Reviews for When Night Falls
the brown cow chapter 4 . 11/14/2013
I dunno, ahsoka is either stupid or incredibly naive
BTM707 chapter 66 . 10/28/2013
It's always rare to find a story that pulls one in so tightly, one that beckons to be read when away from it. And this had to be the most gripping example of such a story that I've ever had the pleasure of coming across. Your painting of the adventure was so vivid, and unexplainably real, that I would be drawn back to it every few hours, even staying up into the late hours of the morning for several consecutive nights just to knock off one more chapter. It was certainly an emotional, and at times quite frustrating, ride that you created - I found myself in tears several times towards the end, which was a sure sign that I was attached to your story if ever there was one. I'm almost upset that I won't have it to come back to now, but if you're in the midst of a sequel, I may very well be obligated to check it out.

Well done, on the creation of such a fantastic rendering of this incredible journey. I'm not sure I'll ever get the thoughts you've made me think regarding these themes out of my head. My greatest hope right now is that I'll find a few days' reprieve someday soon, so that I may find the obligation to recount this story's masterful telling all over again. Congrats on the success; it's very well-earned. :)
Talath Amanya chapter 66 . 10/17/2013
Wow! Amazing story! I usually don't like Order 66 or post order 66 stories, but this one totally captivated me! I thought it was kinda funny that there are 66 chapters... :P Again, crazy amazing story!
Waffles Risa chapter 7 . 7/20/2013
I AM CRYING IN MY SEAT HERE. TT_TT
Antarctic Sunset chapter 29 . 7/13/2013
"The light from your eyes shows me the way, when night falls."

That's it. Wonderful and amazing inflexion point, this is when she finally feels she has to tell Rex her true feelings, I'm enjoying this story way too much :D
Antarctic Sunset chapter 16 . 7/10/2013
This is getting really interesting :D The tension between Ahsoka and Rex is so visible, I hope it end up in "very good" terms hehe
Satsuma Red chapter 7 . 6/12/2013
Yay for cull. Tis a shame he didn't join although he'd already made up his mind. It was a good, honorable choice.
impoeia chapter 66 . 5/7/2013
*Sigh* It's always so sad when a great story come to an end, but I must say, as far as endings go, this was a great one. Loved the fact that Rex got to put in his two credits worth on the attachment argument. I think it's important for Obi-Wan to hear the argument from the side of a non-Force-sensitive. Gives a little perspective and this was simply great. These two men have shared a lot and I love the fact that Obi-Wan, despite everything that has happened, still respects Rex enough to heed his feelings and opinions. The question about Cody was inevitable, I suppose, but I love how you handled it. The explanation that the Contingency Orders were unthinking reflex, that Cody probably regretted the action as soon as he gave the order, made such perfect sense and really fits into Cody's character. It's always difficult to explain why good men like Cody, or Wolffe or Bly complied with Order 66, but I think your take explains it the best.

And Derek and Ahsoka got Knightd! I have to say, I am thrilled. The idea of them being left as orphaned Padawans was quite depressing. They have far outgrown the limitations of Padawans and it was good of Obi-Wan to recognize that fact. Just as it was good of him to realize that he belongs to an Order that is now more or less obsolete in this new galaxy. He's right of course, the New Order needs Jedi like Ahsoka and Derek, who are not so set in their ways to explore new avenues of the Force, discover new interpretations. I am greatly looking forward to what they will make of their lives from now on. It seems they are already fully embroiled in the rising rebellion, but many questions are left unanswered. But then, that is the qualification of a good ending: leave some loose threads for the reader to wonder about. That is what makes it real.

May the Force be with you, for writing such an amazing story.
impoeia chapter 65 . 5/4/2013
I think including Obi-Wan in this story was a great idea. He's exactly the right type of Jedi to be the first one confronted with the opinions and lifestyle of this survivor generation. He's wise and steeped in the traditions of the Jedi, but he is open-minded, experienced and compassionate enough to listen before he judges. Which is exactly how you portrayed him and I can only say, fantastic job in that! This was Obi-Wan to the bone, a little hesitant in being confronted with what he has been taught is wrong, but never so close-minded as to throw the young ones out on their ears. I think you especially captured him in his dealings with Derek. How he is trying to gauge the other man's reaction to his loss (having, after all, had a close encounter with what grief can do), but also trying to be tactful about it, not wanting to hurt Derek more than he already is. You can tell he learned a lot from his dealings (and, perhaps, failures) with Anakin.

It was also great seeing the heroes through the eyes of someone else, being able to se how much they've changed. This is particularly true for Ahsoka, of course, but I liked how you added that little detail about Rex growing a beard and comparing him with Cody. Shows just how far Rex has moved away from his life in the GAR.

Besides Ahsoka's firm stance on love (which was a lovely speech, by the way. Wonderfully thought out), what really got me was the comment about Cyrodil. Obi-Wan dithering over tea...that was just such a classic moment and made me smile. It's good to see that despite the changes taking place, some things will never change.
impoeia chapter 64 . 5/2/2013
I have to say, this is a little torturous for Derik, but then, perhaps it is a necessary torture. One last chance to say what he needs to say and to get many of his doubts off of his chest. And to hear Britani's own reassurances. It's something a lot of us would want, I guess, to have one last talk with a lost loved one, even if it is torturous. And it seems to have helped.

A nice imagine of Brit. She always had a little something of a more...not sure what the word is...luminescent? otherwordly? presence about her. I like the idea that now that she is one with the Force, the Force gives her the strength she always had in the spiritual sense, but keeping her inner essence the same. It fits her, like death was no more than a chrysalis for her.

Nice way to work in some future hope and a sequel. I like the idea that Derik might some day find a new love; not a replacement for Brit, but simply someone he will love and who will share his life with him. I would hate to see him spent his rest of his life alone, always with that bittersweet reminder of what he lost in Rex and Ahsoka. I do wonder who could capture his attention. Well, now you have me all curious again all over. Good job.
impoeia chapter 63 . 5/1/2013
What an absolutely beautiful way to bring a story to a close. I like how it started out in a more humorous note, what with the 'zonking out' and all that, and the progressed to the more serious, bittersweet and sweet reminiscing and acknowledgements. It's a very natural progression for a conversation between Ahsoka and Rex; fitting to the characters and the situation they are in.

Ahsoka's analysis of Britani's beliefs are very accurate and I find her conclusion on them make sense. Perhaps, this is how the Jedi Order was meant to be, and I wonder how she will input this new realization in the future.

A wonderful idea to end this chapter with the Togruti poem. It was introduced into the story at a time of intense darkness for both characters, so hearing it now, in the context of new hope and confessed love brings about a nice end, a tying off of loose strings. Night has fallen, but there is light still. Simply beautiful.
impoeia chapter 62 . 4/30/2013
It's quite amusing to see Rex struggling with romantic and philosophical ideas. He's such a down to earth type of guy that these thoughts, under normal circumstances, would be difficult to integrate into his character, but I really like how you did that here. Interspersing his musings about his relationship with Ahsoka and how that equals the state of the galaxy with his thoughts about getting the right kit and coming firefights...that just made it so Rex. And it made my lips quirk up in a smile, because Rex and romantic notions in one was just quite adorable.

My opinion of Derik just keeps skyrocketing, the more I read about him. He's grown up a lot and under the hardest of circumstances, but right now, I can't help but admire his strength, his courage and his conviction. It's good to know that he will stay with Ahsoka and Rex. I really think those three need each other right now and not just for the safety in numbers bit.

Working in the stars into Derik's musing about Britani and the dead was wonderful, by the way. There's no greater metaphor for love and death than the stars, nor for Jedi by themselves and I loved how you touched on all three of these layers and more. There's sadness, but there's also hope...just because some stars refuse to go out.
impoeia chapter 61 . 4/29/2013
Loved the way you worked in one last confrontation with the Empire. Did I spot a bit of Han Solo flying in that scene? I'm not sure, I've only recently re-watched the original trilogy, so I might be imagining things. Anyway, classic reckless flying. Only Ahsoka could come up with a plan like that and it was a great way to deliver one final slap to the Empire. Just goes to show you how much damage three people and a droid can do.

That image of the group hug was sweet and wonderful. Now, more than ever, these three need each other. There's strength in unity, but also healing and I think you've demonstrated that here, as you did throughout the story. I'm glad to see that Ahsoka also gets the chance for a little emotional relief. She's been under a lot of pressure and I was wondering when the breaking point would come. This, is think, suited her perfectly. A good opposition to her master's choice of dealing with emotional anguish, which is alone and getting angry, rather than seeking the comfort and support of others and to allow true healing to occur.

Ah, and Cad Bane has a heart. Who would have guesses? Certainly he wouldn't. And he's still in denial about it. I love that about Bane. All the really good badasses have some type of moral side to them; it think that is what makes them so good at what they do. And after all, Bane isn't really evil. He's just ruthless and conniving and in his own twisted and shriveled way honorable. And I love how you've shown that throughout this story. I think him looking out at that little point of light is wonderfully philosophical, both concerning Bane and how it represents Ahsoka. There's hope yet. And what better terms to part under than with a feeling of hope?
impoeia chapter 60 . 4/28/2013
It seems to me that Derik has made a turn for the better, despite the terrible circumstances under which it has come about. Instead of giving in to his anger, he has found the strength to walk away from it, something you very nicely demonstrated the several times in which he bit back a rather angry response. From the first time you introduced Derik, I thought that he shared some important characteristics with Anakin, like passion and a tendency towards a darker temper. But in many ways, Derik is the Jedi Anakin could have been and this scene is one of the many examples. Whereas even the threat of the death of a loved one turned Anakin to the dark side, the death of Britani seems to have turned him permanently to the light side. He's wounded and bitter and heart-sore, there's not doubt about it, but he is determined to be a true Jedi for the sake of her memory and that proves a strength of character I always thought Anakin kind of lacked.

I really enjoyed reading this chapter, particularly the reappearance of Todo. I've come to be very fond of that little droid. He's such a great addition to the group.
impoeia chapter 59 . 4/27/2013
Let me just say that you have written a truly beautiful farewell scene for Britani and Derik. It was bittersweet, brave and passionate; it was tragic and sad and utterly unfair. It was everything a farewell scene should be and you did so while integrating traditional elements without letting them become cliche. Like the final kiss. That was simply, uniquely, a moment between these two young people, who never really had a chance to experience a life together.

I am truly happy that Britani and Derik had these final moments together, but I am also glad that Brit had the chance to give out a final piece of advice to the others. At least now, she can die knowing that others will have what she and Derik missed and it fits into her character to encourage Ahsoka and Rex in their romance, even as hers comes to an untimely death. She simply is a noble and passionate person all around.

I don't think theres anything else I can say other than: wow and amazingly, beautifully written.
1,181 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 13 .. Last Next »