Reviews for stars and sun
bavaria44 chapter 1 . 9/30
Perfection. Loved it. You write like a poet. Love it. And I would love an entire series of this, historical AC sounds far better than that alien-mumbo-jumbo in the original games to me.
Arya May chapter 1 . 1/18/2014
This. This is amazing.

And now that you mention it- take out the sci-fi and add in religion, and what is Altair BUT a terrorist?
anne192 chapter 1 . 4/14/2013
Beautiful. Just beautiful. I love this introspective view of the Creed, of AC1 in its time with religion a key factor to the cultures then. I have no words to say at how much a masterpiece reading this felt.
Tex Shadows chapter 1 . 9/20/2011
This was pretty amazing, I must say.
KrnYong chapter 1 . 9/18/2011
I really like this; all of the beautiful, vivid imagery makes it very real. I also like how it is closer to the historical Assassins, who were radical muslims... I also found it funny that in modern day terms, Altair would be a terrorist XD
Menamebephil chapter 1 . 9/17/2011
But I /liked/ the aliens. They're the goofiest thing since The Goofy Movie.

Thien chapter 1 . 8/30/2011
Of all the stories in this fandom that I've read, this might be the most special yet. With writing almost like poetry, the delving into religion conveniently neglected in canon, and sun and desert, what you've created here is a world not only can be seen, but also felt. I can almost breathe in the sand and wind, and feel the scorching heat at my back. It is a world that's magnificent and frightening at the same time.

Also equally frightening in this is your version of Altair. Strength and talents pale in comparison to his unflinching conviction. It's interesting to see how the Creed doesn't really matter here, only He. Disconnected, Altair's truly above earthly human now (or at least that's what he thinks). I love the last scene, despite the simplicity of words, it is in contrast so much more powerful, while at the same time, gives new insights to the Leap of Faith, in both its name and significance.

I am in awe. Beautiful work!
skywalker05 chapter 1 . 8/16/2011
This was a triumph. That first section. It's poetry. It has rhythm like footsteps.

"His children mourn him with all the bedlam of a madhouse" *strangled noises of amazement*

The whole third part is frightening and blisteringly deserty and "It is the most frightening thing in the world. It is the most beautiful thing he's ever seen." is, yes, that is how life is. And then the religious reference after, just, perfect.

You really create this great sense of culture, of sun-drenched gods coming out of barren lands, and fanfic needs more of that. You've created this whole way to see the world independent of Assassin's Creed, and yet the Creed is essential. Great job.

"At the edge of a cliff, he climbs a tower." is great in its simplicity, its economy. There is indeed no sci-fi there.

I am speechless and you are making me want to write.
Icequeen chapter 1 . 7/24/2011
I felt like I needed to tell you how amazing this is. I'm with everyone else who's said that if this is you failing- my writing should be shoved under a carpet and burned. I really, really liked it and I think your characterization of Altair- from both this one-shot and Bitter Leaves- has always been excellent. I never saw him as religious- thanks, Ubisoft- but if I had to, I'd definitely see him like this. You pulled this off masterfully. I hope your muse for Bitter Leaves comes back soon- I love Isra and I would like to see a return of that crew.

Cheers. -Icequeen
words without chapter 1 . 7/17/2011
Purely from a writing standpoint this is beautiful. Gorgeous phrasing: "Allah is the voice in the desert..." and "Not all glass is clear" and, oh, just every other line in this is poetry. The image of the novices sent to wander the desert is fascinating and something I think I'll just start pretending is canon.

As for the religion aspect, it's certainly closer to real life than the game's sci fi (as much as I enjoyed the sci fi). Historical!Altair is equally a jerk but in different ways.
kerricarri chapter 1 . 6/28/2011
This actually fits the philosophical tone of the first game and its dreamy, smooth flow, with its religious imagery, makes for a very introspective Altair. His sights are always on something higher than any mere earthly thing. His solid and unnerving 'to the point of blindness' faith in his master and the Order and their mission makes a heck lot more sense from this unshakeable, religious fanaticism than from the Ubisoft stamped loyalty. Here Altair is loyal not to just ideals or to a man but to a God, which makes his conviction honestly more scary. And the fanaticism of a man who's calmly unshakeable in faith and constantly in control of himself is more scary than some crazed, religious nut.

But all the same Altair himself is a fallible human and his trust was put into another fallible man, so he gets shanked by Al Mualim. I'm sure that betrayal would directly translate to a desire to ground the Order further into high pitched loyalty for God when Altair runs the show in an attempt to keep history from repeating itself by imposing infallibility onto one man. I wonder how Altair would view his somewhat amoral descendent a la Brotherhood when the Renaissance, however religiously inclined, helped bring the world out of that rigid Medieval mentality. Ezio is a product of his environment, so his Order is distinctly different in tone to that of the first game. Vengeance and righteous fury driven, even in its members. I bet this Altair would have a few words for that. Perhaps Revelations will show that culture shock in a midlife crisis Ezio when he goes chasing after Altair's footsteps, but knowing Ubisoft's tact religion will be played down. Still it's nice to muse.
Noor chapter 1 . 5/24/2011
I was very interested to see your take on a religion-heavy AC, and thought your interpretation of the new Creed was really well written. As I read, I wondered about how the leap of faith would tie in, and was happy you wrote about one in the last section.
daniero chapter 1 . 5/22/2011
You are such an amazing writer! Everything that you write always impresses me so much. Keep up the great work!
Xazz chapter 1 . 5/22/2011
Oh lorry mother of God this totally got to my fierce fascination of Islam and history. Just... all of it good and I don't have the words to describe how much I enjoy this story here.
screamingwindchime chapter 1 . 5/22/2011
Here I was, thinking, "Man, I've read all the good fanfictions" D:

Boy, was I wrong. Another fantastic piece, and I freaking hate you so much because you write so /well/ and I will never ever ever be able to. (Still love you though but alfkjdslfkdsjflsdfkj)

And don't you /dare/ say you're a total fail as a writer. If you're a total fail... then I'm what? Don't say that. You're an amazing writer.

I really really really really like the concept of this, and how you wrote it just makes it a million times better. Thank you for putting this up. :)