Reviews for Fallen Star
oceanfloor1 chapter 23 . 10/15
Great example of multiplying conflicts for a character to maximize the drama! Jane would still have to reconcile Destroyer sending Loki with more than a friend Fenris even if she hadn't been so attracted to Thor that he functions like a romantic high pressure front. But Jane hyperventilates every time Loki's name is mentioned. It's hard enough to be angry at someone you love without having to figure out exactly who he is in order to decide whether you should love him at all. It doesn't help when he's hiding out because he's afraid you hate him.

Frigga and Odin are having none of this extended avoidance behavior. Loki's mom settles Jane in the Loki-designed Cosmos Room so she can contemplate Asgardian constellations he told her about on its star-studded ceiling. Odin continues to be just wonderful here. Having observed via Heimdallvision just how much Loki loves this lady, he gets her to tell him the amazing story of how this came about, reasonably explains the behavior she questions, confesses to having hid the truth of Loki's birth from him ("when is ever the perfect time to ruin everything?"), adds sympathetic details ("they just left him there?") of how difficult it was for him to not know why he was different, and assures her that Loki cares for her but fears she will despise him for Thor's sake. But she's still wearing that Lokistone - so all is not lost! And yes, she is beginning to think about what actually happened, when before she was just hurting and spinning around in circles emotionally.

Well, we all got to see Destroyer-wielding lying-to-Thor and nearly-nuking-Jotunheim Loki first and came to love him anyway - in many cases, with Alydia's help in recognizing what was actually going on. Jane will just have to pull it together and get with the program, won't she.
loki smaug chapter 3 . 10/9
Awwwww Loki
loki smaug chapter 2 . 10/9
Pobre Loki
loki smaug chapter 1 . 10/9
uwu uwu uwu Loki
oceanfloor1 chapter 22 . 10/6
Here are all the things we saw and understood about "Thor" (no matter who else ignored it) in one beautifully written confrontation between the brothers. How Loki always assumes there's no point arguing because Thor and others have made up their minds about him. Why he let the Frost Giants into the weapons vault. That he did not urge Thor to go to Jotunheim. That he went along to try to prevent conflict and protect the others. That he was shocked at Thor's banishment. Why he told Thor Odin was dead. (A miscalculation - Thor would have kept pleading to return indefinitely if he knew Odin lived.) Why he intended to destroy Jotunheim. (Though I think he would have crippled it militarily instead had he not given way to despair.) That he felt despised in Asgard, but had no plans to harm it. That Thor's "death" via the Destroyer was a "kingship worthiness" test that needed to be in the movie. And that he really did just want to be Thor's equal, and his brother, and a son, and an Aesir. And here that is accepted and returned by Thor, without Loki having to die.
seriously girl you must be a Christian! :) #prodigalsonreference
oceanfloor1 chapter 21 . 9/27
Odin radiates such serenity here. For over 1,000 years he's tried to understand his adopted child - then in the course of one battle learns all he needs to know to love his son completely. I'm a bit wary of "didn't have to do anything"; in that case he would not have hesitated in the relic hall or on the Bridge. But we know who a person is because of what we see them do, and Odin has just seen the essence of Loki, what he loves and will fight to the death to defend. He is content.

Thor, though he has proven himself worthy and knows about the Jotun adoption, the battle with Doom, the return of the tesseract, and Jane's rescue, will take more time because he always needs things spelled out for him or irrefutably demonstrated as in "Dark World". (Not surprised they deleted the scene where he chastises Frigga for refusing to abandon Loki.) He's also "confused" - that's polite for jealous, Thor - about Loki and Jane, having also heard Heimdall's description of the meteor-shower flight. (Love that Odin is so discreet!)

Frigga is not the least confused. (No more than she was n the day Odin brought Loki home talking about joining kingdoms through him and she said, "this is a baby not a bargaining chip".) She knows that the magic of the Lokistone is his love for Jane. But poor Jane is in total turmoil. She nearly died! Thor is here and she loves Thor! but also Fenris? but Fenris is Loki! she fears Loki! but Loki saved her! What a maze of conflicts we have entered, and how will they sort this all out?
Wolf Huntress Silver Blood chapter 27 . 9/23
I think that words are best described through memes so

search?eiI1HHWZe3OcrPmwHsh63oCA&qturnupthevolumememe&oqturnupthrmeme&gs_lmobile-gws-serp.1.1.0i8i13i10i30k1j0i8i13i30k1l2.15381.21399.0.23..2752.1j16j2.19.0...0...1.1j4. -gws-serp..11.13.1980...0j0i67k1j0i7i30k1j0i7i10i30k1j0i13k1j0i13i30k1. #imgrcA2jFiKekAV1hGM:

THIS WAS THE GREATEST SHIT IVE EVER READ! I LOVE IT! THANK YOU AUTHOR I SHALL FOLLOW YOU WITH TEARS AND HAPPINESS FOR EVERY STORY YOU WRITE ON!
Wolf Huntress Silver Blood chapter 26 . 9/23
OH MAH GAAAAAWD THAT WAZ SO BUTIFUL! MY LIL BABY LOKI AND THEN THE FLOWER AND THE KISS AND SHE LUV HIM SO MUCH I JUS I CANT *INCOHERENT SOBBING WORDS*
Wolf Huntress Silver Blood chapter 24 . 9/23
THE FEELS ARE STRONG WITH THIS ONE.
Wolf Huntress Silver Blood chapter 21 . 9/23
Sigh...Im happy she's okay, but my Loki... will be alone...my poor lil Loki.
oceanfloor1 chapter 20 . 9/16
This is the antidote for my dislike of movie Odin. Blind to Thor's bellicosity he obviously brushed off Loki's concerns, driving the prince to subterfuge that blew up in everyone's face. Odin's rage at Thor on behalf of "the loved ones you have betrayed" may refer to Loki, but his response to the Jotun secret being revealed feels stilted and defensive. His dismay at what follows is understandable but he must see that disclosing Loki's parentage right when Thor and Laufey had re-ignited the war would put him at grave risk. (I think Sif might have denounced him as one of those "traitors" Laufey spoke of.) In the end Odin abandons Loki - and that makes Thor's fawning over him as the perfect father downright cringe-worthy.

But here Odin is everything he should be. He rescued the son of his bitterest enemy and is now genuinely grieved, struggling to understand his adopted son, and finally, desperately wishing to help Loki battle Doom. How thrilled he must be at the words, "We are finished here!" and Loki's epic defeat of the ruthless sorcerer. It tells him everything he needs to know and that joy makes him able to tell Loki wholeheartedly and convincingly that he loves him. Loki was prepared to give up everything to save Jane's life and now instead he has what he needed most, knowing that his father does love him.
"Isn't that what you wanted?" The best thing about this moment in this thrilling battle scene is that it WAS what Loki wanted when he landed on Midgard two months ago. He has spent that time learning otherwise, and now he is fighting to save everything that he thought he wanted to destroy. Jane, once merely "that woman", a mortal pawn to him, now the woman he loves (his tears of rage in "Thor" now turned to anguish for her). But he would betray that love by condemning Asgard to destruction to save her. He knows he has to fight for her and everyone else he loves. Thor's winning of his kingship test and fight to save Jotenheim was dramatic but utterly predictable. This is real, breathtaking drama.
oceanfloor1 chapter 18 . 9/8
I had to remember to keep the context of who Loki is in Jane's mind: the ruthless, treacherous brother who "killed" Thor with the Destroyer and may have finished him off on the Asbru Bridge, who nearly destroyed Jotunheim, who would use the Cube to rule over Asgard and Earth, who deceives and manipulates and cannot be trusted. Loki has gently tried to modify this impression somewhat, but he keeps running into the cognitive roadblock in Jane's mind that is Thor. Loki's creation of his "Fenris" persona was so convincing - probably because it contained so much of his normal self when removed from the pressures of his life in Asgard - that Jane can't integrate any of his Loki one. (And it is a pity she can't appreciate the vision of Fenris morphing into Prince Loki Odinson in his full court armor.) Her trusted friend, the dawning of love, all suddenly torn away and leaving her frightened and heartsick. Loki cannot do anything to counter this without betraying them both to Doom, believing his feigned indifference to Jane will keep her safe. But he is wrong.
oceanfloor1 chapter 17 . 9/5
In chapter 6, Loki reacts to Erik, Jane and Darcy treating the mythological version of Balder's death as fact, his voice "slithering through the air like chains on stone", the rage and pain palpable as he rips them for their ignorance. Now we know why.

This chapter was so painful to read the first time, as whenever a character you care about has to endure terrible suffering. It hasn't gotten much easier. Thor and Loki were little boys when Balder was born. Even with the extended Asgardian ageing, with Balder just coming "of age", Loki is hardly more than a boy himself. We know how and why he became so marginalized that when he discovered the ominous changes in his little brother he could turn to no one close to him for help and they all assumed his guilt, refused even to listen. He is saved only by Thor's desperate need to understand and willingness to listen after he is struck by venom and Loki fears he's hurt, apologizes for moving, and then must face the anguish of Heimdall's truth - Balder's betrayal and the near torture-murder of Loki for having been willing to die to save his life. But even then, in their grief and bewilderment, Loki is still shut out.

Odin and Frigg must know the meaning of Balder's threat to reveal "what you truly are".

I prefer to believe that Balder became mentally unbalanced instead of consciously, deliberately evil. (I lost a friend to a deranged child and saw the stunned anguish of a family coping with that.) Or maybe I just can't stand to think of another beautiful young person morphing into someone cold, calculating, and willing to hurt innocent people for gain.

In the scene in "Avengers" where Loki argues with "The Other" in Thanos' realm, just at the end as The Other threatens him with torture that will make him "long for something as sweet as pain", a giant snake slithers into the upper left corner of the screen...
2,166 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »