Reviews for The Black Games
theScribblerWP chapter 37 . 12/6/2015
wow. holy shit. I'm speechless.

I just finished the Black Games...and...and...Omfg I don't know where to even start.

Everything about this story was so well planed. It had everything. It made me fall in love with a charcater and then shattered me to pieces when they were killed - I both and hate and love you for this. It made me question my predictions, how I though things would turn out, and practically every move and every word and every reaction of the characters. I could never be certain. There was always a twist, always a new thrill developing and unfolding right before my eyes. It wasn't - as many people have already commented on - a carbon copy of the hunger games. It was you taking the idea of the hunger games and the atla world and mashing them together and creating something so freakishly original and unique and incredibly captivating.

And oh my god. Zutara in this was just...phenomenal. They didn't fall too fast for each other. They didn't just look into each other's eyes and fall in love (well, not a first I mean). They looked into each other's eyes and began to understand each other. They saw something in each other that intrigued them and despite the situation and their judgement, it made them stick together. In the beginning they were allies. But as they faced more and more things together and when time after time they saved each other, they were no longer allies. They were becoming something more. Not exactly friends, but something both less and more than that, something that I can't really seem to define. There is not one word to describe what they were to each other. They were just Zuko and Katara, the same Zuko and Katara we all know in love who gradually developed this need to care for and protect each other. You could not have portrayed them better than you did. And that hug. I loved the kiss too (it was so intense and yet his words were so tender and soft), but that hug...oh my god that hug. I don't think I'll ever get over it. That and their last last words to each other...

I loved how you incorporated some cannon into this without detering from the originality in this new plot you created. Even though everyone has already seen the moments from the show, you incorporated them in a way that nobody could have guessed they were coming.

I'm excited to begin reading the sequel, but ugh...I still need some time to get over Zuko's death and Sokka's too. When Sokka died, I know that part of Katara died with him, but I'm pretty sure some of me did too.

And one more thing, I almost forgot. I loved how you portrayed Katara in the final chapter. The arena changed her and you did an amazing job with presenting her emotions and how she was adjusting back into the real world.

But hold on a moment...what is this with Katara thinking about brining Zuko back...like, it this just her mind denying that he's gone or...can she really do it? God, it's killing me. I thought Zuko was gone and now there might be a chance that he could come back. You're really playing with my emotions here.
Guest chapter 37 . 12/3/2015
Is it normal to get a nose bleed while crying? Because this story made that happen. This is the 1st time I read a true AU fic... and boy am I glad I read it! You succeeded in combining my 2 most favourite things in the world: THG and ATLA (and Zutara ofc... so is that 3 things?) The fact that all of the characters were in character, and also the blend of references to both THG AND ATLA scenes, seriously made my ovaries explode.
This fic just made me feel such a thrill that not many fics deliver. Before reading it, I heard many people argue about Katara being too OOC (and acting more like Katniss), but honestly I found Katara's character amazing! It was like she was in 'Southern Raiders Mode' for a whole fic... I LOVED IT!
Each character's death really hit me though... I guess I've grown attached to them. But DAMN did I cry when Sokka died!ยก! And when Katara found Aang's whistle! You really know how to break a reader don't you?
I so pumped for "The Rise of One"... but PLEASE BRING ZUKO BACK! I swear if he doesn't come back then you'll face my wrath!
You are a TRULY BRILLIANT WRITER, and Suzanne Collins and Bryke better watch out because they've got some competition ;)

PS: When Katara stabbed Zuko in the heart, she stabbed my heart too...
lithriel23 chapter 37 . 11/30/2015
I loved it soooooo much. The relationships were all so deep and complicated. I loved his you didn't shy away from the feelings of anguish and the trauma. On one hand I'm happy Katara came out on top. It makes the most sense to have Zuko be the one to not survive. But only because he couldn't be healed but he would not recover like Katara.
But it did make me unbelievably sad that Zuko had to die.
I could not put the story down. I had to finish reading it. You're writing style is amazing and I will definitely be looking for anything else you write.
BRAVO!
me chapter 22 . 11/7/2015
EEEEEEH AZULA MAI AND TY LEE ARE LEFT SO PUMPED SO PUMPED
me chapter 12 . 11/7/2015
EEEEEEH! I'M FREAKING OUT ABOUT ZUKO!
me chapter 11 . 11/7/2015
bro this story is so good omg
Guest chapter 4 . 11/6/2015
I love this story. It grips me more than the actual Hunger Games because I am attached to all of the tributes. I want them all to win and can't imagine them being killed by each other. I understand from other commenters that Katara wins... I guess in my own AU I would have made Toph the winner. I mean, let's face it, she was the biggest badass in atla history.
Thanks for writing! It's great :)
Guest chapter 1 . 11/3/2015
Was gonna read this but I checked the reviews and it came to my attention that you are the human embodiment of the devil. And I don't even believe in the guy!
Melly chapter 36 . 10/26/2015
I am so upset right now
steph chapter 37 . 10/21/2015
Wow. It may be because I'm currently stuck in bed with literally the worst flu episode I've had in eight years, and have been down for days, so a bit emotional...
This gripped me from the beginning to the end. I've smiled, tensed, felt sick to my stomach, almost cried, and have now been baffled for the last two chapters.
I think all the other reviews have pointed out what I could say better than I can.
Thanks. Now I have to check about that sequel because a dumb part of my brain still hopes Katara can find a way to bring back Zuko - all while another part of me would probably resent such an unlikely turn of events but God do I wish he could be brought back!
Sokka's death broke my heart. Ty Lee's sickened me. Toph's I worked around thinking she may or may not have scurried away unseen. But Zuko's death at Katara's hand left me metaphorically and psychologically reeling. I understand your logical point. I just struggle understanding how Katara would have made this logic hers unless she is pretty sure she could fix it, I just don't see her killing Zuko even to save him the suffering, not after she's decided how important his life is for the whole world.

Anyway. My vision is blurring so let's leave it here with a massive Thank you for an epic read, akin to stormbenders and his majesty prefers blue.
rainyleafxoxo chapter 37 . 10/17/2015
I just read this through in one day and words can not even describe this story. I haven't been that affected by the deaths for the most part, and I didn't cry or tear up during Sokka and Zuko's death, but I now find myself finally crying as I read the ending. This is just such a beautiful story. Not in a happy, sunshine-like beautiful way, but more like a tragically beautiful moment. Thank you for writing this.
kayathedragon chapter 37 . 10/1/2015
YOU ARE SO CRUEL. YOU ARE SO CRUEL I DONT BELIEVE THIS

I WONT ACCEPT IT. THAT'S WHY IM DEFINITELY READING THE NEXT ONE BECAUSE IM IN DENIAL. HE WILL BE JUST FINE YOU WAIT AND SEE

I DONT CARE IF SHE STABBED HIM HE'S FIIIIIINNNNNEEE
kayathedragon chapter 36 . 10/1/2015
n oOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOoooOOOOOOOOOOO I HATE THIS YOU NEED TO BE STOPPED

I'M GOING TO READ THE REST OF THIS AU BECAUSE I LOVE IT
kayathedragon chapter 30 . 10/1/2015
I am going to be s o. a ngr y if you kill Zuko. You can't throw this chapter in here and then do that. I have no idea how you're going to end this and iT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY. I AM SO PARANOID A OV E I T.
Guest chapter 26 . 10/1/2015
I ALMOST HAD A HEART ATTACK BECAUSE I THOUGHT ZUKO STABBED SOKKA AT FIRST AND I WAS GOING TO CRY I WAS SO ANGRY AT YOU but then it was just Jet so yeah he can die lol

But wow that was intense.
1,864 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 .. Last Next »