Reviews for Standing on the Edge of Forever
Rinerion chapter 1 . 5/22/2011
So, you've written a Merlin who is crazy powerful, a Merlin who is hilarious and somewhat immature, a Merlin who needs saving, etc., but this is by far my favorite of your Merlins. There is something entirely human about him here, which is an aspect of Merlin that seems to get overlooked a lot. Also, you have had him be saved and do the saving, but I really love Arthur and Merlin just mentally/of-course-not-emotionally-because-men-don't-do-that interacting at a time when one or the other really needs it. We get Merlin being their for Arthur in the show, so it was nice to see the other side of things here.

As always, your characterizations are spot on for the situation you put them in. Arthur being concerned and only really knowing how to express that by yelling after the fact, and Merlin not really knowing his own mind were both just perfect.

As a sidenote, mentally messed up Merlin is my headcanon (when you think of what he's done and been done to him, it is really the only possibility), so hooray for more of that!

My only complain was that is wasn't longer, but I think, given the quality, I can overlook that.
Owl Watcher chapter 1 . 5/22/2011
Wow. That was intense...but not intense. I don't know what that was! Very well written.
sesshouluver chapter 1 . 5/22/2011
Nice! I liked the confusion and the open ending...it was like the readers' decision. Well done!
L.A.H.H chapter 1 . 5/22/2011
I guess it was angsty, but it was also kind of happy because of how obvious it was that Arthur was worried about him. Loved reading it. x
Emachinescat chapter 1 . 5/22/2011
Brilliant! Angsty and beautifully written! Really thought provoking, too, and you have their characters down perfectly! Bravo! :) As always, you NEVER fail to disappoint! ;)
Ph0enix-Flyer chapter 1 . 5/22/2011
Wow, that was certainly a very good bit of angst.

I can understand why Merlin would sometimes think about 'getting away from it all', considering the sacrifices he's had to make and the burdens he has to carry; it's a wonder the kid hasn't snapped under it all - greater men than him have.

"You've forgotten to clean my boots, and a guard saw – MERLIN!"

I think Arthur just about had kittens right there and for some strange reason, I found it oddly funny, despite there being no humour there. It's odd the way you find moments like that in more melancholy stories.

I can't imagine how he must have been feeling when he saw that: what kind of things must have gone through his mind?

Are you gonna do Arthur's POV at all?

XD :D XD
LeggyLulu chapter 1 . 5/22/2011
Interesting... definitely a bit different but I could really understand how Merlin felt, relating to that sorcerer in a way that only Merlin could. Wonder why inspired this, hmm..you climb something super high while camping and became morbid, because heights totally make me feel that way when I'm not cowering in fear and after I get up the courage to appreciate the view. I guess falling off something tall could possibly be one of the least-bad ways to die. Its not drowning or getting stabbed, or going down in a flaming plane for that matter.

See, now I'm being all morbid too haha.

Anyway...I also enjoyed a panicked Arthur. Nice dose of angst!

-LL
Time and Fate chapter 1 . 5/22/2011
That was fantastic. A little bit terrifying, but so completely true. Merlin's had to have seen a few executions by now aside from that first one. He mustfeel some sort of bond with them, understand that could be his fate someday. A wonderful look into his head there
TheWeepingAngel chapter 1 . 5/22/2011
Wow, that was really deep. I liked seeing (or reading in this case) Merlin with a darker thoughts. Is there any way that you could do a companion fic and write what Arthur was thinking? That would be pretty awesome.
Princess of the Mer-Rebels chapter 1 . 5/22/2011
Wonderful. I love the look at Merlin's personality!
Guest chapter 1 . 5/22/2011
Poor Arthur. I had a friend who used to try to get attention by suggesting she was suicidal, and I remember it scared me, because I couldn't be sure she wasn't serious. And I had never been told that you were supposed to go to an adult at once... I would just try to give her good, rational, calm advice and hope someone who knew better would take charge and help me.

It was so scary- I'm sure Arthur was having similar thoughts, but worse, cuz Merlin was literally standing on the edge.

Suicide, Merlin, is a very bad idea, and socially unacceptable. Why would you want to jump, you idiot? That would be bad, as you said.

I really liked this, though I'm not really sure what made him feel so suicidal.

"the white cobblestones of Camelot were still stained a little red, no matter how much anyone scrubbed."

Uh, ew?
IceCreamDoodle13 chapter 1 . 5/22/2011
Fantastic story. Perfectly written. I love...well, everything. The way you write Merlin's confusion and mood especially. And Arthur being afraid. Truly phenomenal :D
Sydelle Rein chapter 1 . 5/22/2011
Hm. Good. A very thought-provoking fic. I like it. You know, you're one of the few author's who is fantastic at writing both the best humor fics and the best angst fics. Normally authors are really good at one or the other, but I really like the variety of your fics. :)

Syd
AquaRibbon chapter 1 . 5/22/2011
Holy crap, that was so emotional. Merlin's contemplation, resignation, indecision (or I don't even know exactly what it was), and Arthur's fear! I loved it.

Was Merlin jumping a metaphor for him revealing his secret to Arthur I wonder?
Jissai chapter 1 . 5/22/2011
"Fall?" Merlin said. It was the first time the thought had occurred to him. He could fall. He was clumsy, after all, very much so. All it would take was leaning his weight the smallest bit in the wrong direction and he would be gone, pulled away just like the sorcerer had been. He twitched his head to the side, "Falling would be bad."

chilling, and so deep. Man this is awesome. write more!
120 | « Prev Page 1 .. 5 6 7 8