Reviews for Opposites
ThePandaFangirl chapter 1 . 10/30/2012
great fanfic, especially if it was your 1st. I'd just like to say that sweetie and rarity's parents are alive(watch sisterhooves social) and i really like how spike acted when rarity was unconcious. tho i probably shouldn't be talking about how it was your first, since i haven't even written one yet(but i've got some ideas!) u should read near death experience by hadles, it's rated t tho.
Endam chapter 1 . 8/11/2011
That was good!

And yes I am.
XNULLX chapter 1 . 8/9/2011
I really like this, and think it's a great start for your first story. Making the force of Rarity's personality her own worst enemy seems to work incredibly well here, much like it does in the actual show. Your portrayal of Ditzy Doo is also a great interpretation of her character, and her dissonant personality clashing with Rarity's makes the entire thing a very entertaining read. I think you did manage to keep everyone in character, and I like the addition of Rarity getting all flustered over grammar. I can definitely see her thinking such things without voicing her opinions and letting it slowly grate at her.
Berlioz II chapter 1 . 6/5/2011
Well, for your first fanfic, not a bad job at all. The story had good pacing, appropriately MLP'ish progression of plot, and your grammar and sentencing was very good that never felt too bogged down with too much superfluous detail, yet also having enough of it to provide adequate setting.

The criticisms I'd have are all relatively minor and aren't really major dealbreakers one way or another. Rarity was perhaps a bit TOO OCD, particularly when it got to the grammar aspects; after all, she's still friends with ponys such as Applejack, whose speech is far from being very sophisticated and grammatically correct. Thus her reactions to Ditzy were perhaps a bit extreme even for her. But it did provide entertainment, so it's not something that really bothers me apart from a characterisation standpoint.

The fact that both Rarity and Ditzy lost parents in a fire was perhaps a mite convenient for them both, though of course that is also the point of the story in their reaching a mutual and complete understanding through similar circumstances of life (though I suppose either of them losing a parent in a different type of accident could have worked too). I did like the little hints in the story that led to the big sofa sob moment, so again this isn't a big point of trouble; particularly seeing how it is a major plot point to the story in the first place.

In connection to the above, the sofa moment got perhaps a slight bit too melodramatic and sobby too quickly and abruptly, something that is more a question of inflection, but still feeling a bit rushed through as in "Hear my sad story", followed quickly by "And here's mine", then "Let's both cry" and end scene. It's not a terribly done scene, but maybe feels as if it's missing "something" to feel fully satisfying. Also Ditzy's base behaviour was perhaps somewhat uneven. Now I have no idea how logorrhea works truly, but even taking into account what happens in the story, it seemed like Ditzy's personality was never fully locked down. This is particularly due to the pony not having any set character from which to work from or rely on, so the reader having no real basis to the character other than "hyper, clumsy, weird" at the start and then being confronted by a "sober, melancholy, normal" character toward the end comes to feel like one doesn't really know what the character in the end really is supposed to be like.

However, the above are really only small criticisms, and as I said before don't really matter all that much in light of the story as a whole. I'd say my final rating would be a strong 4/5.

- Jani
Rowanoak23 chapter 1 . 6/4/2011
I first read this story on Equestria Daily and I loved it! It's a rare interaction story between one of the Mane cast and a lesser background pony. It's done wonderfully with real explanations for Derpy's behavior. Makes you just wanna hug her. Love it!