Reviews for Fallen Star
Lucia Deetz chapter 14 . 11/3/2017
This chapter reminds me of a scene in one of the earlier seasons of Game of Thrones. There's this noble-born kid who's trying to pass for a commoner, but her way of speaking gives her away. Someone points this out to her: "Lowborn girls say "m'lord", not "my lord". If you're going to pose as a commoner, you should do it properly."
Then this girl hits back with a: "My mother served Lady Dustin for many years, MY LORD. She taught me how to speak proper... properly."
The show could be a little less racy but this scene is one of my favorites, and it's not in the books.

And so Erik never took the bait! Loki looks like he's (legitimately) horrified at this prospect, but I bet that deep down he is grateful to him, especially because he desperately needs someone to trust him, to believe he's not the monster he thinks he is. His surprise is apparent in that "[...] and yet you trust me with this Cube". Erik's trust must mean so much because he cares a lot about Jane.

Now I'm wondering: who dug a massive hole into that truck and snatched the Ultimate Power Bank?
Great chapter!

Lucia Deetz chapter 13 . 11/2/2017
Balder - OMG! He's a snake in a bunny skin!

"[...] we could travel anywhere, see anything in the universe! Think of what we could discover, what we could create if we didn't have to worry about the distance or the boundaries or the—"
SHIELD may not share Jane's views, but I do. Space travel is a topic that fascinates me and the idea of having a source of unlimited energy, if something like the Tesseract existed, really tickles my mind. Unfortunately that would defy all known laws of physics, so we're stuck. Theoretically speaking though, I read in a book that we could travel time by taking advantage of wormholes - if they do exist - and the effect of time dilation. I often wonder if my generation will be able to witness another giant leap for manking, namely a manned Mars landing...
But something is rotten in the realm of Midgard and I can certainly understand SHIELD's views on the thing as well. When "unlimited power" is involved, even the most innocent mind can become greedy in a matter of seconds.
But enough of this rambling!

"I'll be here if any of you need me. Ciao."
Arrivederci! LOL (that's the word for "goodbye")

I loved Jane's determination here, the fact that she never gave up in spite of all the critics directed toward her and her research. In light of this, her overreaction seems totally normal and understandable.

The storytelling scene - so heart-warming! *starts singing* "I will go down with this ship..."

Lucia Deetz chapter 12 . 11/1/2017
That "Hello, Bird" and the following depiction of Balder put a big smile on my face because I started reading "Bauldr's Tears" today! I'm so happy you included him in this story. Butbutbut - why did Balder let Loki take the blame?! :( That was a brilliant explanation for Sif's hair, by the way.

"But those SHIELD bums said I wasn't going to get to see you, so I decided to take matters into my own hands."
And that's so Stark.

Loki and Tony exchanging experiences - what a chapter! They have chemistry, they could've been great friends in the movies if Loki weren't the "bad guy" and weren't so focused on throwing him out the window... I often wonder if he, Loki, eventually had that drink.

Tony is another favorite character of mine. Thank you for including him in the story, hopefully there'll be more of him in the next chapters!

Lucia Deetz chapter 11 . 10/31/2017
That flashback is officially canon for me.

I knew Loki would find a way to help Jane! We've had a clear sky for the whole month of August this year but I managed to catch only a couple of meteors. But what a sight!

I sense something is finally blooming between them...

Lovely chapter!

Lucia Deetz chapter 10 . 10/30/2017
"Woman," Loki narrowed his eyes. "You are insufferable."
I don't know why, but I sense that that is also meant as a compliment. Loki surely needs someone with quite a temper, and Jane seems to meet all the necessary requirements.

Uh-oh, Nick and Nat. I'm glad they didn't bring any trouble (and won't bring any in the future, I hope?).

Jane! For goodness sake! Never try to touch a wounded animal with bare hands, let alone an animal with teeth big and sharp enough to cause damage! And I'll say it again: someone should really confiscate her driver's license - she's a threat on the road. I'm sure Loki would be a better driver, let him take over - to use his own words, he's clearly the better pilot.

"How you are right," Loki murmured.
Ha!

Oh my, Frigg's scene. That is heartbreaking. This story keeps getting better and better!

Lucia Deetz chapter 9 . 10/30/2017
I often wondered - when does Loki celebrate birthday? The exact day of his birth, I mean. How can Odin know? Would they start counting the years from the day Odin picked him up from the temple in Jotunheim? His whole life has been a lie.

I felt so bad for Loki, left alone in the great hall.

"It isn't a history of Middle Earth—of Midgard?"
LOL. I can understand Loki's confusion here - Tolkien did indeed draw inspiration from the Norse myths, starting from that "Middle Earth".

"You don't like him very much."
Brillian deduction, Jane Watson.

That chain... it must be painful for him, not being able to take it off. Constantly reminding him of a brotherhood promise, reminding him he's not Thor's "blood" brother.

Another wonderful chapter!

oceanfloor1 chapter 25 . 10/28/2017
OMGosh now I don't want to drop spoilers for Lucia but it's probably too late for that!

Sometimes I think of Thor as "3 days behind" everyone else because of his Proving His Worthiness in New Mexico at the end 3 days of Jane, boilermakers, and thinking Odin was dead, then arriving back in Asgard completely unaware that Loki's life had been falling apart. But it really is lovely whenever he finally catches on to whatever is happening. ('Let's see... everything I'm excited about bores Jane. Everything Jane is fascinated by is Loki's. Is there something I'm missing here?') He's just so open and innocent about confessing it, and delighted when it turns out to not break Jane's heart but open the future up for her and Loki.

And Jane is so sensitive with poor Sif, who thinks her long journey of trying to win Thor is finally coming to a dead end. And Jane's so cute that she still can't bring herself to admit she loves Loki or believe that he loves her back until Sif says it! So now she's under orders by Warrior Lady Sif to clean up that helmet, go find Loki, and say YES.
Lucia Deetz chapter 8 . 10/29/2017
Awww the flashback moment!

"After what she had just seen in the tavern, she still wanted to make contact with the skin of his hands?"
And my feels go to the roof.

"I don't know if like is the word. But I do have a penchant for finding problems and not giving up until I work them out."
INTP. Jane seems to be one and this sentence is like the essence of an INTP.

Stargazing. Streetlights in my street didn't work for a whole week this summer and I would spend hours looking at the sky with this "Sky Map" app on my phone. After a few days, I was able to name the main stars effortlessly. I live in the outskirts of a small town, yet the light pollution is such that when it's fully on I can only see the brightest stars out there. I often wonder if I'll ever be able to go some place dark enough to see that miracle called the Milky Way.

Loved this chapter, by they way.

Lucia Deetz chapter 7 . 10/29/2017
"What was that?" she hissed, leaning forward
Ha! That's a question Jane often has on her lips when diners and gods are involved.

"Apparently, he can hold his liquor a lot better than Erik can."
Drinking game between Thor and Legolas, that I'd like to see.

As soon as you wrote about Jane's purse on the floor, I knew trouble would come out of it. I never ever ever put my purse on the floor, and if I really have to I stick it between my feet.

I'm glad Loki finally put an end to his hunger strike, and that story about the snake was wonderful!

Lucia Deetz chapter 6 . 10/27/2017
Go to YouTube and search for "The Tolkien Ensemble - The Old Walking Song (II) (The Complete Songs & Poems - CD1)". Click on the video and enjoy Peace.

Other favorites of mine are "Sam's Song in the Orc-Tower", "Hymn to Elbereth Gilthoniel (III)" and "Gandalf's Song of Lorien".

The LotR and Loki. My favorite book (you should have seen my face when 11-year-old me discovered a 1973 edition of The Hobbit buried in my parent's bookcase, along with The Fellowship of the Ring - red fabric cover, golden letters; the other two books are missing [after asking why, I was told they were a gift], but I kept these in my bookcase since then and a whole shelf is dedicated to Tolkien's bibliography) and my favorite fictional character ever. What a combination.

I absolutely LOVED this chapter.

Lucia Deetz chapter 5 . 10/27/2017
"I'm planning on touching it."
Yeah, we know how it went with the Aether...

"Wow," Darcy murmured.
I'm with Darcy here. Anyone's got a one-way ticket to Asgard? That description was pure poetry. Loki indeed did make poetry of his explanation - through your very skilled words.

Is it possible to feel nostalgia for a place we've never visited? Because that's how I feel now. Asgard or Rivendell, I'd pack up immediately were they real.

you-can-repay-me-wyour-body chapter 27 . 10/27/2017
This story is so amazing! I am so glad that my friend referred this to me, because my life has not been complete, and it wasn't until now. I'm sure that I will say the same thing after I read Brother Avengers, but for now, I am completely content. Thank you for writing this story! Your storyline is amazing, and I absolutely LOVE your portrayal of the characters! I am very eager to continue on in my reading! 3
Lucia Deetz chapter 4 . 10/26/2017
"Compared to my frame, you're made of paper."
Well is he a lady's man!

It looks like Loki "zinged" with the Tesseract. Have you ever seen Hotel Transylvania? That's where the "zing" concept comes from.
I love it how this story seems to merge seamlessly with what was canon before TA, and fills up the black holes that are scattered throughout the Marvel movies, for instance... in the post credits scene of "Thor" it's clear Erik was under some sort of spell as he repeated Loki's words, yet we can't exactly understand how Loki achieves this since his magical abilities in the movies are used so sparingly. I think he's like an iceberg: his illusions are just the tip of a huge block of ice, so your description of his magic is very fitting! And the metaphors - PURE ART.

Lucia Deetz chapter 3 . 10/25/2017
Well, is it love at first sight between Loki and Erik...

The thing that amazes me the most is that this story was written before The Avengers came out (please correct me if I'm wrong), so the first Thor movie was the only material to work on, yet every character is so IC. I can see Erik caring for Jane, I can see Darcy handing her taser over to Jane with a brisk "night-night", I can see Loki uttering caustic remarks and concocting plans. The characters are there, flesh and bones, in front of my eyes, each with their own developed personality.

Maybe I can manage another chapter before turning it...

Guest chapter 24 . 10/23/2017
Jane's Lovelife Timeline: Crushes on Thor who is cranky and arrogant for two hours before returning to his normal gorgeous, friendly, cheerful, attentive, heroic self, saving her life, and returning to Asgard to confront his "Evil Brother Loki".

"EBL" crash lands as "Fenris", who is cranky, sullen, arrogant, distraught for two weeks until she realizes he's in pain not insane. Normal Fenris is striking, brilliant, clever, funny, caring and captivated by same things as she. Darcy, Erik, Tony, Natasha, and Tracy the waitress can see how attracted they are. Except Jane. Thor's in her brain like a stalled Fenris-blocking high pressure front. Realization of this causes Fenris to withdraw and Jane to recognize her deeper feelings for him.

Then he is exposed as "Evil Brother Loki" even as he saves her life, and it's back to Square One.

The feelings she has for "Fenris" hold her. But she can't love Loki! Yet Thor forgives him. His family loves him. Odin explains what he has been through and how his deception made her "Fenris" possible. She still wears the Lokistone. Her defenses are coming down. Now she can speak his "names", recall his attentiveness, ask Heimdall to find him, be disappointed that he is hiding, not sharing with her the wondrous beauty of Asgard, so vividly brought to life here.

As every (slightly ajar) door Thor takes her past leads to a place she loves that is Loki's, drowning in the scent of flowers and memory of constellations Thor ignores as he pulls her away to watch some sparring practice in which she has no interest, memories come rushing back and by dinnertime she is longing and dreading for Loki to appear. I think it hurts Frigga's heart to see how lonely they are without one another. She has forced the point of no return and Jane must decide.

A very popular movie a few years back claimed that it doesn't matter if you have nothing in common if someone loves you enough to save your life. Yes it does. All the things you love in life matter. Jane has the best of both worlds if she will just reach out and take it. And at the moment her acceptance of her love for Loki is sweeping through her, she finds proof of his despair at the prospect of losing her and is overwhelmed and we along with her, because sometime, somewhere, we have all been there.

Beautiful!