Reviews for Scapegoat
ferryboat George chapter 9 . 11/23/2011
You actually skated close to the truth of the music box, did you guess that or did you see spoilers? The whole thing was over before I got interested in the show, so I watched it play straight through. Anyway, I loved this story, especially Peter's way of rescuing Neal, and I love the idea the Neal has fake IDs for Peter, just in case.
SupernaturalGeek chapter 9 . 11/17/2011
That was a perfect end to an utterly engaging, in character and enjoyable story.

I can't emphasise enough what a good job you did of capturing perfectly both Neal and Peter. The almost brotherly bond they share came through in every chapter as did the laugh-out-loud dry humour of their customary banter. It really was like watching an episode.

I really do want to quote this entire chapter, or at least the Neal and Peter parts (not that I didn't like Neal's conversation with Elizabeth it's just that they are my favourites). Instead I'm going to try and narrow it down to a few;

"He could feel Peter's full attention on him like a physical weight, simultaneously oppressive and comforting. Peter had always exuded a gravity that tugged Neal off course from his own erratic orbit into a more stable path."

That is such a perfect description of the effect Peter has on Neal. It's exactly the impression I get when I watch the two of them interact.

"Neal, I know you have an IQ higher than the national debt of most developing countries, so stop being an idiot."

Neal tipped his head on one side contemplatively. "I think there was a compliment in there somewhere, but it got lost in the abuse."

That made me chuckle, not least because I could hear them both in my head when I read it.

"No," This time it took a whole hand raised for Neal to subside a trifle sulkily. "And what part of 'be quiet' don't you understand?"

'The part where you actually think I'll stop talking.' Neal bit his lip to stop himself from actually saying that, but he wasn't surprised when Peter retorted.

"I heard that."

"I didn't say a word.

"You didn't have to; I know what you were thinking."

Again such a true Neal & Peter moment.

"I don't want anyone else as my partner. We work well together and...I trust you to have my back, weapon or not. Oh don't let it go to your head," he growled seeing the smug expression resurface on Neal's face.

The young man put up a hand like an obedient child in class. Peter gestured wearily. "Yes, you can talk now. What?"

"Did that hurt?"

"Little bit, yes."

I truly loved this. The warmth of Peter's declaration, which whilst unusually open for him didn't seem out of character particularly given he ended it with a typical dry comment about Neal's reaction, and the fact Neal diffused the emotion of the moment with his own trademark humour just really encapsulated the depth and complexity of their friendship. I could also easily picture their mutual-understanding-grins afterwards.

I'm not going to cut and paste this bit but I do just want to say the entire sequence when Peter explained how he was going to write the whole thing up and Neal's pride in his skill at preveracating was priceless, especially since it came complete with Jedi jokes :)

Peter looked simultaneously annoyed and entertained. "We can't all have multiple identities and fake IDs to back them up."

Seeing Neal stare at the ceiling with casual innocence, Peter sighed in resignation. "How many do I have, Neal?"

"Just one or two, you know, for emergencies - if you had to go on the run again."

This right here was (again) perfect; Peter really does always manage to look both annoyed and entertained whenever he catches Neal doing his 'thing' - and I never cease to be impressed at how well Tim DeKay can do that - but the underlying thought behind it this time, that Neal is giving Peter a way out if he ever needed it, is yet another example of their unique bond and really well shown.

Finally I think my favourite part was Neal's unguarded comment about Peter always finding him as he was falling asleep. It felt the same as it did when I watched Neal's drugged confession about trusting Peter and you infused the scene with the same warmth and affection it had onscreen. The fact Neal was still awake enough to hear Peter's own declaration and the explanation of exactly what that now means - that it is about caring and protection these days rather than superiority or the law - really did hit the nail on the head.

I apologise for my rambling review but I couldn't stop once I started, which is testament to just how much I loved this story.

SupernaturalGeek chapter 8 . 11/17/2011
I loved Peter using what he's picked up from Neal - as well as his own sharp intelligence - to diffuse the situation with the Russian mob and retrieve Neal at the same time. Although I can't imagine Hughes will be quite as impressed!

The reunion was touching without being too mushy or out of character; I look forward to their inevitable conversation in the final chapter.
SupernaturalGeek chapter 6 . 11/17/2011
The image of poor Neal wedged in a chimmney hoping Peter will find him and praying he's not already dead is such a sad one. I have faith Peter is still alive but I'm still anxious as I move on to the next chapter.

I keep coming across so many parts I want to quote that I might as well just highlight the entire story. I did have one from (I think) the previous chapter though which really stood out;

A full confession went against a lifetime of experience, but he remembered the overwhelming relief when he had seen Peter in his room the night before and the accompanying sensation of safety, which had been swiftly chased down by the less familiar feeling of guilt.

You perfectly described there the safety and security Peter gives Neal however much part of him might still want to play the conman.

I really am enjoying this immensely.
SupernaturalGeek chapter 3 . 11/17/2011
I just wanted to stop long enough to highlight yet another staple of the friendship between Peter and Neal which you captured perfectly;

Caffrey could drive Peter crazy faster than Superman could leap tall buildings, but he could disarm him just as fast.

It's another thing I always notice, the way a single look or word from Neal can make Peter go from angry to concerned in a second. It's reminiscent (for me) of the way a big brother would react.
SupernaturalGeek chapter 2 . 11/17/2011
This is off to a really great start; I'm both intrigued about what exactly Neal is mixed up in and anxious about the trouble he appears to be smack in the middle of.

What is most impressive is that you have captured both Neal and Peter completely perfectly. They are exactly as they appear onscreen and you're also showing their friendship/bond to a 'T'.

I had a few favourite parts but I'm quoting this one because it really does sum up one of the key things I've always noticed, that Neal is changing Peter as much as Peter is changing Neal;

On the other side of the coin, his friendship with Neal had shown him a criminal who exemplified loyalty and an admittedly skewed, but genuine, version of honour. Caught in this dichotomy, Peter felt himself being pulled apart at the seams, long-standing convictions starting to fray at the edges.
joy2190 chapter 9 . 11/3/2011
This is beautifully written - I would love to see it as an actual episode on TV. The plot and characterization are as good as anything in actual WC so far. By far the best WC fanfic I have read.
Autumnights chapter 9 . 10/25/2011
Fantastic!
shrutip chapter 9 . 10/2/2011
Came across your story just now...AMAZING! is all I can say...the characterizations, the voices, the bromance, the situations...everything was spot on! you could actually write for the show, I'm not joking! LOVED reading this story...the best part of coming across a complete story is no nail-biting waiting for further chapters :D Looking forward to your next White Collar fic!
Sholio chapter 9 . 9/10/2011
I think that I will quite happily read any WC stories that you write. :) You just do such a great job with these guys and the way they relate to each other, and you really nail some of my favorite things. Neal thinking Peter is dead! Protective Peter! Protective Neal! Sweet worried El! Both of the guys dragging themselves through hell and high water to save each other! Oh YES. This was such a lovely read.
LvSammy chapter 9 . 9/3/2011
OMG! This was wonderful. I truly enjoyed reading this one! THanks for the entertainment.
BellaHarvest chapter 4 . 8/28/2011
It's been awhile since you posted this, but I'm only just getting around to reading the rest of it. I want to take the time to leave some feedback on the individual chapters because I figured (favorable) reviews are always appreciated. :)

I really like what you did with this chapter. One of my all-time favorite WhiCo moments is the heart-to-heart talk Peter and Neal have in Peter's darkened living room in Free Fall. I think you captured a similar atmosphere here. Peter is curious but he understands that an 'interrogation' is not going to get him any straight answers. And Neal, of course, delivers the answers, one thin slice of truth at a time. Very much in-character! Mix in some mutual protectiveness and and I'm in gooey WhiCo heaven.

On to the next chapter...
sandra.b chapter 9 . 8/15/2011
Hi. I really loved this story! It is perfect! The characterization is spot on throughout the whole story, lots of action and Peter/Neal friendship/hurt comfort, which is awesome:). You also must have spent a lot of time on research and plot development, which totally paid off! You really know how to paint pictures with words, it was a pleasure to read this! Cant wait for your next white collar fic. And I don't normally read Supernatural fanfic, but I might try yours:)
Kelcor chapter 9 . 8/15/2011
I am a new fan to White Collar - as in, just discovered it a week or so ago! I've finally watched all the episodes! Yay! And I truly loved this fanfic! Great job! :o)

~Kelcor
Dreolin chapter 9 . 8/4/2011
I loved your story! It was well thought through, well written, and consistent from beginning to end. I could have seen this as an episode. Great job! :)
227 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 13 .. Last Next »