minor - lots of minor characters with their own stories and plot. It is hard to keep track of all of them.

Do know that this is the best AU WoT fanfic I've read, and I hope you will continue it.
Red Wings chapter 19 . 3/29/2015
Elayne's test to become Accepted sounds just as bad as Nynaeve's. Jordan never wrote what Elayne went through to end up on her knees, crying on Nynaeve's lap, but it is very telling what she tells Egwene and Nynaeve: "I couldn't be that bad." Your version of what Elayne went through sounds even worse than what Egwene and Nynaeve must have went through. Good job.

The relationship between Rand and Elayne is picking up. Of course they love each other, but there will be tough times ahead. They're going to need all the love and support they can get.

The way you write the sparring scenes is just as poetic as Robert Jordan's prose. It's beautiful to read. Both Rand and Galad have gotten a lot stronger. Now they can show off to the Aiel and Tairen nobles that they aren't boys, but men, and very strong ones. Elan/Ishmael came to pay Rand a visit, and with a gift. How very generous of Lews Therin's former friend. What's more, he even kindly warned Rand not to be such a show-off that he forgot about other Forsaken watching other than Elan, as well as cautioning Rand about Lanfear knowing about Elayne. Rand should have someone guarding her while he's gone. Don't know what a woman scorned like Lanfear will do to one of Rand's loved ones, especially his wife, who looks similar to Illyena.

Can Rand sense that Verin is Black Ajah? He ought to tell Elayne, Egwene and Nynaeve to be wary. Maybe they can save Verin and her Warder before Tarmon Gaidon.

It's a good thing you have Elayne married to Rand. Besides Min, she's the only one who really appreciate Rand for all that he is, and encourages him to be all that he can be. She accepts him as Rand, and not just the Dragon Reborn, Lews Therin. He can talk to her easily, and she can talk to him just as well. It's a very beneficial relationship.

Now, what will you do with Aviendha and Min? It's clear Rand likes them too, even if he doesn't love them yet. Elayne doesn't know her very well, but she already feels alright around the Maiden of the Spear. I can't wait to see what you do with these two.
Red Wings chapter 18 . 3/29/2015
Loved the way Rand handled the situation with the White Tower. However, don't make him some sort of Invincible Hero. He'll be too boring, then.

Egwene really grates on my nerves. At the beginning of the chapter, she was talking to Elayne and Nynaeve about what the Aes Sedai plan to do. It seemed at first she was on Rand's side, but then quickly switched to being on the side of the Amyrlin and the White Tower. Annoying, but then their conversation proves that while they don't think Rand wouldn't hurt people intentionally, they know him to be very stubborn. Still, it was really confusing. Egwene doesn't want Rand to be gentled, does she? If she was really his friend, she would be the first to go to Siuan and ask her politely to allow her to talk to Rand first. At least then, Egwene would have something to buy Rand time, and make it look like she was letting the Aes Sedai get ready to form a circle around him.

Elayne and Nynaeve weren't any better. But then, they are the Accepted, and they were chosen because of their connections to the Dragon Reborn. Why didn't the Amyrlin let one of the three girls do the talking? That would have been more reasonable.

I know Egwene is irritating, but she isn't a sell-out. She's not a status-climber, either. Enough with the character bashing.

The scene between Rand and Mat was quite endearing. At least, Mat will have Rand on his side when he asks the Wise Ones to get access into Rhuidean.

Ah, Galad and Berelain. My new favorite couple. In canon, there was really nothing (save Tarmon Gaidon) barring their way. Now, with Galad as the brother of the Dragon Reborn, there are a few setbacks. I loved the dialogue between them:

Berelain: I would be lying to say that a betrothal between us would not benefit Mayene greatly, but that is not why I am walking with you tonight.

Galad: I would be lying to say that a betrothal between us would not benefit myself.

:: swoon::

I loved the whole scene. Poor Berelain. Poor Galad. Who would have ever thought that these noble, beautiful people would have such drama so early? And it's not even Tarmon Gaidon! With Galad a nobody in the eyes of the Damodreds and the thrones of Andor and Cairhien, what hope does he have to court the First of Mayene? But hey, there's still hope. Galad is the half-brother of Elayne Trakand, as well as the Dragon Reborn. That has to count for something, right?

...wait. Galad is a male channeler.

Berelain does not yet know.

Light.

I hope these two get their happy ending.
Red Wings chapter 17 . 3/28/2015
It's rather cute that Berelain is trying to use her usual tactics on Rand. As Rand hasn't fallen into madness thanks to saidin having been cleansed earlier, he's being really kind to her, even when her advances can get tiring. At least he hasn't snapped at her. Though...his past lives' memories coming into his mind, he laughed at a rather surprising moment, catching her off guard, scaring her. This is much creepier than in canon, and I must say, a lot better. Berelain isn't a channeler, so the only thing she can do is use her beauty and wits to protect herself and her country from stronger forces. At least she's helping Rand out, and he's grateful and appreciative of her assistance. This is really good.

I find it silly that Berelain should feel so threatened by Rand being with Elayne. She knows that Rand is a married man, and the Dragon Reborn. He is meant for better things, and Mayene is really not big on his list of things to conquer. Thus, why she swore fealty to him, hoping that by doing this, she can save her country. Admirable, and noble, really. She's a lot better than the Tairen nobles, hoping to gain Rand's favor by following him around, offering their help.

Good to see Galad learning how to use saidin. What about the other two boys, Mat and Perrin? It would be cool if you could write a training montage or even do a chapter dedicated to them. They may not be as strong as Rand, but they are both ta'veren, able to pull and influence people as well.

Smart of Rand to keep Callandor where it is. This way he can protect it from the Forsaken without having to keep it on his person the whole time, as well as ensuring he has the Tairen nobles' loyalty.

It's obvious that Rand likes Aviendha as well. When his women get together, what will happen? Will you have them learn to cooperate and have Elayne give the other two her blessing to 'share' Rand? Will Elayne get to make Aviendha her 'sister-wife'? Or better yet, Aviendha agree to making Elayne and Min her adopted sister-wives and share the Dragon Reborn? I don't know how else Rand will bind the Aiel to him save for marrying to keep them as allies. Do the Aiel even see political alliances like the way the Wetlanders do?

Ah, Moiraine and co. make it to Tear. I was waiting for the moment when the next couple met and fell in love at first sight. Galad and Berelain had their moment. It feels like you took it out from canon and wove it to your own pattern here in your fic. These two kids are such saps. Berelain may play it cool and say that she must marry for the benefit of her country, it's so clear she's fallen for Galad, and he for her. Though, with Galad, he isn't with the Whitecloaks. It should be better for them to get together without too much drama that the other couples in the story will have.

...right. As if that will happen. With Tarmon Gaidon approaching, and the way you've made Galad here, the romance will have to wait until Rand defeats the Dark One. I can't wait to see how you write the Last Battle.

I liked the way Berelain spotted out Faile so easily. At least now, Faile doesn't have anyone to bar her way for Perrin.

Moiraine is going to have a fine time with Rand, now that he's told her that he's no one's fool or pet. It's a good thing, because at least she won't have to force Rand or use underhanded methods to get him to save the world.

Berelain's Aes Sedai advisor has not been telling her everything. I take it by the First of Mayene's words, Annoura has been fired. Oh well.

I liked the ending. Rand should get to spend time with his half-brother and friends. There are dark days ahead, so it's good to take a breather now and then. Rand needs to show his friends that he hasn't changed...much. He should get to know how they're doing, too.