Reviews for All the Truth You Can Believe
AngelAdept chapter 1 . 10/11/2011
So this is when Gregor got the lecture on honor versus reputation. It fits very well. This is a very well-written story!
Kelmin chapter 1 . 7/19/2011
Nicely done. I enjoyed that you brought in the famous "honor vs. reputation" lesson, which I have quoted many times in Real Life.
Kettricken chapter 1 . 6/22/2011
Lovely work, this reads very Bujold indeed (particularly that chessboard analogy) and your Gregor is perfectly in voice. I thought your Count Vorkosigan was maybe... a little too open with Gregor? But otherwise this was awesome, thanks for writing!
GoldenRoya chapter 1 . 6/1/2011
"If Miles was a pawn, he'd talk both sides into a peace treaty, rewrite the rules, and take over the chessboard in five moves." - Five moves? That many, eh? EPIC description. Truly epic.

And now on to the meat of the story: Aral in father mode and Gregor taking another step towards becoming the man that Miles honors so highly. I think, truly, that Gregor's highest ambition is to become a man like Aral Vorkosigan. Aral's ability to tell a hurting young man who has lashed out in anger (and with Gregor's power, nearly lethal consequences) not only that it is alright, but going on to bare his soul to show him WHY it's alright, is astounding. Aral is truly a man who embodies honor, and the way you show that is breathtaking.

But also, I think, you've made him human. To Miles, his father was always larger than life. Here - when Gregor absolves Aral's greatest sin, his most secretly held dishonor (well, one of them, anyway) - the 'relaxing shoulders' bit was perfect, spot-on. The great man holds great hurts, and to have his sin known and forgiven, to be told, 'It is enough. Well done,' - I think all human beings want to hear those words, to know that they are enough, that they are not judged. We all forget this, about Aral, from time to time. Through Miles' eyes, he is a living ideal. What a burden it must be, to carry the weight of the next generations' accolades on ones shoulders. To be THE "Vor," the living embodiment of all that is meant by that honorific.

And truly, I think one of the best lines in here is "If every man on Barrayar believed you unfit to be the Emperor, it would not change for one moment the fact that their hands are between yours, and their lives belong to you, and you ARE the Emperor." Gave me shivers to read. It's made my Quote Board - do you mind if I utilize it sometime? It's too perfect to not use. I also very much loved the line where Aral claims Gregor for his son. I don't think LMB has spent nearly enough time on that relationship - I'm so grateful that such a talented writer as you has undertaken to correct this lack.

This is an incredible, incredible story. I've reread it several times before daring to review, given that I've only got the one shot at it. I've had it running through my head for a couple of days now. Truly, truly amazing. Brava.
Thobbit chapter 1 . 5/31/2011
"If Miles was a pawn, he'd talk both sides into a peace treaty, rewrite the rules, and take over the chessboard in five moves." -Best. (Wholly Accurate) Description. Ever.

And the rest of it, of course, adorable and sweet and happy-making.
Vivtek chapter 1 . 5/26/2011
Ah, so he did remember that. One never knows, with young people.

This is truly *fantastic*, by the way. Here's hoping your Muse lets you keep it up!
Sinkapoa chapter 1 . 5/26/2011
Wow wow wow! What else is there to say?
Circakona chapter 1 . 5/25/2011
::teary snuffle::

How am I supposed to go back to studying my medical coding after reading this? How? :)