Reviews for Children of the Night
PinkRangerV chapter 1 . 6/29/2011
Dear friends, here we mourn the loss of Darken Rahl, who very foolishly pissed off a Confessor who was clearly Not Interested. Let his death serve as a warning to anyone else dumb enough to think that having reproductive organs is enough to tame an incredibly powerful and superhuman woman with terrifyingly good aim and a desire to kill you.

(Seriously, I don't know whether to applaud Darken's nerve or facepalm, but this story rocks. :p)
Delectable Sweetness chapter 1 . 6/7/2011
This was good. I loved the confrontation between Kalhlan and Rahl. It was very engaging. :)
tinylexie chapter 1 . 6/5/2011
This was perfect in so many ways with so many wonderful moments. I loved when Darken said “Behind you” because I couldn’t help but be reminded of how Darken said that to Marianna before he killed her. Luckily for Kahlan, though, Darken didn’t have a sword, even though Darken would probably like to have a sword fight with Kahlan. We know that Darken likes strong women, and that he’s always ready for a good fight.

I liked how Darken insulted both Richard and Richard’s and Kahlan’s “epic” relationship. In both the books and the show it is established that Richard is always right. In the show, though, Richard would have been dead countless times if not for people such as Kahlan, Cara, and Zedd (Richard does need saving a lot). Yet, no matter how many times Kahlan bailed Richard out (especially in Season 1), I still feel like Kahlan is Richard’s subordinate. I don’t get that same impression when Kahlan is with Darken. Darken and Kahlan are both strong in their own ways; I don’t know if you would exactly consider them equals, but neither Darken nor Kahlan is a subordinate to the other.

I loved that you had Darken and Kahlan talking with each other, even if they were only arguing about why the other person was wrong; I liked the game of wits and the power struggles that could result between Darken and Kahlan (much more interesting to me that Richard’s and Kahlan’s tragic “I love you, but I can never have sex with you.”

Kahlan had to be thinking “What is wrong with this man?” when Darken called her magnificent in her hatred and looked at her in admiration after she slapped him. A typical Darken reaction, I loved it.

I liked how Darken told Kahlan how he had the qualities that a Confessor would look for in a mate, and I really loved how Darken explained to Kahlan how similar they were. Darken and Kahlan are both full of darkness, but Kahlan has to keep that darkness tamed around Richard. Richard and Kahlan are in love with the idea that they are perfect and that the other person is perfect. With Darken and Kahlan, though, there is no problem with each admitting that the other has flaws (which would lead to them falling in love with the real person and not with the idea of the person).

My favorite line was “We are creatures of the night, Kahlan. Let Richard have the sun.” Richard could never fully under Kahlan or the darkness that she tries so hard to keep buried deep down inside her. Richard came from a happy, loving family (even if they weren’t his biological family because there was no indication in the show that Richard was not loved). Darken and Kahlan, on the other hand, come for dark, traumatic childhoods in which both had to do whatever it took to survive. Neither Darken nor Kahlan has any problem with doing vicious things it such things are necessary for their benefit or advantage; for both Darken and Kahlan it was and still is survival of the fittest.

I also loved how this story wasn’t from the Reckoning AU. Don’t get me wrong, I love your Sharper than a Serpent’s Tooth (one of the best Lots fanfiction stories that I’ve read), and I love to explore the different ways in which Darken’s and Kahlan’s relationship could have went in Reckoning; but it’s still refreshing to read a Darken/Kahlan story that is not set in Reckoning.

I can’t wait to see what happens next in your Sharper than a Serpent’s Tooth, and maybe one day you can do something further with this piece. If not, it’s still an excellent one-shot.
meridian-rose chapter 1 . 6/5/2011