Reviews for Firefly Season One
Talitarintti chapter 1 . 2/9/2016
So, I spent all weekend reading this and a couple days more. I read till four in the morning and woke up after few hours sleep looking like a zombie. And then I found out that the story isn't finished and it looks like it never will be 'cause Sahlinrob hasn't updated anything since 2013! Bloody hell! No writer's block will last that long, won't it? What happened?! Hope you're alright?
Now, if you, Sahlinrob, are still reading this, I would like you to know that you can write; don't listen those people who whine about misspelling. My mother tongue isn't english, far from it, but I still understand perfectly your stories. The point is, you have good stories, you can create and hold a character throughout the story, you can write dialogue and so on. Why don't you write a book and make a living out of it? Just a suggestion.
One thing more. I myself am not that grazy about River and Simon as everybody else seem to be. I'm more Malcolm and Inara -fan and maybe a Wash-fan, too. So if you come back and end this, please could you write a little more about Mal / Inara / Wash? Please?
Firefly-gal chapter 27 . 5/10/2015
Amazing! Hope there is more to come.
RionaEire chapter 27 . 6/13/2013
Fine chapter, got a lil' confusing toward the end there, but that doesn't necessarily mean that others were a tad confused, it could easily be just me. There's definitely a part of me that would want to just let River go out there and kill all the badguys, but I don't know how River would feel about that later and I don't want to let her do things like that unless she, in a lucid period of the day, says she's willing to do such things in these situations. Plus at this point they don't know how skilled she is at killing. Of course I would let River go for it without asking ahead of time if we needed the rescuing, afterwords she wouldn't regret it if she saved us all in the process, but with this situation we don't need saving, its others who need it and we haven't discussed that situation with her in advance, found out what she would want.
USAFChief chapter 22 . 5/31/2013
I find it more than a little disconcerting that you feel you have to repeat certain chapters to keep your readers "up to speed" so to speak. Some readers may like it - just like a flashback in a TV episode. I don't. Makes me feel like you think I can't remember what has come before - patronizing.

But it is your story. Tell it the way you want to.

The "River speak" you used in her conversation with Book was some of the very best I've ever read. Good job.

USAFChief chapter 12 . 5/29/2013
You keep using the term "it's self" There is no such term. The word you want to use is "itself."

I'm not sure where this is going, but I'm looking forward to the journey to see how the reunion River has looked forward to plays out.

I think you are portraying Simon very well...a perfect dork. I never did like the character which is a compliment to the writers and to the actor, I think. I do like Sean Meyer and I think he did a good job a making the character into someone without many saving graces. Even his dedication to his sister was overbearing most of the time.

Good work. Thanks for posting.

USAFChief chapter 10 . 5/28/2013
You often use the word buy when you mean by. Buy means to purchase something. While by has many meanings, it is almost always the word your should be using. Okay...that is another of my peeves with your spelling. Not spelling really, rather the use of the wrong word.

Excellent closing paragraph, just lovely. Really liked Simon's insightful interlude. Maybe something will come of it, but it's not likely for a while, I suspect.

Good exciting action along the way. Nice closure with Hayman adding a bit to the cashy money the Serenity crew has to work with.

Over all very good job on this story. Thanks for posting it.

USAFChief chapter 8 . 5/28/2013
Privet is a plant that grows into a hedge. I think what you mean is private. Most of your misspellings don't bother me, but this one does distract me considerably.
USAFChief chapter 6 . 5/28/2013
Something a little anticlimactic here...but not sure what it is. I just wanted a little more of the aftermath, I guess. But maybe that's coming in the next story.

Good job on this one. I like the plot very much. Dialog was crisp and I think you got Niska's voice very well. You do Wash so well that I wish sometimes he'd just shot up, much like I felt at time during the original. I like your portrayal of Book - nice job. Also, very well done with River inside Niska's mind.

Binky is my choice for sure. Who ever heard of naming a knife after a color? ;)

'Til next time.

Cheers!
USAFChief chapter 2 . 5/27/2013
I'm glad I discovered this series of Firefly stories that you've posted. I discovered Firefly much like you did, although I enjoy watching some network TV. I liked Nathan Fillion on Castle which led me to looking for other things he has been in and found Firefly and Serenity which I bought for myself for Christmas 2012. Since then I've devoured every decent Firefly story I can find on FFN. Some have not been worth wasting time reading, but others, like yours, are well done and intriguing.

I'm of the same generation that you are. Retired from the USAF and from civil service too. I'll be continuing to read more and let you know what I think as I move along.

All the best.

RionaEire chapter 26 . 5/22/2013
I'm glad Simon is going to see reason about not leaving Serenity, that wouldn't work out well I think. River feels at home here and Simon and River are both an important part of the crew. Last year I thought it would be a good idea to go off my psych medicine and try the naturopathic route. After nine months of that I got back on ye olde psych medicine, because I was in agony. Some people are able to manage with medicine from the earth, but I, after trying several things, know that I'm not one of those people. Unfortunately for some people, including me, it gets harder to get back to your baseline when you stop treatment and then start up again. I think after a month of missing medicines hopefully River won't experience that. It doesn't sound like she will which is good. But yeah, I'm still paying for going off for a while. At least I tried and now I know. You never know unless you try eh?
RionaEire chapter 25 . 5/8/2013
No wonder River is so upset, those rutters are coming to mow us all down. Good chapter, I like to believe that Jayne has decency inside him, even if it doesn't always see the light of day and even if he has been ignoring it for years. I like to believe it is in there. Well no Maharajas for me in this episode it seems, Ibrahim being of north African extraction. But if you want to have Inara contract with a Maharajaesque figure with a bearer in a later episode I will eagerly tune in on the edge of my seat. :) See you next time.
RionaEire chapter 24 . 5/1/2013
Crap you're a good writer, you write everyone so well, everyone's dialogue is perfect, they act just right like they would on the show, now granted I remembered you didn't write all of the dialogue, but you wrote some of it, because I'm pretty sure the fanscripts you're working from are fairly minimal and don't include everything that is in these stories, meaning you make up a good chunk of the action and dialogue. Its just so well done, some of the best work here currently by leaps and bounds. I hope Mal kills that rutter Caris, he needs to die, now. Simon's reflections are very well written, you capture his charactor well here, you usually do, only occasionally do I see things from him that are off kilter, everything here is spot on. He needs to realize though that really Serenity is the best place for him and River both, its their home now. He is meant to be with Kaylee and its a family for he and River, and she's happiest being here with the crew where she cares about people and she can do things and help aboard ship and save people sometimes and have adventures. Its the best place for her, she can use her intellect to help fly and save everyone and problem solve and help her crewmates and they can look after her. Its just right. Maybe it will take him a little while to see that. The cro magnon commentary about Jayne is great too, so Simon. Its all written so well. I still wish Ibrahim had a bearer who is handsome and calls him sahib, yum, Riona's in love and the charactor hasn't even been put into the story yet, but you know you should, :) Now granted I'm already in love with Simon, but a lady can love more than one man at a time. :)
RionaEire chapter 22 . 5/1/2013
Great writing, from Kaylee angrily slithering to the clatter of her tools, the sensory descriptions as they fell to the floor. I also liked Kaylee's comment about how they're so close to the edge that they're one job away from falling over it. As for River, I'm pretty worried about this situation with Erikson. I don't think she can save him from his choices and his path in life. I think she thinks she can though. I think at best she can convince him not to turn her in and kill the crew, because of the friendship and feelings that two younger people had for each other once upon a time. But this isn't a fairy tale and I think that at best she will make him think twice about his place in the world and he will spare her and her crew. I don't think anything more will come of it though realistically. Neither of them are the same kids they were a few years back when they knew each other in that other far away life. I feel bad for Book, having to keep this a secret, but I'm glad he was able to suss out River's meaning and understand what she's talking about. Its important for River, or anyone, to feel understood. He'll have to keep it a secret though which is why I feel bad for him. As for using the other shuttle, its been disabled and so I suppose that's all they can do, if she wants to use that as her quarters then she can do that. What I fear though is that she'll figure out how to disable the disabling, since you've given her extra powers in your stories that she doesn't have in the show, and she'll fly it somewhere. I feel like warning Simon, I'm not under any confidentiality rules. Though now upon thinking about it I'd warn Mal, its not good for Simon to always be the person who steps on River's plans, sometimes in life we need to share the responsabilities.
cilepe chapter 8 . 4/30/2013
I am really enjoying stories. It's great that Firefly should continue. I don't know if you're currently using a beta reader or not, but there are a few mistakes and you have a tendency to use four words where one would do. There was also an instance of 'irregardless'. It's commonly used, but it isn't a proper word.
Charlotte chapter 1 . 4/28/2013
Sorry, if its okay to point this out when you were describing the cd player you wrote DVD player instead. I assumed you meant that so I thought I should let you know. This seems amazing so far by the way, can't wait to read the rest
52 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »