Reviews for When Night Falls
impoeia chapter 58 . 4/26/2013
Okay, deep breath...calm racing heart...brush the wet tissues off the desk. I cannot begin to tell you how muchI am blown away by this chapter (bad choice of words, considering, I know, but that's the best I can do).

First off, the twist of using droids to protect Ahsoka and the rest was simply brilliant. What a great twist on the usual events. I can only imagine how surreal that must have been for Rex and Ahsoka and I love how Rex actually shot one of them first. You always pay attention to the details and it is little gestures like this that not only add dimension to the characters, but also reality to the events.

And now we know Bane's plan. I must say, it is appropriately devious, self-serving and has just an element of righteousness to it. Basically, Cad Bane gave the Emperor a taste of his own medicine, but what I like is that, despite all the despicable things he did, he is still true to his own honor code. I mean, technically, he did not brake his contract with Sidious. He delivered the Jedi as promised. But then, as soon as payment is delivered, the contract ends and Cad Bane can do what he wants; including helping the Jedi escape and getting the Emperor really, really mad. His conversation with Sidious was also very enlightening. Cad Bane always walks a strange line of corruption and honor (something I really liked in "The Box" episode) and the fact that he is giving Sidious advice on karma and payback was great. It fit him and I like how he seems to see that his motivations are from more than just revenge, though he would of course never admit it. And that final sentence was brilliant. Pure Cad Bane.

Now to the sad part. *Sniff* Brilliantly written and imagined. I cannot think of a more fitting end for Britani Matalis. It was a noble gesture, one holding with the purest form of Jedi tradition. Britani sacrificed herself on her own terms, listening to the Force and following its guidance. The fact that she basically became one with the Force even before she died just shows just how pure her intent and how deep her trust in the Force was. She died a true Jedi. That's all I can say.
impoeia chapter 57 . 4/25/2013
What a great plot twist; to have the heroes be given a chance at escape just when things began to look their bleakest. It just goes to show you that even when the hour is darkest, there is still the chance of hope. I like the image of salvation dropping from the sky. It was both very metaphorical and a great strategy, considering the size of the facility. Who ever thinks of looking up?

I have to say you really captured the ceremonious nature that the army takes on after Sidious becomes Emperor. That's something that really impressed itself upon me in the original Star Wars films and I'm glad to see it here. Really connects the fic with the original GFFA storyline. And might I add that I am thrilled to see Wolffe appear in this story, while at the same time, my heart simply breaks at the man he has become. That, and the order to kill all of these men under his command, really shook me. What a horrifying world the Empire is, and you've captured its nature in that order. It makes my skin crawl, but I applaud your ability to capture a moment and make it stick in the mind.

Going along with that, I think that last image of Darth Sidious laughing at Ahsoka is going to stay with me for a while as well. What a great way in which to end a chapter. Really wonderfully done.
impoeia chapter 56 . 4/24/2013
When Bane started thinking along the lines of "mass assassination gig" in order to make him feel like his old, ruthless self again, that made me smile. It was also a wonderful way for you to pull back a little on the reflective thoughts and remind the reader of who Bane really is. I've said it before, but you really manage to walk that tightrope between keeping someone in character and exploring sides of that character that the series does not. You really did that here with Bane, with him contemplating not just Ahsoka and her actions towards him. That's most definitely new, but you've never once made it feel like it was OOC behaviour and I admire that deeply.

You did an amazing job with Ahsoka's character in this chapter. I really liked how you broke down all the things she believed she had failed in: 1) the righteousness of her cause, 2) her skills and 3) her attempt to connect with Bane. All of these things have truth in them; Ahosoka was fighting for a just cause, her motivations were good, she and Rex do have amazing skills and on some level, she did connect with Bane. But now she has to realize that you can do everything right and do everything for the right reason and it might still blow up in your face. For someone like her, that must be a huge blow to her psyche and the emotionality of the part, as well as the groundwork you laid out in previous chapters, really makes her giving up a realistic thing to do. (For the moment at least, I can't really see her just giving in to defeat forever.) Again, you've managed to balance staying in-character, while exploring a new avenue for the character's development to take.

And you did it all in a chapter that was, as always, amazingly written.
impoeia chapter 55 . 4/23/2013
And so Cad Bane begins the endgame. What an absolutely riveting confrontation you set up. I loved the fact that Derik provoked this by taking matters into his own hand. He is the perfect character to act as a foil to Bane. The bounty hunter is way to used to the more moral oriented type of Jedi that Ahsoka and Britani are and he knows that Rex will go along with Ahsoka's decision. But Derik has always been the wild card and I loved that Bane forgot this little detail enough, so that Derik could get the jump on him. Bet that's the last time Bane is going to go to sleep. And I thought it was great how you worked in the "type of man" question into Derik's confrontation with Ahsoka. It's a good comparison to Rex's actions, who also acted out of a sense of right and was confronted with this question by a disappointed and angry associate. This really makes one think about the moral basis of decisions and when good intentions cross the line to selfish intent.

The little surprise you worked into the wristcoms was fantastic, really the perfect device for the job and absolutely devious on Bane's part. You just never know what trick that bounty hunter is going to pull out of his big hat and you really captured that here. Never saw it coming.

I did, however, had to laugh a little at Rex and Ashoka being interrupted again. Those two just cannot catch a break and I bet Rex would have been more than happy to strangle Derik at that point. The scenes with those two are just so sweet and are a great juxtaposition to the more intense parts of the chapter, particularly Derik's plot. That last line in particular grabbed me: "For the last time, he'd failed her when she needed him most." Quite the powerful statement to take into unconsciousness and I wonder how Rex is going to deal with that. And I cannot wait to see Bane's plot finally revealed.
Blue Raspberry Boy chapter 63 . 4/22/2013
Love the ending! Rexsoka fluff long overdue, and at least Derik has somewhat of a happy ending. Feel like Bane was pointed more towards redemption but it's a long time before he'll do something like that again.

Wow. It feels bittersweet but incredible to have finished the story. It was a long, satisfying, and worthy tale that I loved from start to finish. I cannot WAIT for sequels, prequels, or whatever else you have in store. I'm so happy and elated!
Blue Raspberry Boy chapter 58 . 4/22/2013
Woot! Loved this chapter! All the action!

It was really sad that Britani died, but I was glad to see that she died in self-sacrifice...it was a fitting death for her but nonetheless tragic. I really liked her character and now she's fading :(

"You play dirty, old man. But I'm always dirtier." Well, dayumm...can I say I LOVED that line? It sounds JUST like Bane. That was awesome to see him standing up to Sidious (albeit a hologram of Sidious, but still). Of course Bane rescued them because he ended up not getting paid, but it was cool to see him use battle droids to save them. Now that I know a sequel is in store it makes me very worried of what Sidious might try to do with Bane to make him pay, because we all know Sidious is cruel and unmerciful in his own way. But to see Bane talk dirty right back to him is the most badass thing I have read in a long, long time. This is my new favorite chapter.
Blue Raspberry Boy chapter 56 . 4/22/2013
Aww yeah...my suspicions from all along have been confirmed. Of course Bane has been planning this the whole time!

*cue evil laugh*

But, seriously...my heart is starting to break for Ahsoka and the others, especially her. To have come so far and be betrayed like this has got to hurt. It must hurt her the most because she wanted to trust Bane more than any of them, and now all she did for him has been spat back in her face. It can't get much worse than this.

I really like how the story is turning out and look forward to see how you wrap this all up :)
Blue Raspberry Boy chapter 53 . 4/22/2013
Yes! I knew it wasn't all black-and-white!

I was kind of startled when Todo 360 spilled the truth, but of course that was your intention so you pulled it off well. Up until that point the conversation was quite amusing; characters like Todo 360 (or most droids for that matter) can really add a bit of necessary comic relief to a story. Other than that I don't have much more to say about this chapter other than that I'm glad things are stirring up between them again, especially after all Ahsoka did for Bane - I feel a rising crisis is building up that might blow their cover. Can't wait to see how this turns out.
Blue Raspberry Boy chapter 52 . 4/22/2013
VERY emotional stuff here!

I'm glad Bane finally let Ahsoka in and I loved the conversations that led up to it. I felt a bit surprised that he would let her do it because I was expecting a sort of Point of No Return - that if he doesn't let her get him through this now it will seriously cost him, physically or mentally or both. Nevertheless I loved your approach. It makes Ahsoka's efforts in the past FIFTY-SEVEN CHAPTERS all the more worth it and it felt like a relief to see the end result. And for Bane it was a HUGE step for him to let her in like that, so for his character that is saying a lot...again, a bit surprising, but you did a fantastic job with your take on it. Bane's decreasing resistance throughout the chapter also showed a lot about his personality. I was kind of expecting a dark revelation for Ahsoka, like something from Bane's past buried deep down that she suddenly has to reenact in order to fully "help" him - or even Bane realizes something about Ahsoka or the Force. It would have been a startling but interesting twist. But, of course, not to say I wasn't on the edge of my seat the whole time, and I loved every bit of this chapter. My favorite line was: "Not happy. Not peaceful. Certainly not grateful. But... he could almost understand why one might feel that way, in some circumstances. Almost." It was both beautiful and tragic to hear that about Cad Bane, that happiness, peace, and gratitude are things he can never know for himself but perhaps get a small glimpse of for one fleeting moment. I know you mentioned this in a previous author's note but I like that you aren't doing the whole redemption story for Bane, as much as redemption makes for a cool story; there is nothing that annoys and bores me more than a self-insert Mary-Sue hero who transforms a villain into a hero because of one convicting phrase or one gentle touch...maybe one ACT of kindness but it has to be a damn-good one! And I don't see any trace of that in this story. I see hints that Bane is becoming more willing to understand Ahsoka & Co. as well as come to terms with his own garbage, just like in this chapter. That's hard to do as a writer and I commend you for that! Well on to the next chapter :)
impoeia chapter 54 . 4/22/2013
This conversation between Britani and Rex was amazing. Not only did it give both of them the chance to get to know each other a little better, but it also revealed so much about the characters to the reader. Britani's wisdom and her maturity never ceases to amaze me. At times, she seems like a mix between Master Yoda, Kenobi and Luminara Unduli in her poise, as well as in the way she treats the Force and how she counsels others. And then, you get these insights of hers into other people and you just realize that she is very much her own person. The way you contrast her relationship with the Force really sets her apart from other Jedi.

Rex's internal conflict about his actions and his motivations and the way in which you describe them is simply beyond words. Fan-kriffing-tastic! You've really captured his humanity, his constant struggles with not just his new relationship with Ahsoka, but also the struggle between the man he was and the man he is beginning to become in the aftermath of Order 66. That description of "the faded emblem of the Old Republic was still faintly visible across his black bodysuit" really captured my attention and my imagination. What the Republic was and what it made Rex is fading, but its shadow is still there and he will have to find a way to carry that with him. I just loved it! Everything about this scene was wonderful.

And then you ended with a cliffie. I must say that was very naughty, but I am starting to get used to it. And what is Derik up to? You really know how to get a reader jumping on the next chapter.
CC-2224 Commander Cody chapter 66 . 4/7/2013
omg such a great story... really glad i found this one buried deep within the thousands of stories on this site. you portrayed Ahsoka, Rex & Bane perfectly from what i can recollect. it was such a moving and emotional story :)
sunburst223 chapter 66 . 4/6/2013
A wonderful ending to a wonderful story. I'm still a bit iffy on Rexsoka as a whole but I can easily say I enjoyed every single part of the story and even found myself anticipating Rex and Ahsoka's talk. The romance and friendship certianly served its purpose in the story and really drove home the point that we all need people we love and trust in our lives. I've always felt like the Jedi Council, while very wise was also very blind in regards to love and bonds. The parts of growth and sadness made me feel for the characters and Britani's death was singlehandly the saddest part of the story. I also loved the fluff even though I'm still a bit iffy on Rexsoka. I feel you ended this wonderfully when you drove home the point that while all of these characters had grown as people and had learned to leave some of their demons behind, new hardships would always be thrown at them. I'm sad I finished already.
sunburst223 chapter 64 . 4/6/2013
Poor Derik. Though I think one last visit from Britani is what he needed.
Blue Raspberry Boy chapter 46 . 4/6/2013
Me again.

Wow. Intense stuff.

This is always the side to WNF that I like - exploring the various ideals and values, especially in light of Order 66. Lots of other Order 66 fics I've read were too clean-cut, too black-and-white, "they were wrong, we were right, etc." But nothing is that simple, and having the guts to crawl through all the in-betweens of such a catastrophic event is no picnic.

And this chapter showed a great insight from the outsider's inside view - that is, someone outside both the Sith and the Jedi Order shedding their own light on the Order/Purge, and even the Clone Wars itself. It's something I love writing and reading about and your interpretation surely did not disappoint. And also, I ALWAYS have a good time watching Bane and Ahsoka go at it in the verbal boxing ring; sparks indeed fly and it's like both want to end up on top of the pile and keep trying to outwit the other. Very entertaining, but insightful. Although, I do love that it was mostly from Rex's perspective and how he was taking the conversation/argument/confrontation as it went. Of course, all three of them are approaching this hard topic from three different angles, angles that brush and crossroad here and there, but are still different. So many quotable quotes that I loved but I'll just touch on one of them.

"There's no such thing as a hero, certainly not among any of your ilk. Your type are dead because you never realized that."
-Again, the outsider's inside view. Cad Bane and anyone in his line of work does not believe in "heroes". To them, everyone is corrupt and cunning, and those who do "heroic" acts like self-sacrifice and mercy are the first to be killed off. Life is a battle in the gladiatorial ring, in which the law of survival of the fittest trumps any idea of a "hero". That isn't to say he is right or that Rex and Ahsoka are right as well; that's just their point of view.

I thought some of Bane's comments would have ticked Rex off a bit more, especially when he was talking about the Jedi's treatment of clones. And after all, Rex still has a hard time being in the same room with Bane much less getting along with him. Ahsoka seemed to handle herself pretty well, and I think this chapter really shows her efforts to try and form a sort of, how do I put it, "friendship" with Bane? They don't get along either, but I can tell she realizes their need to work past their difference and old baggage, and start anew. Also, Bane's motivation seems a bit obscure, enough that there almost can't be something else he's hiding from the others - and if there is another reason for his helping them, it should be showing up about now in some form. He did dodge Ahsoka's probing at that subject. However, I'm not seeing it. I'll just keep reading and see what happens next!
sunburst223 chapter 43 . 4/6/2013
I haven't reviewed in quite a while. I thought I might as well do just that. I love how you showed that Ahsoka is no longer the same person. If Vader does encounter Ahsoka at any given point in the story I'm curious how it will play out. It'll also be intresting to see the others meeting Britani.
1,181 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 .. Last Next »