Reviews for After Life
Pyro's Apprentice chapter 1 . 10/17/2012
Wow, that struck home. One of my greatest fears is falling in love with someone with a different religion, and you wrote that fear into a story perfectly. I think the frequent breaks kept the story short, which is a plus in my book. I also liked the ending. Leaving it open was a good move, and the last line is really strong.

This story has a kind of sadness to it that's difficult to pinpoint, and I've noticed it with some of your other stories as well. It's not as deep and overpowering as melancholy, but it has the same sort of artistic quality to it. Or maybe I'm over thinking it.

The depth of the story as a whole is really impressive, and I can't believe you did it all in just a few pages of text. I'm not a particularly strong fan of Kent/Lyn, but that hardly matters; this story has so much more to offer than fluffy romance. I loved every bit of it.
SpeedDemon315 chapter 1 . 1/2/2012
Yes, you make up some excellent points regarding to the cultural, religious, etc. differences between Kent and Lyn and after reading this, that is exactly hpw imagined those differences to be and how Kent and Lyn dealt with them.

And the scene breaks weren't as bad you think. To me, if felt like Kent was recalling certain memories and all of them were in a long chain but there had to breaks in-between each chain. Something like that.

Anyway, keep up the wonderful writing! I always like reading your work.

SpeedDemon315
Bananafrak chapter 1 . 6/13/2011
The ending for this was done really well. I just love the last paragraph. The whole afterlife thing really makes you wonder thanks for writing this fic.
kageshoujo chapter 1 . 5/24/2011
hey there! dropping in for a review. First off I really wished this was longer-but, no matter, you have always done some very great short pieces and this is one of them. I agree with you that Kent and Lyn would have cultural differences, brought out well in this fic. Kent and Lyn were so believably in character.

In a related topic, from where I live, we actually have a real Mother Earth Father Sky legend, and so I'm wondering if FE ever got THAT from our culture, haha.
TheFreelancerSeal chapter 1 . 5/23/2011
Once again, your pieces are short but they say all that they need to say. I mean, I would have liked to see longer sections, but it still works. It's an interesting piece too, and it does make sense that Lyn and Kent would disagree about something like this since they grew up in different cultures. Like Kent, I'm also wondering about whether they'll meet again, so you got me into your story as you always do. Well done.
Raphiael chapter 1 . 5/22/2011
uhhhh I'm gonna put this on the right story now.

I really love the concept of this, and the way you executed it as well. At first I wasn't sure about the idea of Sacaeans not believing in an afterlife, but the way you worked it, the absolute belief Lyn had in that and the way you didn't paint either view as being "wrong" really sold it for me. I think the short snippets actually really contribute to the movement of the story, and I quite liked that element.

I think the only thing that didn't work for me was the way Kent's beliefs so closely mirrored Christian ones, with very little variance. It was a little hard for me to get behind, and despite being a less "foreign" concept to my mind, Kent's beliefs didn't feel quite as fitting as Lyn's to me here.

But overall this was really good, and you're far too hard on yourself :3
Mark of the Asphodel chapter 1 . 5/22/2011
Well, this piece worked pretty well for me. I like how Kent's attempt at reassurance after the death of their daughter was a tipping point. Both of their attitudes seemed realistically drawn- Lyn matter-of-fact, and Kent... yearning, seeking reassurance on some level. And the Mother Earth/Father Sky myth reminded me of the Egyptian myth of Geb and Nut, which even though the genders are reversed there has that same kind of eternal longing that disturbs Kent so.

The structure was a little odd at first, but I got used to it by the end. Basically, I liked this very much, and I thought it was solid treatment of such sensitive material.
Animajunki1230 chapter 1 . 5/21/2011
that was... wow man very deep. and you know ,that is an age old question isn't ? but we never really know till it happens I like how you portrayed that in this story.
The Social Heretic chapter 1 . 5/21/2011
Excellent fic, it was most interesting to see something a little different from the norm. I respect that.

And what with all the talk of "The End of the World" this seems mildly ironic.

While the constant breaks were slightly distracting, it was hardly a serious problem.

-Mav