Reviews for The House That Jack Built
immajedibabe chapter 26 . 1/23
So. This was one of the best fics I have ever had the pleasure to read. It was amazing. I loved it. I cried, I laughed, I was sad when it was over. Thanks so much for writing it.
KenzieMac chapter 26 . 10/17/2013
This is absolutely incredible. I don't think I have ever been so into a story before. You conveyed Jack's and Jeannie's emotions so well and I felt myself feeling the anger, the jealousy, the despair, the grief. Throughout the entire story I fine well knew how it would turn out but I still found myself rooting for the Napiers to have a happy ending. I cried during the last few chapters, and I have never cried at a story before.
Everything about this was just phenomenal. Especially the character development; you could see the cracks beginning to appear, and it was just amazing how we began to watch Jeannie and Jack slowly but surely go insane.
One thing I am a little bit unsure of; at the end of chapter 22, was Jeannie imagining those voices? And who had done that to the door? Was Sal involved?
Other than that, just...incredible.
dalbertaco chapter 26 . 9/19/2013
I had been thinking of writing my own Joker origin story for a while now and thought I'd read around to see what others had done. Suffice it to say the last four hours have passed in the blink of an eye and having reached the end I am stunned. A few disagreements with characterisation and character motivations aside, I really liked this story and merely joined to write this review. Thank you for an entertaining, emotional and dramatic story. Much as I'd love to wax lyrical about what I loved I'm afraid my praises will cross the line into baseless tautology. Well done and I do hope I can read more of your work - whatever and wherever it is.
avalise chapter 26 . 5/9/2013
WOW. Just, wow. This is the best origin story of the Joker I've read on here yet. You've put such thought into this, and it's evident from beginning to end. I was so excited every time you managed to weave in references from the comic books, the animated series, Mask of the Phantasm… just, guh! And all of the Killing Joke references! You've blended the atmosphere of that story with yours so well. Everything is just utterly fantastic.

You seem so passionate about these characters and it pours right through all of your words. This story has a lot of heart, and the last few chapters were SO powerful. You made Jack and Jeannie such well-rounded and deep characters. Their relationship was realistic to those real-life toxic ones – bliss one moment and then absolute hatred the next. Jack and Jeannie had flaws yet so many strengths. They were like real people. What makes me enjoy a story is realistic and great characters. You totally nailed it. Even the children and neighbors were great to read. No one came off as flat or anything less than three dimensional.

I can't thank you enough for writing and taking the time to share this story. This made my little fan heart melt. I've fallen so hard for the bat fandom this year, and this was just the thing I needed to feed that addiction. Now, I just want to see how you write the Joker as the Joker! I'm looking forward to that because you write so well! Such fluidity to your writing, and all of your characters are, again, so very real.

My world has stopped the past two days just to continue reading this. You have a great talent and thank you so much for sharing! I look forward to reading more work from you.
x XRoweenaJAugustineX x chapter 26 . 3/25/2013
This is so terribly perfect! D': and :'D
it was edgy, it was sad, it was heartbreaking, it was crazy, it was beautiful! This is an amazingly well written, well thought out, well executed story, seriously :D You made me love the Joker...Wow...though I wish this story had a much happier ending, there is something refreshing and unique about this "makes you wanna curl up in a ball and cry" ending :D lovely lovely story, be Very proud of yourself
AtticusLegend chapter 1 . 11/5/2012
I'm really liking your Joker origin story, while I admit that it has been done before and blah blah blah I'm still impressed, your story is very different. Great spelling, few mistakes and very well written characters.

You ever thinking about branching out of the Batman universe, not that you need to, this is entertaining!
Jenicide24 chapter 26 . 10/28/2012
OmiGOSHHH! I started reading this story a while back and I love love love how you finished it. PLEASE CONTINUE IT! To think that Jeanie might be in the asylum the WHOLE time? *get on knees and begs* please, I'd love to see more! Truly inspirational! BRAVO!
Gideon Moriattis chapter 26 . 10/15/2012
Thank you.
I love you.
Lovelovelovelovelove.
Marry me?

-GM
C. S. Tolkien chapter 26 . 10/14/2012
Very good, no one try to write something about the Joker past, in the Batman Animated Series, Jack was a ganster before being the Joker.

And the Nolan version the Joker past is a mystery, great fic.
TheMadFiddler chapter 26 . 10/13/2012
This was just...I commend you. If there ever were to be another "Joker's Past" comic book (or movie) I'd honestly want this to be it (with elements of this story not being true put in, of course. I do enjoy the "multiple choice" aspect of his memories and love the idea of all of this being a delusion, and a hint at the newspaper that he read being the spur of his false memories). But yes, awesomely done. One of the better Batman fanfictions I've read.
Thank you.

-M
Anonymous Rex chapter 26 . 10/8/2012
And thank you for writing this story! I said it before, and I'll say it again, this is probably my favorite origin for the Joker; just simply magnificent. If you write a sequel, you can be sure that I will follow it, and leave reviews.
As always, keep writing!
FairyHedgehog chapter 26 . 10/8/2012
Wow, what an ending. One of the best fanfictions I've ever seen on here without a doubt. As for a sequel, I'm more than content for you to leave it like this. I would definitely enjoy one if you wrote it though, and have complete faith that it would be just as good as it's predecessor. I hope you write more Batman stuff in future. :)
EthanFlux chapter 26 . 10/7/2012
I am sure, that if we were all part of a group that lived close together, every one of us reviewers and readers would be throwing you a party in honour of your completion or, dare I say it, triumph!

This epiloge opens up a sequel nicely and really had me hooked. The Joker is in and Jack is out. Or is he? I can see many roads for you to walk in the sequel, and I hope there is one. But, even when (and I mean WHEN) you write one, don't answer every question. It is the best way to finish off with a character like Joker, but I think you already know that.

I'm glad to have met a friend like you. You are not crazy. You're just part of a group who can talk about these things with such ease. It is a rare trait, and you have plenty of it. Thanks for calling me 'exceptional'. I won't accept that, mainly because I am very modest. The one thing I loved about this story was how seriously you took it. You didn't treat it like a one-off that would never see the light of day, or a daydream fantasy about something small that barely fits a page. You made 26 chapters of pure golden story. It was something you saw and wanted to change and you did it with everything you had while others are happy to just copy and paste. I look forward to another 26 chapters with you and your characters.

For the final time for this story; bravo...and I hope to see your NEXT chapter.
kendramccormick chapter 26 . 10/7/2012
Yes, I would definitely be interested in a sequel. Wow. Just when I thought this story couldn't possibly get any more shocking, Jeannie is alive?! You really know how to go out with a bang. You rock, Keywee!
Nicki chapter 25 . 10/6/2012
Damn it, I'm so sad to see this end! But this was such a beautifully written story. Ever since I read the Killing Joke I wanted to read more about who the Joker was and what drove him to becoming this mass murdering clown. Your story fulfilled all my curiousity and then some. I loved the idea that Jack had a family and was semi normal before becoming the Joker. The thought that he was driven to madness by the loss of his wife and children make the Joker as a character more human to me. I love the picture of when Joker sees himself after the chemical spill for the first time. I do think you could do a sequel to this. The death of his family would probably always haunt Jack/Joker, and I would love to see your take on Harley Quinn's and his relationship. I could see him finding a lot of similarities between her and Jeannie.